NBA 2022 Draft and Related Trades

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I've read he has a fair chance of becoming the big name from this class.

he's really athletic some teams see him like D Wade although he's smaller.

I was in Sac over the weekend all the Kings fans at the party I was at want them to take him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because Holiday isn't a true PG? He was also literally given away by Washington last year. Holiday was not the answer to the Suns problems.

It was worth a try the way Cam Payne was playing in the playoffs. He was not the same player as the previous season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This has some interesting nuggets and insights into James jones talent acquisition theories.

Some of it makes sense (like making sure his basketball operations understands the team and it’s needs verses being overseas all the time and having no idea what to look for in a prospect for the team). But he’s also pretty explicitly admitting that he wouldn’t have taken Booker with his process and that they’d never discover a Giannis. In a league where you have to take some big swings to have a chance at a championship solely by targeting the Mikal bridges and cam Johnson’s of the world. Moreover there’s not a strategy for sustained success if you’re always hunting aged veterans. Yeah you can reboot regularly instead of rebuild, but that’s a crapshoot too. He says he wants to be Miami’s model, Riley’s model, but there’s big differences: (1) free agents want to go to Miami, it’s one of only a few destination locations for NBA players; and (2) thus far James jones is no pat Riley. Not to mention, if Riley hasn’t convinced a shaq or Lebron to abandon their old team that model hasn’t produced championships.

Overall that article actually confirms my worst fears about jones. He’s smart. A lot of the concepts are sound. But he thinks he smarter than he is. It feels like hubris to essentially say, we believe our system - a system which admittedly would’ve passed on Booker and not even known about Giannis - is the superior system.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was worth a try the way Cam Payne was playing in the playoffs. He was not the same player as the previous season.

I don't think it was. He wouldn't have helped where we needed it. When Shamet was used as a PG in game 5 though it was clear we needed backcourt size, shooting, and play making. Holiday is small, not a great shooter, and not a good distributor either. He was better than Elfrid Payton, which is why he was acquired, but he wasn't better than Shamet or Payne, even with their below average play.

There is a finite amount of minutes for backups and Monty used those trying to get our normal backups going. It didn't work. He went back to playing our starters and perhaps overplayed them some but going back to Booker and Paul was better than going further down the bench.

One substitution wasn't going to bring us back or help change game 7. Prime Michael Jordan would have been hard pressed to make a difference with how awful all Suns were.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This has some interesting nuggets and insights into James jones talent acquisition theories.

Some of it makes sense (like making sure his basketball operations understands the team and it’s needs verses being overseas all the time and having no idea what to look for in a prospect for the team). But he’s also pretty explicitly admitting that he wouldn’t have taken Booker with his process and that they’d never discover a Giannis. In a league where you have to take some big swings to have a chance at a championship solely by targeting the Mikal bridges and cam Johnson’s of the world. Moreover there’s not a strategy for sustained success if you’re always hunting aged veterans. Yeah you can reboot regularly instead of rebuild, but that’s a crapshoot too. He says he wants to be Miami’s model, Riley’s model, but there’s big differences: (1) free agents want to go to Miami, it’s one of only a few destination locations for NBA players; and (2) thus far James jones is no pat Riley. Not to mention, if Riley hasn’t convinced a shaq or Lebron to abandon their old team that model hasn’t produced championships.

Overall that article actually confirms my worst fears about jones. He’s smart. A lot of the concepts are sound. But he thinks he smarter than he is. It feels like hubris to essentially say, we believe our system - a system which admittedly would’ve passed on Booker and not even known about Giannis - is the superior system.

Does anybody have the rest of the article that is blocked by insider?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it was. He wouldn't have helped where we needed it. When Shamet was used as a PG in game 5 though it was clear we needed backcourt size, shooting, and play making. Holiday is small, not a great shooter, and not a good distributor either. He was better than Elfrid Payton, which is why he was acquired, but he wasn't better than Shamet or Payne, even with their below average play.

There is a finite amount of minutes for backups and Monty used those trying to get our normal backups going. It didn't work. He went back to playing our starters and perhaps overplayed them some but going back to Booker and Paul was better than going further down the bench.

One substitution wasn't going to bring us back or help change game 7. Prime Michael Jordan would have been hard pressed to make a difference with how awful all Suns were.

With the Suns floundering, it makes sense to exhaust every option from my perspective. The same way Monty should have played Kaminsky more against the Bucks.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well I could not read the whole article because of the paywall but yeah this is pretty much the way I thought James Jones viewed the draft.

It's a recipe for mediocraty is the way I view it. Limiting risk limits success but it also limits failure - mediocraty.

This might sound good to management because they probably value making money over all else, but as a fan it doesn't make me feel to great about our title chances.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Heat do a tremendous job of scouting and developing young prospects, many of which go undrafted.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Yes, I have picked up on this, too. There does seem to be quite a bit of arrogance in the Suns management, both on the part of Jones AND Monty who seem to both be so convinced they are right about everything they refuse to ever course correct. I assume the relative success the team has had over the last couple of years won't exactly be helpful in that regard, either, so I expect more of the same going forward.

It's a recipe for mediocraty is the way I view it. Limiting risk limits success but it also limits failure - mediocraty.

This might sound good to management because they probably value making money over all else, but as a fan it doesn't make me feel to great about our title chances.
Yup, this, too. With Sarver running things, I am certain the internal emphasis is always being placed on cutting costs over doing anything that might be "innovative."

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I could not read the whole article because of the paywall but yeah this is pretty much the way I thought James Jones viewed the draft.

If you're early in the rebuild process I think it's the wrong way to go but for a team that believes it has it's stars and it usually drafting late, I think it's a very astute approach. It's not like they can't get most of the draft information they need should the need arise but you usually have a better chance of finding win now players in free agency.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The only Top 10 guy I would want is Holmgren and I think ORL takes him over Smith. ORL is going to have a very young roster full of potential. I don't see them wanting Ayton when they have Bamba, Carter and possibly Holmgren.

Hopefully PHX can land some late first / second round picks to fill out bench. Again, a kid I like at PF is Michael Foster. I think he can be a steal in Round 2.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only Top 10 guy I would want is Holmgren and I think ORL takes him over Smith. ORL is going to have a very young roster full of potential. I don't see them wanting Ayton when they have Bamba, Carter and possibly Holmgren.

Hopefully PHX can land some late first / second round picks to fill out bench. Again, a kid I like at PF is Michael Foster. I think he can be a steal in Round 2.

I think Keegan Murray is going to be a stud.

I also think Holmgren is going to be a total disaster.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This could also be a reason the Magic want Ayton, if they feel they are ready to take the next step.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Detroit with a salary dump. They'll have money to throw at Ayton, but nothing to offer in return now. This improves the chances we keep Ayton even though Detroit fans will think differently.

How long does Portland have to trade Grant? I remember there being a timeframe after a trade where a player can still be traded.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson