New CBA

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Looks like this is going to pass, maybe as soon as during the Combine at some point. 17 game schedule, with 3 preseason games & an additional wild card team per conference. Only the top seed in each conference will now get a first round bye. Players shares from revenue will increase from 47.5% to 48.5% if I read it right? I'm hoping the right pieces are added through FA & the draft to compete for that 3rd wild card spot at the very least.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
An extra wild card will make it much more possible to get into the playoffs with an 8-8 to 10-6 record. In the past you typically had to win a poor division to get in with under 10 wins, but it might start to become more normal for those teams to make it without the division win.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Looks like this is going to pass, maybe as soon as during the Combine at some point. 17 game schedule, with 3 preseason games & an additional wild card team per conference. Only the top seed in each conference will now get a first round bye. Players shares from revenue will increase from 47.5% to 48.5% if I read it right? I'm hoping the right pieces are added through FA & the draft to compete for that 3rd wild card spot at the very least.
Well will this new 17 game schedule take effect? I'm assuming the 2021 season?

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
How are they going to balance a 17 game schedule? Seems very difficult if the cards get beat out by a team by 1 game and that team had 1 more home game I could see that as an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How are they going to balance a 17 game schedule? Seems very difficult if the cards get beat out by a team by 1 game and that team had 1 more home game I could see that as an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The way I read it is like this. The first yr of the 17 games they will pick a conference, all the team's in that conference will have 9 home games, the other conference will all have 8 home games. The next season the conference that played 8 home games the yr before will all have 9 & the other will have 8.
Example:

2020: each AFC team plays 9 home games
Each NFC team plays 8.

2021: each NFC team plays 9 home games
Each AFC team plays 8.

It keeps rotating back & forth every yr.

Not 100% sure the 17 game schedule will start in 2020 or 2021.

The additional wild card team does take effect in 2020, that I am 100% sure on.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The way I read it is like this. The first yr of the 17 games they will pick a conference, all the team's in that conference will have 9 home games, the other conference will all have 8 home games. The next season the conference that played 8 home games the yr before will all have 9 & the other will have 8.
Example:

2020: each AFC team plays 9 home games
Each NFC team plays 8.

2021: each NFC team plays 9 home games
Each AFC team plays 8.

It keeps rotating back & forth every yr.

Not 100% sure the 17 game schedule will start in 2020 or 2021.

The additional wild card team does take effect in 2020, that I am 100% sure on.

This is why it dont work. Make it 18 or nothing. Too much fannying around.

Aren't you automatically giving an advantage to all the teams with 9 home games? Every year the teams in divisions that have 9 home games will be statistically more likely to make the playoffs.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There was also talk of the 17 th game being played at a neutral site. Say hello to more Mexico, London and god only knows where games.

Oh yeah that would make more sense and actually fits with the NFL long term plan. Every team would have an international game. London, Berlin, Mexico, Toronto, etc etc

That would make more sense. The 9/8 thing would never work.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was also talk of the 17 th game being played at a neutral site. Say hello to more Mexico, London and god only knows where games.
I hope this is the plan actually. Fans and teams no longer lose home games and no teams get a 9th home game advantage.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
  1. 8-8-1 is still .500
  2. 16 games on neutral play ground seems doable and probably the best way to go for the NFL, but most likely only half of them outside of the USA -(7-9 around the globe) London 3 games, Berlin 1, Munich 1, Vienna 1, maybe Innsbruck (they have basically the best European team and a big Football fanbase and easy reachable for Swiss & Italian fans) 1, Mexico 1, Toronto 1, Hawaii 1, Canton 1 (make the first game of the season start there, that would be a really nice thing), San Diego 1, Briminigham 1, St. Louis 1, and you have another 20 states that don't have a NFL team that could want a game every year or two.
  3. 3 pre-season games sounds good, that 4th game was so pointless and game 3 already got boring in the second half. So now game 3 is more or less first half last test so semi interesting and second half will be battle for the final 53+PS spots with many guys giving it all. Sounds already much better
  4. Finally a 3rd wildcard spot, how many teams got hot and then didn't make it to the playoffs (Cards were once there). That sounds good.

Overall good for the players, the fans and the NFL in general, so could we get now clearer catch rules and better officiating XD.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of one less preseason game. Also the additional wild card games.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren't you automatically giving an advantage to all the teams with 9 home games? Every year the teams in divisions that have 9 home games will be statistically more likely to make the playoffs.
Not if every team in each conference has the same number of home games.

But i've read that the extra games will all be at neutral sites, so this would be a moot issue.

More interesting to me is what the new formula would be to determine the additional opponent. Obviously they won't want division rivals to play an unbalanced number of games or home games against one another. If they do go with a scheme where each team in one conference gets an extra home game, then the only reasonable way to schedule the extra games would be to make all of them inter-conference games.

Currently teams play their division opponents home-and-home, which surely won't change (6 games). Then they play every team in one division in the same conference (4 games), every team in one division in the other conference (4 games), then the teams that finished in the same rank in the other two divisions in the same conference (2 games).

I could see adding one more game vs. a team that finished in the same rank in one of the other divisions in the other conference? Or maybe they'll get creative, at the expense of objective fairness, and add a subjectively-selected "rivalry" game of interest?

...dave

Edit: Oops, a couple of the above points were already touched on by others, above! Good stuff.

Last edited:

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
agreed. no more 500 seasons.
... Unless there's a tie! Leave it to the Cardinals to go 8-8-1. :D

Oh who am i kidding... they'll split the difference between their "traditional" records of 5-11 and 6-10, and from now on the "traditional" Cardinals record will be 6-11! :bang:

...dave

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
  1. Finally a 3rd wildcard spot, how many teams got hot and then didn't make it to the playoffs (Cards were once there). That sounds good.
The 2013 Cardinals, 10-6 and finishing the regular season on a 7-2 streak, would've made the playoffs and faced the Carolina Panthers, whom they had beaten 22-6 earlier in the season!

Had the Cardinals won that game, they would've faced the Seahawks, whom they had just beaten in Seattle in week 16, 17-10.

Had they won that one, they would've faced the winner of a 49ers vs. Saints playoff. The Cardinals got blown out at the Saints and swept by the 49ers earlier that season. But had they somehow won that NFC Championship game, they would've faced the weakling Broncos, who were in fact blown out by the Seahawks in the Super Bowl that year.

Could've been a fun ride!

...dave

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose