New Owner - Mat Ishbia

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I received my free antenna in the mail today. To bad the DBacks can't put their games over the air.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Just wait.
That's pretty negative of you.

Is the prevailing thought on this board that Ishbia is going to hurt the franchise in the future? I know at least one or two people on here already think that, but I thought it was a pretty small minority.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Is the prevailing thought on this board that Ishbia is going to hurt the franchise in the future? I know at least one or two people on here already think that, but I thought it was a pretty small minority.

Pretty sure he is simply saying that something will come up to bitch about. I expect every fan base in the league can find something to bitch about.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

People go from praise to scorn pretty fast on this board. I Love all the moves so far:

Onboard with bringing KD
Onboard with Beal
Free Suns TV, hell yeah
Working to make Suns and Mercury top sports franchises
OPening overseas relationships to boost Suns image
Getting a new g league team for Suns
bringing in Vogel
Being aggressive with the new CBA

I am sure I am forgetting something(s)

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is this new news only to me?

100M+ practice facility closer to the arena?

I just head about it today. It'll be the HQ for the Suns and Mercury and the Mercury practice facility, the Suns will still be practicing at the 5G center.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's an article about it. Seems @SunsTzu was correct, practice facilities for the Mercury and office buildings for the Suns and Mercury staff. Seems cool. All on Ishbia's dime. Dude is paying twice what Sarver asked for from the city.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here's an article about it. Seems @SunsTzu was correct, practice facilities for the Mercury and office buildings for the Suns and Mercury staff. Seems cool. All on Ishbia's dime. Dude is paying twice what Sarver asked for from the city.

New facility will offer free food to the office workers according to the article, Cardinals players must be jealous.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My ticket renewal for 2024/25 just arrived and I am stunned.

Given the increase in payroll/tax of the roster and the (huge) increase in vendor prices around the arena, I was expecting a substantial jump on my season ticket package.

It actually dropped.

By only a few cents per game, but I was expecting, minimum, a 15-25% increase, a 40-50% wouldn't have shocked me (and would have entirely ruled out a renewal).

To be honest, I was leaning against renewal regardless. The games have not been as fun and I tend to make food and alcohol decisions that my early 40s body doesn't appreciate... but at that price point, I think they've sucked me back in.

Side point (and this has nothing to do with Ishbia, it was a Sarver Suns policy too... and probably a league wide one) I've got until March 4th to make up my mind, BUT if I don't renew I am not able to buy the allocation of playoff tickets for this year. IMO, that is some BS. Season tickets should come with the right of refusal for that season's playoff package. It's just a way to leverage fans into a renewal, even if they know the next season might be a rebuilding year.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My ticket renewal for 2024/25 just arrived and I am stunned.

Given the increase in payroll/tax of the roster and the (huge) increase in vendor prices around the arena, I was expecting a substantial jump on my season ticket package.

It actually dropped.

By only a few cents per game, but I was expecting, minimum, a 15-25% increase, a 40-50% wouldn't have shocked me (and would have entirely ruled out a renewal).

To be honest, I was leaning against renewal regardless. The games have not been as fun and I tend to make food and alcohol decisions that my early 40s body doesn't appreciate... but at that price point, I think they've sucked me back in.

Side point (and this has nothing to do with Ishbia, it was a Sarver Suns policy too... and probably a league wide one) I've got until March 4th to make up my mind, BUT if I don't renew I am not able to buy the allocation of playoff tickets for this year. IMO, that is some BS. Season tickets should come with the right of refusal for that season's playoff package. It's just a way to leverage fans into a renewal, even if they know the next season might be a rebuilding year.
I know this isn't a Mercury thread, but building the MERC their own practice facilities, and now making waves with a former Finals MVP to add to the line up, he's not ignoring the Mercury either. This will be a free agent destination for good talent in that franchise, too.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
okay so here's the thing and I don't know if it's the same for anyone else but we abandoned cable and we're all about the stream but with the suns being on channel 3 we just leave the tv on channel 3 - we're even watching the local morning news again now

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay so here's the thing and I don't know if it's the same for anyone else but we abandoned cable and we're all about the stream but with the suns being on channel 3 we just leave the tv on channel 3 - we're even watching the local morning news again now

I have DirecTV satellite and I get all my Suns feed off local channel 3 except when it goes national. It sounds similar if you are getting local channel 3 off a stream.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I've watched the nightly news on Channel 3 more than I have in years. Ive been without cable a few years now but rarely watched broadcast TV outside of the NFL on Sunday. By the time those games are over I've got a streaming service running for background noise.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've watched the nightly news on Channel 3 more than I have in years. Ive been without cable a few years now but rarely watched broadcast TV outside of the NFL on Sunday. By the time those games are over I've got a streaming service running for background noise.
The only thing I have noticed is keeping it on AZFamily a bit more after the game. Typically that's only because we got distracted and have not changed the channel. So, we are watching it a bit more but not because we really want to.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
People go from praise to scorn pretty fast on this board. I Love all the moves so far:

Onboard with bringing KD
Onboard with Beal
Free Suns TV, hell yeah
Working to make Suns and Mercury top sports franchises
OPening overseas relationships to boost Suns image
Getting a new g league team for Suns
bringing in Vogel
Being aggressive with the new CBA

I am sure I am forgetting something(s)
Only negative is that he hasn’t bought the Cardinals or Dbacks yet

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The League Pass situation has improved considerably -- not only with the quality of the broadcast (MUCH better than Bally's), but also the NBA has upgraded their choices when watching a game. You can watch either team's local feeds along with the in-arena stuff, but now they allow you to choose either team's local alone with their in-studio programming -- so I can see a little bit of the pregame and halftime shows along with the after-game interview (if there is one). Much more immersive experience now. Blackouts still are a concern, but only if we play the Spurs.