NFL networks Peter Schraeger

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talk about being disingenuous. He harped repeatedly for about a whole minute on TV Good morning football about Kingsberry “icing his own kicker” which couldn’t be further from the truth.

The reality is he ran down the sideline and called the time out prior to the kick to save a delay of game penalty.... saving the team 5 yards not his fault Zane miss the next one from 44 not 49. Hindsight is it was the right call and a heads up TO call by the coach. But nobody in the country would know that by watching good morning football unless you watched the game. Not saying KK didn’t make mistakes but this wasn’t one of them.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Peter Schraeger is usually a Cards homer. This news surprises me a bit.

I think they were just pushing the narrative of how crazy the game was and felt that icing the kicker played into that more than a delay of game.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was major confusion when KK sent out the FG team on second down a the offense was still on the field. So the offense was slow getting off the field and that is when KK should have used his timeout to clear up the confusion at a critical point in the game.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Our team did ice our own kicker. Not sure how that is controversial. That is in coaches and players. Luckily, we won anyway.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
one thing that has been demonstrated: KK will ALWAYS take the heat for this players

while there is lots not to like about that entire sequence, this is about KK preserving his kickers confidence

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I blame kk not for the timeout but for kicking the field on second down when they were marching on the field pretty easily

And you were totally entitled to that opinion and most of us agree however has no bearing on the situation

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
no they didn’t lol wow
They didn’t? Obviously the team didn’t communicate quickly enough, didn’t set up quickly enough, and didn’t snap the ball in time forcing them to call time out as our kicker made the kick. Then after the timeout the kicker botched it. Obviously, it wasn’t intentional but that is the very definition of icing a kicker.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They didn’t? Obviously the team didn’t communicate quicklly enough, didn’t set up quickly enough, and didn’t snap the ball in time forcing them to call time out as our kicker made the kick. Then after the timeout the kicker botched it. Obviously, it wasn’t intentional but that is the very definition of icing a kicker.

no... The coach called for the field goal which is well within his rights the team didn’t get off quickly enough that’s on the players not the coach… They should listen to what they’re told and get off the field so I can be done properly whether you agree with it or not.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And you were totally entitled to that opinion and most of us agree however has no bearing on the situation
it's not the first time kk calls a timeout just when our kicker made a field goal, then his kicker fail it on the second attempt
He was just too worry about avoiding the delay of game penalty
However, Shrager in this case is stating something stupid

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lot's of Monday morning QBs which is fine everyone has their opinions. It was a very intense game with decisions being made instantly and there certainly were lots of hero's and goats. Was depressed after Gonzales missed the FG and I don't blame anyone but him. However, it was just so wonderful that he got another chance and made it. As a long time Cards fan (like many on the board), this doesn't happen very often. Damn, I'm just glad we won. I'm am just so happy that we are all talking about the win not a loss!!! :fans:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
no... The coach called for the field goal which is well within his rights the team didn’t get off quickly enough that’s on the players not the coach… They should listen to what they’re told and get off the field so I can be done properly whether you agree with it or not.
I'm not sure how what you are saying is much different than what I am saying.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
They didn’t? Obviously the team didn’t communicate quickly enough, didn’t set up quickly enough, and didn’t snap the ball in time forcing them to call time out as our kicker made the kick. Then after the timeout the kicker botched it. Obviously, it wasn’t intentional but that is the very definition of icing a kicker.
Guess we have different definitions about icing a kicker. To me, icing the kicker is INTENTIONALLY taking a TO to make him wait or throw off his rhythm, as in the defense calling a TO just prior to snap.

Calling a TO to avoid a penalty is not icing the kicker. I'm not a KK fan at all, but this wasn't on him.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No it wasn't. It appears you don't know what that is. It has to be intentional to ice the kicker. That's how the saying came to be.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KK’s brain meltingly stupid decision to kick on second down and his failure to have his team ready to kick the field goal before time ran out forced him to call timeout.

bottom line is his balls shriveling up in that moment forced him to call a TO and that iced the kicker. It’s not a question of did he “purposely” ice the kicker. The end result of botching that plan meant he did anyway.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
no they didn’t lol wow

Exactly. If he didn't call the time out the kick wouldn't have counted anyways. We would have been called for a delay of game and been pushed back another 5 yards. I also don't have a problem with the time out, I have the issue with him kicking on 2nd down and not trying to get a few more yards or even just score the TD. I know the kickers only job is to make kicks but I hate putting it in the kickers hands unless absolutely necessary.
Teams like Seattle never "settle" for the FG. They always go for the kill shot.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KK’s brain meltingly stupid decision to kick on second down and his failure to have his team ready to kick the field goal before time ran out forced him to call timeout.

bottom line is his balls shriveling up in that moment forced him to call a TO and that iced the kicker. It’s not a question of did he “purposely” ice the kicker. The end result of botching that plan meant he did anyway.

Stupid or not, it's always easier call it later, but I do agree when an offensive guru can't kick a field goal on second down with plenty time ahead
But to be honest I remember also Bruce Arians making the same call

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Felt like an icing to me.. even KK acknowledged it pretty bluntly in his presser. But whatevs...all's well that's ends well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose