NBA Trade Deadline Thread 2021

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 first for a guy who’s a career 13 and 6??

yeah no thanks

Sure he's basically just a fairly average player but at least he only makes about 18 million a year and can be counted on to play in 80% of his team's games. Seriously though, he is a two way player and if you're only losing two late firsts, the price probably makes sense for most contending teams.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure he's basically just a fairly average player but at least he only makes about 18 million a year and can be counted on to play in 80% of his team's games. Seriously though, he is a two way player and if you're only losing two late firsts, the price probably makes sense for most contending teams.

It kind of makes sense for a team like Boston, as they have a trade exception they can use.

For the Suns it's impossible - we don't have any salaries that work.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It kind of makes sense for a team like Boston, as they have a trade exception they can use.

For the Suns it's impossible - we don't have any salaries that work.

Yeah I just don't see us as a participant in this trading period unless someone comes shopping for Jevon or someone like that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always liked Lauri Markkanen.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, if for anything Ayton has been able to actually play in games...well at least show up in games he decides to.

He's been frustrating (at times) in every game but our record would be a lot worse without him.

When he stays home and defends the lane our guards and wings turn into super defenders. When he chases on the perimeter, or just stands around out there, our guards and our other interior defenders get exposed. We could probably attribute a half dozen losses to him for not playing with full effort but he's still a big reason we have the 3rd best winning percentage in the league.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's been frustrating (at times) in every game but our record would be a lot worse without him.

When he stays home and defends the lane our guards and wings turn into super defenders. When he chases on the perimeter, or just stands around out there, our guards and our other interior defenders get exposed. We could probably attribute a half dozen losses to him for not playing with full effort but he's still a big reason we have the 3rd best winning percentage in the league.

you want to attribute 6 losses to Ayton? That’s ridiculous. What about when Booker was trash to start the year or when Monty couldn’t make adjustments to save his life. I guess it’s Aytons fault when we go cold from 3 and just keep chucking them instead of adjusting

To say any one player is responsible for half of our losses is ridiculous.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Again, agree his numbers are solid, just not #1 overall pick KAT numbers which I think cascades down to he isn't aggressive or dominating.

Correct, its easy to justify his deficiencies because we are winning but if we were on DET level then everyone would be more up in arms against him.

I think the success PHX has had this season was impacted by Paul's arrival though. I honestly was against the Paul trade but I am eating crow. He seems to have influenced guys like Bridges to step up their game and everyone is on same page. If we could have gotten Christian Wood this offseason in addition to Paul & Crowder we'd arguably be the second best team in West. Right now even with our record, I don't think we beat either UTA or DEN in a playoff series.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you want to attribute 6 losses to Ayton? That’s ridiculous. What about when Booker was trash to start the year or when Monty couldn’t make adjustments to save his life. I guess it’s Aytons fault when we go cold from 3 and just keep chucking them instead of adjusting

To say any one player is responsible for half of our losses is ridiculous.

First off, "we could probably attribute" does not mean he is solely to blame. But I do believe he could have turned at least 6 losses into wins had he played as hard in them as he has in some of our games. Keep in mind that we've had plenty of close losses so there are likely multiple "fixes" in each of those losses.

Booker played horribly the first few weeks of the season and contributed to several losses, Paul contributed to some too, our shooters putting up bricks has also hurt us but none of that happened because they were giving less than full effort. Every player has ups and downs, including Ayton. But DA's ups and downs don't concern me - his apparent lack of focus and effort at times does.

Last edited:

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Give me Domantas Sabonis for Ayton yesterday! If the Pacers are making Sabonis available the Suns should push for that trade. Gets to the FT line which the Suns need, passes great out of the post, very agile big man, difficult to guard, intelligent.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns do anything, it's likely to be a minor move.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Give me Domantas Sabonis for Ayton yesterday! If the Pacers are making Sabonis available the Suns should push for that trade. Gets to the FT line which the Suns need, passes great out of the post, very agile big man, difficult to guard, intelligent.

Well, the problem is Sabonis is not really a center, and we would need to get one for the playoffs.

I might make that deal if it was actually possible, but I doubt it really is.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Remember is McD years, crickets and a lot of yawns during the trade deadlines or filling the final roster spots.

Jones has been making moves, solid moves as far as fit and function. Although we are still missing a forward/center i understand as we cant fill all the positions of a contender in one season.

BUT difficult choices will come next year and we will see what we want to spend to live with those choices.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember is McD years, crickets and a lot of yawns during the trade deadlines or filling the final roster spots.

Jones has been making moves, solid moves as far as fit and function. Although we are still missing a forward/center i understand as we cant fill all the positions of a contender in one season.

BUT difficult choices will come next year and we will see what we want to spend to live with those choices.

Suns are so close. I really believe a backup FC away. Someone to to give Saric and Ayton some rest.

I believe the acquisition of Torrey Craig left them with only one piece to fill.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns are so close. I really believe a backup FC away. Someone to to give Saric and Ayton some rest.

I believe the acquisition of Torrey Craig left them with only one piece to fill.

I feel like I'm on a seesaw when this idea comes up. Yes, when Atyon plays like he did in Miami, we are really close to being a championship contender. But when he plays like he did in our recent loss to Minnesota, I think we look more like playoff fodder for the real contenders.