NFL networks Peter Schraeger

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
No it wasn't. It appears you don't know what that is. It has to be intentional to ice the kicker. That's how the saying came to be.
Cleary it was untintetional, but they iced the kicker. That cannot be denied, the proof is on film. Would it make you feel better to say the team effectivey iced their kicker?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid or not, it's always easier call it later, but I do agree when an offensive guru can't kick a field goal on second down with plenty time ahead
But to be honest I remember also Bruce Arians making the same call

I think Bruce made it though, so he is a genius...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Felt like an icing to me.. even KK acknowledged it pretty bluntly in his presser. But whatevs...all's well that's ends well.

That was the coach trying to take the blame for Zane's miss. No timeout and it is a 5 yard penalty. With the penalty, they may have run another play anyway instead of kicking it.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Again, I am not just blaming the coach. I am blaming the team (players and coaches).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cleary it was untintetional, but they iced the kicker. That cannot be denied, the proof is on film. Would it make you feel better to say the team effectivey iced their kicker?

It would make me feel better if you use the right terminology. It would be like calling a shovel pass a run. It isn't.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Coach K got his arse kicked after last year's bye week. Let him hear some criticism so they don't sit on their laurels again this year in their bye week.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was the coach trying to take the blame for Zane's miss. No timeout and it is a 5 yard penalty. With the penalty, they may have run another play anyway instead of kicking it.
I get the concept. I'm just pointing out that when a kicker makes his field goal, then you put him right back out there to kick another one after the timeout, that just a recipe for disaster...and thats what happened. I was screaming at the TV to run it once or twice more just for this reason alone after that timeout. I think that's what KK was acknowledging. Jmo.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the concept. I'm just pointing out that when a kicker makes his field goal, then you put him right back out there to kick another one after the timeout, that just a recipe for disaster...and thats what happened. I was screaming at the TV to run it once or twice more just for this reason alone after that timeout. I think that's what KK was acknowledging. Jmo.

Completely agree. I was telling Linder that he should have ran another play first even after the time out.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coach K got his arse kicked after last year's bye week. Let him hear some criticism so they don't sit on their laurels again this year in their bye week.

I got a stat from Mulli before the game stating that the last 8 teams who played on a short week have beat the team coming off a bye week by an average of 14 points.

Seems like it is going around.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I blame kk not for the timeout but for kicking the field on second down when they were marching on the field pretty easily

If I remember correctly on the play prior, we had been stuffed for a loss.

Why risk being further pushed back when you are well within our kicker's range?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They didn’t? Obviously the team didn’t communicate quickly enough, didn’t set up quickly enough, and didn’t snap the ball in time forcing them to call time out as our kicker made the kick. Then after the timeout the kicker botched it. Obviously, it wasn’t intentional but that is the very definition of icing a kicker.

Except that old "saw" is meaningless.

Kickers welcome two kicks.

They adjust after the first try.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
agreed. we should have kept trying to get closer
But he admitted for being too conservative, I think great part of the nfl coaches would have called the field goal, I just stated I didn't expect it from an offensive mind like Kingsbury, and he did regret on the choice

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I remember correctly on the play prior, we had been stuffed for a loss.

Why risk being further pushed back when you are well within our kicker's range?

But if u change your mindset just because the previously play didnt go well and u let that play affect your philosophy then in most cases doesn't pay off
Its not something I expect from kk

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
But he admitted for being too conservative, I think great part of the nfl coaches would have called the field goal, I just stated I didn't expect it from an offensive mind like Kingsbury, and he did regret on the choice

I think he was feeling that 4th down failure from earlier.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
For the people arguing against kicking it on 2nd down. Would you have felt differently if they were 10-15 yards closer and thus had a chip shot to win? Was it an issue with it being 2nd down only or that it was 2nd down and a 41 yard field goal?

For me personally, if it’s a chip shot than it doesn’t matter what down it is because it wins the game, but I suppose with it being a 41 yarder it would make more sense to at least get some more yards before kicking.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Meh KM already talked on his presser how they treated the bye like a week off last year and that they won’t do that this year. Believe me they understand they did it wrong last year and I expect they will come out of this one looking much better.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the people arguing against kicking it on 2nd down. Would you have felt differently if they were 10-15 yards closer and thus had a chip shot to win? Was it an issue with it being 2nd down only or that it was 2nd down and a 41 yard field goal?

For me personally, if it’s a chip shot than it doesn’t matter what down it is because it wins the game, but I suppose with it being a 41 yarder it would make more sense to at least get some more yards before kicking.

i wanted more yards and they still had a down to get it while being able to kick on 3rd as protection. Anything over 40 yards isn’t a chip shot. That’s why I was livid. I get laying up if you’ve got like a 30 yard FG. Not from 41.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It does to me. Kick it on 3rd, or keep running the ball until you score.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
i wanted more yards and they still had a down to get it while being able to kick on 3rd as protection. Anything over 40 yards isn’t a chip shot. That’s why I was livid. I get laying up if you’ve got like a 30 yard FG. Not from 41.
I was mad that we were running the ball with ease, the defense was visibly gassed, and we took our foot off the gas and told the QB to get to the left hash and lay down for a FG. Then the kicking team didn’t get out there quickly knowing this was the plan. That’s what ticked me off and that’s on KK

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://arizonasports.com/story/243...leading-to-missed-ot-kick-a-complete-debacle/

Kliff Kingsbury calls sequence leading to missed OT kick a ‘complete debacle’

On a night overflowing with plays that could be described as the biggest for a typical football game, it was a decision by Arizona Cardinals head coach Kliff Kingsbury that might rank as number one from a bizarre, wild 37-34 Cardinals win over the Seattle Seahawks.

“It was pretty bad,” Kingsbury said. “Pretty much a complete debacle.”

Tied at 34 in overtime on Sunday Night Football, Arizona got the ball back after stopping Seattle on the opening drive of extra time. A field goal would now win the game, and with 4:58 left on the Cardinals’ second play, running back Chase Edmonds broke a run for 32 yards that officially put Arizona in range to seal it on the Seahawks’ 33-yard line.

“I got conservative and went for the field goal,” he said. “We did not execute our play, get our quarterback blown up and then we (are) about to get a delay of game and have to take a timeout, kind of freeze our own kicker.

“So it was about as bad of a coaching job as possible by me.”

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But if u change your mindset just because the previously play didnt go well and u let that play affect your philosophy then in most cases doesn't pay off
Its not something I expect from kk

Mindset / Philosophy?

With the loss of yards on first down, it was a 41 yd attempt and well within "G" success rate.

The winning FG was at 49.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ok. I say I Agree with both sides. Once KK called the timeout and it was 2nd down. You send the offense back out there to clear the kicker. If he had missed the kick. Then probably send them out there knowing what to fix. But how many times have we seen a guy make it and then miss the next. So KK should have put the offense out there and run a screen or draw or a run up the middle to just get continuity back. He didn’t ice his kicker on purpose but by leaving him out there. He iced his kicker.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is easy. The net effect of that debacle was our kicker got iced. But KK didnt ice him. His decision to call the TO was necessary once all the other buffoonery had happened. He called it, Gonzo missed his second try, net effect; iced. Now stop arguing about it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson