NBA Trade Deadline news and rumors 2019-20 season

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why couldn't they have played Capela and Ayton together?

Because neither has a good enough perimeter game.

I am not someone who is opposed to a throwback center at all, If they can shoot between 55-60 percent they are still better than most 3 point shooters - but you can't have two of them in the same lineup, their is just not enough space for that to be effective.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there is anything to the Suns trading for Luke Kennard the delay could be for medical checkups or they are looking to expand the trade with other teams.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If there is anything to the Suns trading for Luke Kennard the delay could be for medical checkups or they are looking to expand the trade with other teams.

It is possible we have offered our first in another trade as well, and the leaking of this trade was an effort to get the other team to realize the suns have other options.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is possible we have offered our first in another trade as well, and the leaking of this trade was an effort to get the other team to realize the suns have other options.

Anything is possible. The more I think about it, the more different ideas float through my head.

My guess at the moment, the Suns are working to expand the trade or they are trying to do two separate trades.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Anything is possible. The more I think about it, the more different ideas float through my head.

My guess at the moment, the Suns are working to expand the trade or they are trying to do two separate trades.
I think there is a lot of posturing on both side in trying to negotiate the protection on the first round pick as well.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think there is a lot of posturing on both side in trying to negotiate the protection on the first round pick as well.

I think that is the most likely scenario, and if the Suns agree to anything less than Top 20 protected, management is nuts.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Or maybe Kennard's medical checkup didn't come out as expected.

As @Proximo suggested, the Suns may have other options.

So many things can delay or stop a trade.

JerkFace

Reaction score
I think that is the most likely scenario, and if the Suns agree to anything less than Top 20 protected, management is nuts.
I doubt it will be top 20 since there is virtually no chance it would convey for a few years. We will be lucky if we can get it lottery protected. Most likely it will be top 10.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

The medical risks are pretty darn obvious. Frankly they should have been enough of a red flag to deter the Suns' interest no matter what the cost.

Then again, management has already ignored medical red flags recently with respect to Davon Reed and Cam Johnson.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I doubt it will be top 20 since there is virtually no chance it would convey for a few years. We will be lucky if we can get it lottery protected. Most likely it will be top 10.

Then management is nuts, and we will be stuck without a power forward for a second consecutive full season.

JerkFace

Reaction score

I’m surprised it leaked with very specific names going both ways. It is rare to see Woj put something out that specific and not have it go through within a few hours. Woj is usually pretty good at not letting himself be a pawn for teams. It gives credence to your thoughts that there were medical issues that halted it

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rockets got raped.

Capella, Green, Nene and a 1st for Covington? Capella and Green are both better than him - but Green is out for the season.

Even so it's not like this trade is going to give them a real chance in the playoffs.

I have no idea what they are doing.

I've always liked Covington, rep as a good defender and can make 3's although only 34% this year. he was one of the guys the Warriors were rumored to be looking at for D LO(with pick or picks).

I think Malik Beasley might be the guy in that deal that in a couple of years people think many they should have kept him, he should play more in Minnesota, this year is a step back year after a nice 3rd year last season. He can fill it up, he's still only 23, worth a shot. he might be like what the Warriors got by getting Alec Burks, 5 years younger, not as good right now but has a chance to be that good IMO.

I assume Houston wanted Covington for 3 and D since they're playing small ball but will be interesting to see.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Then management is nuts, and we will be stuck without a power forward for a second consecutive full season.
There are no power forwards in next years draft that will be taken outside the lottery that should be starting for any team at the start of next year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m surprised it leaked with very specific names going both ways. It is rare to see Woj put something out that specific and not have it go through within a few hours. Woj is usually pretty good at not letting himself be a pawn for teams. It gives credence to your thoughts that there were medical issues that halted it

Another thought. Maybe other teams have learned the Suns are shopping a first round pick and are giving the Suns more options to consider.

I hope this is the case.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There are no power forwards in next years draft that will be taken outside the lottery that should be starting for any team at the start of next year.

But there WILL be power forwards available in the 11-15 range who are already far superior to what the Suns have now and to any free agent who will be available.

In that context, Top 10 protection in a draft where we are likely to be picking 11-15 is sheer lunacy.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luke Kennard putting up shots.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Luke Kennard putting up shots.

Another slow, deliberate shooting motion that will have to be rushed to get shots up unless he is wide open.

At least it's not as bad as Cam Johnson's shooting motion, where he (Cam) recoils the ball below his waist.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luke Kennard is still in limbo.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Another slow, deliberate shooting motion that will have to be rushed to get shots up unless he is wide open.

At least it's not as bad as Cam Johnson's shooting motion, where he (Cam) recoils the ball below his waist.
This post proves to me that you have never actually watched Kennard play. I kind of figured as much though.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Top 20?

They would be fools to do that - There is no way in hell it would convey this year - and this year is the year you want it to convey.

If there is going to be protection it is only going to be top 3 or top 5. Personally I seriously doubt there will be any protection.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Top 20?

They would be fools to do that - There is no way in hell it would convey this year - and this year is the year you want it to convey.

If there is going to be protection it is only going to be top 3 or top 5. Personally I seriously doubt there will be any protection.

So you're good with a second consecutive season without an NBA caliber power forward, and instead getting yet another one dimensional shooter with health issues who can't defend?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand a big hold up in the Wolves-Warriors trade is that they wanted an unprotected 2021 first round pick for D'Angelo Russell.

Anyone do this trade for Suns and expiring contracts for Russell?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I understand a big hold up in the Wolves-Warriors trade is that they wanted an unprotected 2021 first round pick for D'Angelo Russell.

Anyone do this trade for Suns and expiring contracts for Russell?

Only if we can flip Rubio for a power forward.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. I don't want Russell for free.

I'd think about it.

If the Suns are still losing when the 2021 draft comes along they are in bigger trouble than a draft pick.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose