NBA Free Agency and Trades 2022

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KD is just not worth that. 34, Achilles, huge contract. Lots of risk there. I only see two bidders. Suns and Miami.

The entire league has contacted the Nets. That's well reported. Multiple NBA stars are trying to reach Durant. That's well reported.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The entire league has contacted the Nets. That's well reported. Multiple NBA stars are trying to reach Durant. That's well reported.
Maybe every team has inquired but I keep hearing most of them walked away as soon as they heard the asking price. And I'd expect every NBA star to want to play with Durant so it's no surprise they've reached out to him.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe every team has inquired but I keep hearing most of them walked away as soon as they heard the asking price. And I'd expect every NBA star to want to play with Durant so it's no surprise they've reached out to him.

Well the Suns balked at that price too. Woj said two days ago the issue with the Suns is if the price falls than other teams get more involved, especially the Warriors.

Let's not pretend Durant is anything other than a top tier star. He absolutely is.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If we don't give away our assets, we can open another window a year or two down the road. And no, it's not the same thing as 15-20. We still had assets to work with, assets which led to Ayton, Bridges and CamJ.

And I disagree that we should disband a 64 win squad and just bet it all on a long shot because we didn't win our first two tries. Not to mention, we're probably looking at a full rebuild in two or three years as Paul and Durant age out and Booker's left playing with scrubs again. Sure, if we win a championship the decade or so of hell that will follow will be worth it to some fans. But I doubt it's good for the well being of the franchise.
I’m disbanding a 64-win team hypothetically because the Suns are doing it in reality, KD or not. They’re not running it back by all accounts.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
You can gauge probabilities for durability and the odds are stacked against KD, just like they have been against Paul. I was against trading for Paul because of age and durability. Regarding the regular season I was wrong. However he has not yet made it through a playoff run healthy.

I was wrong, we should have made the trade for Paul in retrospect. I was not completely wrong about the health issue.
Paul breaking down in the playoffs every year is exactly why this team needs another superstar. We all love Book but he’s not a 1a on a title team like Curry/Giannis/Lebron etc.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well the Suns balked at that price too. Woj said two days ago the issue with the Suns is if the price falls than other teams get more involved, especially the Warriors.

Let's not pretend Durant is anything other than a top tier star. He absolutely is.

No team is going to trade for Durant unless they have assurances that he wants to play for them. I also don't buy for even half a second that the Warriors have any real interest.

IMO, the Suns are only bidding against the Heat... and the Nets willingness to let this fester into the start of the season.

If Durant shows up in October and is pulling a "Harden" on them, clearly disinterested and milking any bump or bruise he can summon, they will regret playing hardball this Summer.

It's too bad we didn't fix things with Ayton a year ago. We could more easily afford to wait them out.

Barring some wild 4 way trade with Utah; Cam Johnson, cap filler and a boat load of picks is likely better than any offer they'll get.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I think the Wizards came out ahead in this trade.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Personally I think the Wizards came out ahead in this trade.

I'd much rather have Monte Morris and Barton. Morris is a solid combo guard and Barton is a gritty defensive wing who is a decent playmaker.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been a fan of both Morris and Barton. They both play hard.

Finding a point guard/combo guard in Morris who can pass and shoot are hard to find.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been a fan of both Morris and Barton. They both play hard.

Finding a point guard/combo guard in Morris who can pass and shoot are hard to find.

I misread your other post, I thought you meant the opposite and didn't like the trade for Washington. I was struggling to understand that POV. It's close between Morris and KCP in terms of talent but Morris is a playmaker while KCP is a better defender. Morris is also like 4-5 years younger.

Barton is much better than Ish Smith also. I like Ish as a temporary backup or 3rd string PG but that's it. He's finally added an outside shot so he isn't a complete liability but Barton is a good veteran to have that can cover 1-3 and play either the 2 or 3 with a little bit of PG mixed in provided he has another playmaker on the floor with him.

The deal I believe gets Denver under the tax line, or very close to it. They have a hefty payroll. I can see them not seeing the value in Morris though since Murray is supposed to return. If Murray misses time though they'll be hurting even more.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the Nuggets wanted to save some money but the Wizards made out like bandits in this trade.

Monte Morris would have looked good in a Suns uniform. Actually both players would have.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If KCP never played for the Lakers would people even know who he was. The hype those guys get is ridiculous

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If KCP never played for the Lakers would people even know who he was. The hype those guys get is ridiculous

I thought Kentavious Caldwell-Pope was a big disappointment with the Lakers too.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This could be why it's so quiet in the NBA. Only three teams are in the best position to facilitate trades.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Pistons having a great draft may have screwed up a lot of deals in free agency.

They draft Jaden Ivey at #5 and traded for the draft rights to Jalen Duren at #13.

Who would have thought prior to the draft.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Pistons having a great draft may have screwed up a lot of deals in free agency.

They draft Jaden Ivey at #5 and traded for the draft rights to Jalen Duren at #13.

Who would have thought prior to the draft.

The Knicks look like they’ve had a plan all along

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This could be why it's so quiet in the NBA. Only three teams are in the best position to facilitate trades.

Wow, did not realize there was only 3 teams under the cap. That's kind of crazy

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Austin Rivers signs a 1 year contract with the Timberwolves.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s reached journey man status.

As I recall the Suns received him in a trade but passed him on because he didn't want to play for Phoenix.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought that was trash. He would have been a good bench player for us.
He sucked in our 2021 WCSF series against Denver. He was filling in for Murray, but he couldn't guard anyone.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that was trash. He would have been a good bench player for us.

I didn't like it either but the Suns didn't seem that interested in Rivers other than as trade filler. Kelly Oubre was the primary piece.

And after Trevor Ariza, I'm sure they didn't want any player that didn't want to be here.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rivers was a weird case because reports were he didn't want to be here and we definitely could have used him at PG. That year Tyler Johnson was our best PG, which says we could have used Rivers.

Then a few years later Rivers said he actually did want to be here and was disappointed the Suns didn't want him. He then talked about how worried he was that was it for his NBA career. He then got a call from someone after we waived him and he moved on. I remember reading his comments as him wanting to stay in the league rather than he wanted to be in Phoenix specifically but the way he spun it was weird, like he wanted to be here despite all reports being the opposite at the time.

No loss, ultimately. It just seemed like Rivers was far more interested in helping himself primarily and that isn't a trait we wanted after the Ariza experiment backfired.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns should get Shroeder signed to the exception ASAP. If they are commited to winning he is the best available use of it at this point.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave