NBA Free Agency and Trades 2022

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns have only one regular roster spot available. They could decide to leave it open for buyouts later in the season.

I'd like for the Suns to minimally add a point guard on a two way contract. Also I like center Olivier Sarr.

Of course the Suns really like Ish Wainright as we saw last season.

Maybe the Suns do a trade once the Durant situation is clarified.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I didn't like it either but the Suns didn't seem that interested in Rivers other than as trade filler. Kelly Oubre was the primary piece.

And after Trevor Ariza, I'm sure they didn't want any player that didn't want to be here.

Trevor Ariza robbed us.. but at least it got us Oubre who I thought was the guy that got the culture change going.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trevor Ariza robbed us.. but at least it got us Oubre who I thought was the guy that got the culture change going.
I don't know if it was really a culture change but he changed the chemistry and made the team a lot more fun to watch while he was here.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns momentum seemed to swing forward when Kelly Oubre arrived but Monty Williams and James Jones was a big part of this as well. It was refreshing to have a player that wanted to be here.

Of course he was part of the trade for Chris Paul.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns received a B+ in free agency by CBS Sports.

Grades are given for the other 29 teams as well.

By Colin Ward-Henniger:

Who's in:

• Devin Booker (contract extension)
  • Deandre Ayton (re-signed)
  • Bismack Biyombo (re-signed)
  • Damion Lee (free agent)
  • Josh Okogie (free agent)
  • Jock Landale (traded from Hawks)
Who's out:

• JaVale McGee (signed with Mavericks)
  • Aaron Holiday (signed with Hawks)
  • Frank Kaminsky (signed with Hawks)

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns received a B+ in free agency by CBS Sports.

Grades are given for the other 29 teams as well.

By Colin Ward-Henniger:

Who's in:

• Devin Booker (contract extension)
  • Deandre Ayton (re-signed)
  • Bismack Biyombo (re-signed)
  • Damion Lee (free agent)
  • Josh Okogie (free agent)
  • Jock Landale (traded from Hawks)
Who's out:

• JaVale McGee (signed with Mavericks)
  • Aaron Holiday (signed with Hawks)
  • Frank Kaminsky (signed with Hawks)

How do we get a B+ when we became a worse team, seems to me that automatically means you should be below a C

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
How do we get a B+ when we became a worse team, seems to me that automatically means you should be below a C
They must be really looking at more than just the players on the roster -- giving Book his supermax and matching Ayton were likely big deals on the national stage.

Kaminsky was waived prior to the playoffs, so he shouldn't really be included here as a "loss". He hadn't even played since last fall. So lose McGee and Holiday and gain Jock, Okogie and Damien Lee, it's not that difficult seeing why a national guy might think the Suns are a net positive couple with the decisions made on Book and DA.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns should get Shroeder signed to the exception ASAP. If they are commited to winning he is the best available use of it at this point.
Argggh. I really don't like Schroeder. However, we need a backup pg. He has the ability to be good. So, I guess we should sign him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think you have to weigh what the Suns did.

Extending Devin Booker and matching the offer sheet for Deandre Ayton were not only essential but high dollar moves as well. Those two moves alone should give the Suns a B plus their free agency signings were solid.

I do think the Suns will be even better when they tweak their roster. I'm not going to minimize the loss of McGee but there is only so much money to go around.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you have to weigh what the Suns did.

Extending Devin Booker and matching the offer sheet for Deandre Ayton were not only essential but high dollar moves as well. Those two moves alone should give the Suns a B plus their free agency signings were solid.

I do think the Suns will be even better when they tweak their roster. I'm not going to minimize the loss of McGee but there is only so much money to go around.
I'm sorry I don't give credit for no brainer moves.

No team in the league would have let Ayton go for nothing, or not tried to resign Booker since he is arguably a top 10 player.

I like the Landale move, but I don't think he replace's McGee and the 2 guards they signed are guys who ideally never get off your bench.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't give credit for no brainer moves.

No team in the league would have let Ayton go for nothing, or not tried to resign Booker since he is arguably a top 10 player.

I like the Landale move, but I don't think he replace's McGee and the 2 guards they signed are guys who ideally never get off your bench.

To properly grade the Suns we may have to wait until the trade deadline and buyouts are completed.

I do give credit for solid moves. Those moves lay the foundation for future moves.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Argggh. I really don't like Schroeder. However, we need a backup pg. He has the ability to be good. So, I guess we should sign him.

Signing him because he is available is like having a flair up while cooking and throwing gasoline on it because there happened to be some within reach.

Wouldn't take him for free.

Besides, he needs real playing time to try and salvage his self sabotaged career. He isn't going to sign here for the couple minutes he'd get every few games as the backup to the backup point guard.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Signing him because he is available is like having a flair up while cooking and throwing gasoline on it because there happened to be some within reach.

Wouldn't take him for free.

Besides, he needs real playing time to try and salvage his self sabotaged career. He isn't going to sign here for the couple minutes he'd get every few games as the backup to the backup point guard.

Self sabotaged? He's a giant guy who suffered a ruptured Achilles. He seems like kind of a jerk and maybe a bad teammate, but I wouldn't characterize his decline as self-sabotage.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Self sabotaged? He's a giant guy who suffered a ruptured Achilles. He seems like kind of a jerk and maybe a bad teammate, but I wouldn't characterize his decline as self-sabotage.

I was referencing Dennis Schroder in that post, not Cousins.

I don't think Cousins self sabotaged. I think was just generally overrated when he was in Sacramento (terrible defender and the other issues you mentioned) and then after the achillies tear he's too immobile to use other than niche situations.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was referencing Dennis Schroder in that post, not Cousins.

I don't think Cousins self sabotaged. I think was just generally overrated when he was in Sacramento (terrible defender and the other issues you mentioned) and then after the achillies tear he's too immobile to use other than niche situations.
Oh, my bad, I got lost in the threads.

You're probably right about Schroder.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone actually likes Schroeder, he's been so me-first during his career that it's no wonder he's always looking for a new job. But I see it this way, CP knows exactly who Dennis is and what he can do for a club.

If Chris says bring him in, I'd bring him in. If Chris is against or not fully supportive of the idea, stay far away from him.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or maybe the Haboob just plays better this year?

If Saric comes back healthy I think Payne will play much better. We butchered teams when they were on the court together in 2021.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Saric comes back healthy I think Payne will play much better. We butchered teams when they were on the court together in 2021.
Saric coming back healthy would be a huge boon to this team, without a doubt.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A Jazz reporter on Utah radio is reporting that Mitchell to Miami is a done deal, will be announced soon. If true the Suns are the only realistic suitor for Durant remaining.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
A Jazz reporter on Utah radio is reporting that Mitchell to Miami is a done deal, will be announced soon. If true the Suns are the only realistic suitor for Durant remaining.
I'm really surprised that the Jazz are blowing it up so thoroughly. They had the best record in the league two seasons ago.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm really surprised that the Jazz are blowing it up so thoroughly. They had the best record in the league two seasons ago.

Danny Ainge certainly has built an MO of blowing it up quick if he doesn't see a clear path to contention. Snyder obviously saw the writing on the wall.

It also didn't help that Gobert and Mitchell couldn't stand each other.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave