NBA Draft: Thursday, June 22, 2023; Suns are scheduled to select at #52.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could go the opposite way as well if he flips still under Vogel people will just be like this dude is a total bust, then we are saddled with him and his terrible contract!
Ayton at his worst is still an 18/10 guy. He will have some value since big guys don't grow on trees. So, I am not worried about the opposite.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton at his worst is still an 18/10 guy. He will have some value since big guys don't grow on trees. So, I am not worried about the opposite.
Yeah I don’t think he is an 18/10 guy averages are just that dude has lots of games with like 4-5 rebounds which is ridiculous for a 7 footer! If you can only count on him to show up once or twice a week it kind of makes him a terrible contract!

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah I don’t think he is an 18/10 guy averages are just that dude has lots of games with like 4-5 rebounds which is ridiculous for a 7 footer! If you can only count on him to show up once or twice a week it kind of makes him a terrible contract!
There will still be the idea that he needs a change of scenery and a new team. I can't really see how it would tank his value from where it currently is.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Could go the opposite way as well if he flips still under Vogel people will just be like this dude is a total bust, then we are saddled with him and his terrible contract!
We are already there.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In the playoffs he averaged 13 & 8. He's regressing.
Of course his numbers are lower. We added Kevin freaking Durant. And he opened up the floor for Booker, there weren't that many touches to be had any more. Even when he got touches, he passed it because practically any shot KD gets is a high percentage shot.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Of course his numbers are lower. We added Kevin freaking Durant. And he opened up the floor for Booker, there weren't that many touches to be had any more. Even when he got touches, he passed it because practically any shot KD gets is a high percentage shot.
That, but also since Ayton has been here, almost every game there are whole quarters he goes without a touch on offense. It seems like the Suns just forget he's out there. He doesn't demand the ball either. Our coaches don't make it a priority either. I remember when Shaq was on the Lakers and there was a stretch of games that for whatever reason, Shaq's touches went down. Phil made it a rule they couldn't shoot in the half court offense until Shaq touched the ball at least once. On the other hand, Shaq let it be known when he wanted the ball. I don't think Ayton has that gravitas on the Suns.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There were shots to go around, Ayton didn't take them. I was also pointing out how the "at worst he'll get you 18 & 10" as we saw that's not true. He can't be counted on for much of anything. He is producing at a Luc Longley level and we need more for him to boost his trade value and justify his salary.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
There were shots to go around, Ayton didn't take them. I was also pointing out how the "at worst he'll get you 18 & 10" as we saw that's not true. He can't be counted on for much of anything. He is producing at a Luc Longley level and we need more for him to boost his trade value and justify his salary.

I don't know about that. Ayton is a major disappointment, but not Luc Longley bad...Longley averaged 7pts and 5 boards for his career. Last season DA slept through 1/2 the games and still averaged 18 and 10.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are playoff numbers. Not that they don't count but most teams will look at his regular season numbers knowing the playoffs are a different animal.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think he is regressing - but I don't think is progressing either.

It's just that the NBA has him figured out.

The defense in the playoffs is way tougher and his ability to get easy baskets is greatly reduced. The ball naturally goes to players who can create their own shot, and he can't outside of 5 feet. As far as rebounding his ability to rebound is the same, that is mostly a lack of effort.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was thinking if he’s able he might try to buy a first rounder.
Saw an EPSN panel talking about this very thing. They don't see where it's not allowed, but no one has done it yet. The pricing for a second rounder can be 1-2 million range. So what would be a first rounder?

For fun, what if someone went to SA and said, I will give you 1 billion dollars for the first pick in this year's NBA Draft? :lol:

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Saw an EPSN panel talking about this very thing. They don't see where it's not allowed, but no one has done it yet. The pricing for a second rounder can be 1-2 million range. So what would be a first rounder?

For fun, what if someone went to SA and said, I will give you 1 billion dollars for the first pick in this year's NBA Draft? :lol:
Didn't the Suns used to sell off their first rounders with some regularity in the early days of Sarver owning the team? There were several drafts from about 2005 to 2010 or so when they would use their first rounder but then immediately trade the player on draft night to another team for negligible considerations plus cash. We dumped something like 4 or 5 draft picks that way, as I recall.

I know it wasn't a straightforward "sale" of the pick but rather a back door way of accomplishing the same thing.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Didn't the Suns used to sell off their first rounders with some regularity in the early days of Sarver owning the team? There were several drafts from about 2005 to 2010 or so when they would use their first rounder but then immediately trade the player on draft night to another team for negligible considerations plus cash. We dumped something like 4 or 5 draft picks that way, as I recall.

I know it wasn't a straightforward "sale" of the pick but rather a back door way of accomplishing the same thing.
Now teams just outright buy second round picks. No one has done that with a first yet. Doesn't that just sound like a precedent or challenge Ishbia would try?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Pacers have five picks in this draft, three firsts and two seconds. The reality is that no team can develop that many rookies at once. They almost HAVE to do a deal. They also wanted Ayton last year. Can we trade with them according to the rules? I thought there was a rule that you cannot trade a player to the teach that extended an offer sheet (that was matched).

A deal with the Pacers could probably be done after July 1. I could see a couple of players and a pick for Ayton. Interesting.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Pacers have five picks in this draft, three firsts and two seconds. The reality is that no team can develop that many rookies at once. They almost HAVE to do a deal. They also wanted Ayton last year. Can we trade with them according to the rules? I thought there was a rule that you cannot trade a player to the teach that extended an offer sheet (that was matched).

A deal with the Pacers could probably be done after July 1. I could see a couple of players and a pick for Ayton. Interesting.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

I saw ESPN saying a deal would probably have to be done for Ayton before July 1, otherwise they feel it may be a trade deadline deal, and then with the new CBA, the salaries are harder to match up. They made it sound like the best time to deal guys, for all clubs, is before July 1.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I think the max that can be offered is $3-4M.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Why would Indy do that? Both Indy picks are likely better than the two Denver picks they will be getting in return. Maybe a player is also coming to Indy.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I thought I heard 5M.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a reminder, the 2023 NBA Draft will be at 5 p.m. on Thursday. It will be televised on ABC and ESPN.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Lol okay.. Suns are like that one broken friend you have in your early 20s in college that talk about wanting this expensive item. Like bro.. sit down.. we know you’re broke.. you can’t afford to do anything.. unless you sell blood (in this case Ayton)
Wants a Rolex, but can't afford a Romex.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard