NFL.com Cardinals Projected Starters

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love the CB trio!

I believe we can be solid at the cornerback position for the first time in a very long time.
I'd like them too. But I would really like to know what Kei'Trel did to get in the dog house. He shown flashes and mistakes out there, like every rookie. My guess it is/was attitude based.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'd like them too. But I would really like to know what Kei'Trel did to get in the dog house. He shown flashes and mistakes out there, like every rookie. My guess it is/was attitude based.
He played like crap and got buried pull out his stat line against Dallas and it really tells the tale of why he wasn't playing. He was an almost guaranteed catch every time he was in coverage. His receiver didn't catch the ball only 3 times after that game in all the times he was targeted.

My guess is that the staff saw a lot of bad technique and positioning in coverage. It's one think if a guy is playing proper techniques and giving up catches, but it's much worse when they can't even get the technique right. That means you just can't trust that they will get it right in any situation.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 or 3 mistakes I think.

Zay Jones will start
I don't think Wilkinson gets the starting job at LG
I doubt Garrett Williams gets the starting CB job - but it's possible.
Williams and Melton will be #1 and #2 by the end of the year and for a few years to come! Williams showed flashes while being eased back from ACL surgery. Pre-injury, he was a late first round pick in quite a few mocks last year, going as high as 15 in one.

Otherwise, I agree.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
2 or 3 mistakes I think.

Zay Jones will start
I don't think Wilkinson gets the starting job at LG
I doubt Garrett Williams gets the starting CB job - but it's possible.
I think the Jones/Dortch/Wilson dynamic for the 2nd and 3rd WR slot will be interesting to watch. IMO, you almost have it be Jones or Wilson as #2 with Dortch as #3, just to have different skill sets on the field.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Not sold on the effectiveness of that CB group.

Feels like our WR room from last year, with no true #1 CB, but maybe the defensive backfield will get propped up a little by the safety play (like McBride helped our receiving corps).

Hopeful though, particularly for Williams, and that SMB is at least one step above a JAG.

I get the Melton pick has gotten good reviews but he hasn't played a down in the NFL. Still hope he's our next Patrick Pet.... umm.. Aeneas Williams!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah definitely see edge and cb as our weakest position group. Edge is probably the weakest given the lack of proven players.
Neither group has a player that’s served with distinction really. Dennis Gardeck might be the player in both units with the most proven productions.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Not sold on the effectiveness of that CB group.

Feels like our WR room from last year, with no true #1 CB, but maybe the defensive backfield will get propped up a little by the safety play (like McBride helped our receiving corps).

Hopeful though, particularly for Williams, and that SMB is at least one step above a JAG.

I get the Melton pick has gotten good reviews but he hasn't played a down in the NFL. Still hope he's our next Patrick Pet.... umm.. Aeneas Williams!
I think the CB is filled with all kinds of exciting unknowns on some levels though. Max Melton just looks like a guy who will stick.

Garrett Williams was pretty darn good before he was hurt, and looked like at least a serviceable player.

I don't see how it's worse than last year, and Id argue there are better on roster potential than last seasons group.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I think the CB is filled with all kinds of exciting unknowns on some levels though. Max Melton just looks like a guy who will stick.

Garrett Williams was pretty darn good before he was hurt, and looked like at least a serviceable player.

I don't see how it's worse than last year, and Id argue there are better on roster potential than last seasons group.

That's all true enough Krang!

And what's different to me this year vs. the Vance Joseph days is that I think we'll see the best possible version of these guys on field.

I think on defense the whole will be greater than the sum of its parts, that is super duper exciting!

Hope you've been well and Happy Memorial Day to you and to everyone who has served our country!

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just read on Cards Wire that Brown was lining up as 1st team LG. So, I would say he's someone to watch, with the assumption that he wasn't brought in to back up at center, but rather to start at guard. I believe Dave Sears was at Detroit, when Brown was with the Lions.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That's all true enough Krang!

And what's different to me this year vs. the Vance Joseph days is that I think we'll see the best possible version of these guys on field.

I think on defense the whole will be greater than the sum of its parts, that is super duper exciting!

Hope you've been well and Happy Memorial Day to you and to everyone who has served our country!
The Cardinals have essentially reloaded at CB with guys that the image of what MO and JG want at corner. I'm pretty bullish on Max Melton; I think he's going to at least be a competent long term starter at CB.

SMB has already proven he's a solid #2 CB in the league.

Consider me a Garrett Wilson fan as well, and it sounds like the Cardinals aren't just looking at him in the nickel, they are looking at him at the boundary as well.

I think a CB trio of SMB, Garrett Williams, and Max Melton can be pretty good. What I loved is that the Cardinals hedged their bets a little with also drafting Jones and Davis. Jones was one of my favorite CBs to draft when I did my mock drafts because he was a extreme value in the later rounds, but the Cardinals did draft him about where he truly belonged at the end of day two.

So there is some talented but inexperienced depth. We aren't looking at a situation where a UDFA or lesser veteran is expected to be CB4. From experience, we've all seen that your CB4 often does play at least a little bit, and it's nice to see a 3rd round pick with good size, speed, athletic numbers and college production on the roster.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Just read on Cards Wire that Brown was lining up as 1st team LG. So, I would say he's someone to watch, with the assumption that he wasn't brought in to back up at center, but rather to start at guard. I believe Dave Sears was at Detroit, when Brown was with the Lions.
Most teams vary the roster a lot in this part of the season at OL. We should see a bunch of different OL set ups hopefully, not only to find out the best players, but what guys can play where when we need those injury replacements. IF you see Brown play there a LOT, then it's a good sign he has the inside shot at that position.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The Cardinals have essentially reloaded at CB with guys that the image of what MO and JG want at corner. I'm pretty bullish on Max Melton; I think he's going to at least be a competent long term starter at CB.

SMB has already proven he's a solid #2 CB in the league.

Consider me a Garrett Wilson fan as well, and it sounds like the Cardinals aren't just looking at him in the nickel, they are looking at him at the boundary as well.

I think a CB trio of SMB, Garrett Williams, and Max Melton can be pretty good. What I loved is that the Cardinals hedged their bets a little with also drafting Jones and Davis. Jones was one of my favorite CBs to draft when I did my mock drafts because he was a extreme value in the later rounds, but the Cardinals did draft him about where he truly belonged at the end of day two.

So there is some talented but inexperienced depth. We aren't looking at a situation where a UDFA or lesser veteran is expected to be CB4. From experience, we've all seen that your CB4 often does play at least a little bit, and it's nice to see a 3rd round pick with good size, speed, athletic numbers and college production on the roster.
When it comes to guys like Jones and Davis, not only do you need serviceable depth, but you also need long-term Special Teams aces, too.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Most teams vary the roster a lot in this part of the season at OL. We should see a bunch of different OL set ups hopefully, not only to find out the best players, but what guys can play where when we need those injury replacements. IF you see Brown play there a LOT, then it's a good sign he has the inside shot at that position.
Brown, to me, looked like a signing of a veteran the scouting staff knows can play better than the current roster guy. I'd wager he has the best chance to start at LG immediately. The good thing is that the Cardinals now have some depth on the IOL. Wilkerson if kept, has played a ton and has had some up and down stretches, but that's fairly common for NFL backup players. The same can be said about Colon last year.

And there are some young options as well with Adams and Gaines. Id rather those two be kept overall, because I'd rather the Cardinals develop a pipeline of interior OL backups who pay their dues and take the job from the starters through competition.

Monti has clearly made retooling the OL a priority and the team clearly wants to maul people on offense. My only quibble is that I still think more could be done for the front seven, but they seem to have a plan.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brown, to me, looked like a signing of a veteran the scouting staff knows can play better than the current roster guy. I'd wager he has the best chance to start at LG immediately. The good thing is that the Cardinals now have some depth on the IOL. Wilkerson if kept, has played a ton and has had some up and down stretches, but that's fairly common for NFL backup players. The same can be said about Colon last year.

And there are some young options as well with Adams and Gaines. Id rather those two be kept overall, because I'd rather the Cardinals develop a pipeline of interior OL backups who pay their dues and take the job from the starters through competition.

Monti has clearly made retooling the OL a priority and the team clearly wants to maul people on offense. My only quibble is that I still think more could be done for the front seven, but they seem to have a plan.

I agree regarding Brown. His contract is certainly a bit rich for a projected backup centre.

Evan Brown signed a 1 year , $2,350,000 contract with the Arizona Cardinals, including $650,000 signing bonus, $1,100,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $2,350,000. In 2024, Brown will earn a base salary of $1,445,000 and a signing bonus of $650,000, while carrying a cap hit of $2,320,000 and a dead cap value of $1,100,000.