New Owner - Mat Ishbia

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It looks worse and worse by the day. KD wanted Phoenix and the Nets had already traded Kyrie. Everyone knew Brooklyn was in an impossible spot with a disgruntled star for an irrelevant franchise. Before Sarver was out JJ wouldn’t give up that monster package the first time around but Ishbia needs to make a splash his first week on the job and traded everything. In a billionaire poker match I’ll take Joe Tsai over Mat Ishbia.

So shortsighted. It was clear that we didn't acquire KD to make a title run last year either since we turned over 12 of 15 the roster spots, all but Booker, Okogie, and Damien Lee, as well as the head coach. So why rush to add KD to a team for a 2 month run and a short playoff showing? You don't flip 80% of the roster if you're 1 player away.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So shortsighted. It was clear that we didn't acquire KD to make a title run last year either since we turned over 12 of 15 the roster spots, all but Booker, Okogie, and Damien Lee, as well as the head coach. So why rush to add KD to a team for a 2 month run and a short playoff showing? You don't flip 80% of the roster if you're 1 player away.

The roster turnover, starting with the KD trade, was Ishbia and Thomas forming this into "their team".

The Suns of the previous few years probably were one player away, but the math doesn't work when you rip up the team to get one guy, especially when he ain't 'the guy'.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The roster turnover, starting with the KD trade, was Ishbia and Thomas forming this into "their team".

The Suns of the previous few years probably were one player away, but the math doesn't work when you rip up the team to get one guy, especially when he ain't 'the guy'.
IDK. After we refused to play Jae Crowder, what little physical play we had went down the tubes. Also with CP3 getting slammed by Father Time seemingly on his birthday, Suns were soft with Ayton, Bridges, and Cam Johnson on the roster. We continue to be soft, especially when Nurkic is not on the floor or misses games, and he isn't really considered that high of a center. It goes to show in both instances, Crowder not playing or Nurkic on either past or current rosters, just how soft we do play. You could argue KD was not the move to make, but continuing with the roster we had was really fools gold, imho.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns with All-Star CP3 were one player away. The Suns with no CP3 and built around Booker/Bridges/Ayton wasn’t close to one player away.

That said, the KD trade has still been a disaster.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Suns with All-Star CP3 were one player away. The Suns with no CP3 and built around Booker/Bridges/Ayton wasn’t close to one player away.

Really? I remember a LOT of posts on here about how terrible CP3 was at the end, and how could ANY team trade for him? That we were stuck with his contract for another year. Also, the miracle of the Beal trade taking two losers, Shammet and CP3 off our hands. IDK, guys that leave the Suns generally get higher regarded later on. Except Ayton. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think we were one solid player away when CP3 was playing at a superstar level. We almost won it anyway that year thanks to league-wide health problems but you can't count on that level of luck. So yeah, by the time we traded for KD we weren't all that close to "one player away" since CP3 was clearly approaching his sell by date and Ayton proved his naysayers correct.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns future would look much brighter today, if they had traded some of their many assets, including expiring contracts, for a point guard and a center prior to the 2023 trade deadline through the 2024 trade deadline.

I think the Suns GM and ownership locked onto trading for Durant at any price without properly considering the myriad of other options.

Now the Suns are old and prone to injury with few assets.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? I remember a LOT of posts on here about how terrible CP3 was at the end, and how could ANY team trade for him? That we were stuck with his contract for another year. Also, the miracle of the Beal trade taking two losers, Shammet and CP3 off our hands. IDK, guys that leave the Suns generally get higher regarded later on. Except Ayton. :)
Jesus Yuma. I meant without All-Star level CP3, who didn't exist anymore. He was toast and that's why the Suns weren't 1 player away from contending.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we were one solid player away when CP3 was playing at a superstar level.
Agreed.
We almost won it anyway that year thanks to league-wide health problems but you can't count on that level of luck. So yeah, by the time we traded for KD we weren't all that close to "one player away" since CP3 was clearly approaching his sell by date and Ayton proved his naysayers correct.
This.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm 100% sure Ishbia pushed the trade through. He wanted to make a splash by getting one of the biggest names out there. He was finally the official new owner very close to the trade deadline. Sarver/JJ were holding out on the trade because as most of us will agree that too much had to be given up to acquire KD. I think Ishbia pulled the trigger since he's made of money and thought he could build a team without considering financials. Then the new CBA crushed his/our dreams.

Also Monty had to go after getting bounced the way we did two years in a row. He was decent with flaws but the team seemed to respond better to him. Did KD have something to do with it? Does KD have something to do with this years coach? Or are Monty and Vogel just simply not the right coaches for a combo of Book and KD?

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I'm 100% sure Ishbia pushed the trade through. He wanted to make a splash by getting one of the biggest names out there. He was finally the official new owner very close to the trade deadline. Sarver/JJ were holding out on the trade because as most of us will agree that too much had to be given up to acquire KD. I think Ishbia pulled the trigger since he's made of money and thought he could build a team without considering financials. Then the new CBA crushed his/our dreams.

Also Monty had to go after getting bounced the way we did two years in a row. He was decent with flaws but the team seemed to respond better to him. Did KD have something to do with it? Does KD have something to do with this years coach? Or are Monty and Vogel just simply not the right coaches for a combo of Book and KD?
I imagine that the Nets owner and GM were partying like it was 1999 after Ishbia gave them everything they wanted.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The coach thing I think was because of the lack of good coaches when we were looking. For whatever reason, EJ said the Suns were not interested in Nick Nurse at all. He didn't elaborate why. They didn't mesh with Mike Budenholzer. Everything I read is Vogel is like the NBA equivalent of Ted Lasso. Laker friends tell me he is super nice and never says anything bad about any player. They told me his press conferences are normally super vanilla. Maybe that sold the Suns?

Superbone

Reaction score
The coach thing I think was because of the lack of good coaches when we were looking. For whatever reason, EJ said the Suns were not interested in Nick Nurse at all. He didn't elaborate why. They didn't mesh with Mike Budenholzer. Everything I read is Vogel is like the NBA equivalent of Ted Lasso. Laker friends tell me he is super nice and never says anything bad about any player. They told me his press conferences are normally super vanilla. Maybe that sold the Suns?
I think it's time for Led Tasso!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone at the top felt the suns couldn't win with Booker as the #1 guy and traded everything for someone who could possibly be that guy in KD.

Then they hired the wrong coach.
I think they are right. You have to have another player at or above his level or we are never going to sniff a title again. The league is going to force parody through the new apron rules. There is only going to be few teams that continue to push the 2nd apron but even then the rules are going to hamper your team. If you are going to play the 2nd apron game going forward you better NAIL your #1 and #2 player or you are toast.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Things are blowing up today. Ishbia might be in big trouble.

I don’t see how this is even an anything? Bc he used a bunch of f-bombs? Everyone already knows he and Gilbert are bitter rivals. He doesn’t say anything shocking. The worst thing he says is he hates his rival. This is the type of competitor I want owning my team. I want him to say this about overcoming anyone who stands in the suns way.

Superbone

Reaction score
I don’t see how this is even an anything? Bc he used a bunch of f-bombs? Everyone already knows he and Gilbert are bitter rivals. He doesn’t say anything shocking. The worst thing he says is he hates his rival. This is the type of competitor I want owning my team. I want him to say this about overcoming anyone who stands in the suns way.
Yep, don’t get it at all. He’s ultra competitive. End of story. He could use some work on his expletive repertoire though. Mix it up a little more.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Only thing I'm there that could potentially be tough is the "c" bomb - the "f" bombs and saying he hates their competitors and wants to keep pushing to bury them? No real issue.

Using a particular oral servicing to denigrate someone is a little out of fashion, but wouldn't read too much into the verbiage

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Only thing I'm there that could potentially be tough is the "c" bomb - the "f" bombs and saying he hates their competitors and wants to keep pushing to bury them? No real issue.

Using a particular oral servicing to denigrate someone is a little out of fashion, but wouldn't read too much into the verbiage
I think more than anything it’s just a good reminder not to leave a voicemail, even to someone you trust, that you wouldn’t want reaching the greater public ear.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yeah, like F Cuban! I hate the eff$ing Mavericks!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think more than anything it’s just a good reminder not to leave a voicemail, even to someone you trust, that you wouldn’t want reaching the greater public ear.
I get the smartness of what you are saying, but I leave a message for a friend, he better not pass it along. :(

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Not all friends remain friends forever. And not all friends are 100% behind your back. And some friends are loyal but stupid. You put it out there - anywhere - be prepared to own it.
That's how I roll. On the other hand, you text, or leave me a message that would possibly be embarrassing for you down the road, I will forget all about it. I don't expect loyalty from others, but I extend it anyway.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn