NBA Free Agency and Trades 2022

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Danny Ainge certainly has built an MO of blowing it up quick if he doesn't see a clear path to contention. Snyder obviously saw the writing on the wall.

It also didn't help that Gobert and Mitchell couldn't stand each other.
Yeah I think knowing they had to part ways with one or the other that they might as well blow it up because one star wasn't going to take them anywhere. And they get rid of the last 4 years of two huge contracts, between them they had just over 300M remaining.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I think knowing they had to part ways with one or the other that they might as well blow it up because one star wasn't going to take them anywhere. And they get rid of the last 4 years of two huge contracts, between them they had just over 300M remaining.

I cannot really remember a time when the Jazz were not at least somewhat competitive, they're like the Suns were prior to 2015. It is going to be weird to see them in the gutter.

Luckily they changed their entire aesthetic to one that belongs in the gutter, that should help with the adjustment.

Seriously, their new uniforms are revolting. They look like something a middle school team from the bad part of town would wear.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Jazz also underwent a change in ownership and it seems the new owners signed off on tearing it all down. I'm surprised they didn't try and see what they had in Gobert or Mitchell on their own but I believe getting such a huge haul for Gobert helped make their decision to go all out easier. They'll be sitting pretty after moving Mitchell.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Jazz have a long history of being a good and stable organization. It's hard to imagine them being bad for long.

Danny Ainge will get them rebuilt. If they trade Mitchell they will have a ton of assets to do so.

I'd like to acquire Jarred Vanderbilt but he is still young at 23. They might decide to keep him.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A Jazz reporter on Utah radio is reporting that Mitchell to Miami is a done deal, will be announced soon. If true the Suns are the only realistic suitor for Durant remaining.

That’s an interesting team. I’m assuming it’s Lowry and a ton of picks

Mitchel, Butler and Bam is a good combination

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Jazz have a long history of being a good and stable organization. It's hard to imagine them being bad for long.

Danny Ainge will get them rebuilt. If they trade Mitchell they will have a ton of assets to do so.

I'd like to acquire Jarred Vanderbilt but he is still young at 23. They might decide to keep him.

They already added 5 extra picks this off-season with the Royce O'Neal and Gobert trades.

The league is going to end up lopsided with only 4-5 teams controlling the entire draft. It's going to be weird to see play out.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s an interesting team. I’m assuming it’s Lowry and a ton of picks

Mitchel, Butler and Bam is a good combination

Apparently Herro and Duncan Robinson will be the salaried players involved from Miami. If they included someone like Yurtseven also that works in terms of salary.

Strus works also but I'd be surprised if they included him with Herro and Robinson. They'd be losing a lot of talent. Who knows. .

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Apparently Herro and Duncan Robinson will be the salaried players involved from Miami. If they included someone like Yurtseven also that works in terms of salary.

Strus works also but I'd be surprised if they included him with Herro and Robinson. They'd be losing a lot of talent. Who knows. .

I don't know, maybe I'm in the minority but I think Herro is not far off from Mitchell.

It will improve Miami a little bit perhaps, if Mitchell plays Defense.

If they give up a bunch of firsts in the deal as well I think Utah is probably getting the better end of it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know, maybe I'm in the minority but I think Herro is not far off from Mitchell.

If they give up a bunch of firsts in the deal as well I think Utah is probably getting the better end of it.

I agree with you. I'd rather have Herro. He's due for an extension though and I imagine Miami doesn't want to pay him big money so they'll gamble on Mitchell, who could pay off more.

It's all about the picks involved though. If Miami parts with more than 1 first then I think Utah wins the deal easily. At just 1 though it's a push, both sides get what they're after.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Howard worth a look?

Dwight? I'd say no. He's not someone I'd want around Ayton as he develops. He's immature and he's also very one dimensional at this point. He can score when spoonfed but his defense isn't close to what it was.

If his attitude wasn't questionable then maybe but I think the team is stocked at Center. They have Anton and Bismack plus Jock as a 3rd stringer with Dario as a potential backup as well.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think Mitchell just stopped getting better. Three years ago when him and Jamal Murray were going off trading 50 point games in the playoffs I thought by this time he would be a star but he just stopped.

He’s gotten comfortable in Utah and his thing with Gobert is strange. A change of scenery will do him good

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who in their right mind trades for Westbrook?

The Pacers are rebuilding so two first round picks would be attractive and Westbrook is an expiring contract. They might be able to buy him out later in the season and save a few dollars.

Also they get rid of the second year of Hield's contract.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Pacers are rebuilding so two first round picks would be attractive and Westbrook is an expiring contract. They might be able to buy him out later in the season and save a few dollars.

Also they get rid of the second year of Hield's contract.

I think they'd buy him out or cut him as soon as they got him. I certainly don't see him actually playing for them.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope the Pacers keep playing hardball with the Lakers. Asking for two first round picks seems fair if they trade Hield and Turner for Westbrook.

Can the Lakers seriously make that deal?

That is way too good of a deal for Westbrook. Although Laker 1sts will be pretty good I think

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they'd buy him out or cut him as soon as they got him. I certainly don't see him actually playing for them.

Agree. I don't see Westbrook playing for the Pacers but I can see them trying to buy him out.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can the Lakers seriously make that deal?

That is way too good of a deal for Westbrook. Although Laker 1sts will be pretty good I think

The trade works although the Pacers would be absorbing $7 million unless it's tweaked.

If the Lakers have the first round picks they can do it but I agree, it benefits LA. It's not a bad trade for the Pacers.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree. I don't see Westbrook playing for the Pacers but I can see them trying to buy him out.
Yeah, if Westbrook gets moved in a trade I think it's a virtual certainty that whoever gets him immediately dumps him and then he signs on with some team that has been in the toilet long enough that they're desperate for a way out and take a 1 year gamble. Orlando, Detroit, maybe the Knicks if they don't get Mitchell.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if Westbrook gets moved in a trade I think it's a virtual certainty that whoever gets him immediately dumps him and then he signs on with some team that has been in the toilet long enough that they're desperate for a way out and take a 1 year gamble. Orlando, Detroit, maybe the Knicks if they don't get Mitchell.

I don't even think the Knicks would do this. The Pacers might be the Lakers best option.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't even think the Knicks would do this. The Pacers might be the Lakers best option.

Nah, I'm not saying those teams trade for him, I'm saying those teams might sign him if he gets bought out.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah, I'm not saying those teams trade for him, I'm saying those teams might sign him if he gets bought out.

I hope the Pacers hold firm. That's too good a deal for the Lakers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope the Pacers hold firm. That's too good a deal for the Lakers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yeah, that offer is garbage. I doubt Indiana bites, they can almost certainly get more moving those players separately, especially Hield.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose