NBA Draft: Thursday, June 22, 2023; Suns are scheduled to select at #52.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This with the 52?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I want it for the bench unit.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This with the 52?
All that overdribbling is going to get him eaten alive at the NBA level. Plus, he seems like a bit of a black hole once he touches the ball. Might be all that we can get at this pick anyway.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This with the 52?

I want it for the bench unit.

I like his quickness. Maybe sign him to a two-way contact.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
All that overdribbling is going to get him eaten alive at the NBA level. Plus, he seems like a bit of a black hole once he touches the ball. Might be all that we can get at this pick anyway.
He would have to adjust to NBA and he's small. But he's blinding quick has great handles and can penetrate and kick out and might just be a bit better than Payne.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't want a point guard. We need to draft a wing or a big.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now teams just outright buy second round picks. No one has done that with a first yet. Doesn't that just sound like a precedent or challenge Ishbia would try?
Isn't there a limit on the amount you can pay - something like 5 million?

If that's the case I really doubt anyone would sell one for that price.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the idea the Suns seem to be going through the process of actually drafting a player. Hopefully, it shows a future commitment to the draft.

As far as I know, the Suns should have a first round pick in the 2024 draft.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like the idea the Suns seem to be going through the process of actually drafting a player. Hopefully, it shows a future commitment to the draft.

As far as I know, the Suns should have a first round pick in the 2024 draft.

I'm mostly interested in seeing the scouting department expanded. Not sure how many changes have been made in the few months Ishbia has been owner. Under Sarver the Suns had among the fewest scouts in the league and some comments JJ made in the past about the amount of time, or lack thereof spent scouting for the draft always concerned me.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm mostly interested in seeing the scouting department expanded. Not sure how many changes have been made in the few months Ishbia has been owner. Under Sarver the Suns had among the fewest scouts in the league and some comments JJ made in the past about the amount of time, or lack thereof spent scouting for the draft always concerned me.

I feel the same way. I'd prioritize scouting even over having a G-League team, although ultimately they should go hand in hand.

The Suns should invest heavily in scouting. Right now, it seems like the Suns are looking for players that are ready to play at the NBA level.

During the next phase, presumably rebuild, we will see a heavy investment in developing young players.

Of course the Heat seem to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Blinding quick in European league
Euro league is more physical and generally has worse spacing. In some ways it's harder to look good there. It's part of the reason a lot of guys were sleeping on Luka when he was entering the draft. He certainly made the doubters look silly.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a homer but I'll say it now, whoever gets Jaime Jaquez Jr is going to be getting a steal. Has to improve his 3 point shot, there's injury concern with his ankles but he plays the game the right way, surprised at the combine with workouts, his vert was terrific. Just a great kid.

I actually want the Warriors to take him but my understanding is he's not on their radar.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns gave the Wizard's 6 second rounders and the Nets 5 1st rounders. Say goodby to the draft unless picks are bought.
Still get 1st's every other year, but yeah, I'm not real happy about having very little draft capital for the next 7 years.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It really is strange following the trends of valuation of NBA draft picks over time. When I was growing up in the 1970s/1980s, NBA draft picks, through the end of the first round and into even the later rounds (the draft used to last up to 12 rounds at one point) had real trade value and were often assets in major trades.

Then that seemed to change at some point in the late 1990s and through a good portion of time up until the present, when lots of teams would routinely sell off or just straight up dump their picks (often right after making selections with them) they were so devalued.

Now with the new CBA, it seems that even second round picks, which literally were considered to be garbage as far as trade value until... well, now... seem to have renewed value as assets.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Gambadoro thinks there is a chance the Suns could move up in the draft.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really is strange following the trends of valuation of NBA draft picks over time. When I was growing up in the 1970s/1980s, NBA draft picks, through the end of the first round and into even the later rounds (the draft used to last up.to 12 rounds at one point) had real trade value and were often assets in major trades.

Then that seemed to change at some point in the late 1990s and through a good portion of time up until the present, when lots of teams would routinely sell off or just straight up dump their picks (often right after making select with them) they were so devalued.

Now with the new CBA, it seems that even second round picks, which literally were considered to be garbage as far as trade value until... well, now... seem to be have renewed value as assets.

Also, it seems like teams now bundle second round picks to present more value in a trade when 1st round picks are not available.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
John Gambadoro thinks there is a chance the Suns could move up in the draft.

How? Just cash - cause other than Ayton that's all we got. Unless they are shopping Payne - don't even think he could get us more than a 2nd though.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How many picks in tonight's draft could we get for Ayton? I think I'd rather have 5ish rookies with heart.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How? Just cash - cause other than Ayton that's all we got. Unless they are shopping Payne - don't even think he could get us more than a 2nd though.

Are there rules anymore? It doesn't feel like it and the value of players have been turned upside down.

I will see what Mat Ishbia is serving for dinner.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really is strange following the trends of valuation of NBA draft picks over time. When I was growing up in the 1970s/1980s, NBA draft picks, through the end of the first round and into even the later rounds (the draft used to last up.to 12 rounds at one point) had real trade value and were often assets in major trades.

Then that seemed to change at some point in the late 1990s and through a good portion of time up until the present, when lots of teams would routinely sell off or just straight up dump their picks (often right after making selections with them) they were so devalued.

Now with the new CBA, it seems that even second round picks, which literally were considered to be garbage as far as trade value until... well, now... seem to be have renewed value as assets.
Draft picks used to be more of a known commodity. Still a crap shoot, but better ideas.

With so many players doing One and Done, G-League, and Overseas, teams don't have the data and feel for players like they used to - making picks less valuable since you have so many busts.