National League designated hitter

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
As a National League fan since I was eleven years old, I have opposed the designated hitter in the N.L. since the A.L. adopted it. Even though most National League teams have abandoned using strategy long ago.

But as I posted some time ago, I backed using it in the N.L. permanently for the following reason. With the exception of one league in Japan (as far as I know), all of the other leagues use the D.H. Including American college and Minor League teams, where players and pitchers prepare for it.

And I felt that not using it put N.L. teams at a disadvantage. A.L. teams stock their rosters for nine batters positions, while the N.L. stock theirs for eight batters positions. So they had to scramble when playing in a D.H. game.

Now that COVID-19 schedules are based on regional areas rather than leagues, we are all using the D.H. But Torey Lovullo is not using that batting position as a hitters position. He announced that he going to rotate hitters. A batting position without a player who earned it. Or, at worst, a regular left-handed/right-handed platoon. Putting us at a disadvantage when facing other teams. Most nights, the best candidate is not at D.H.

For all of those reasons, I hope that MLB doesn't rescind the D.H. in the N.L. next season. And that the D-backs get with the program.

What are your thoughts, based on these circumstances?

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like it. With the exception of a handful of pitchers, them batting is a joke. Plus it allows to teams to keep an impact bat in lineup even if there is no where for him to play or you don't want him fielding. Helps offense for sure and boy have we needed offense.

Azjose86

Veteran
Reaction score
I've always loved the NL set up and was stubborn to keep the pitchers batting. But pitching is such a specialized skill. The way I would compare it, would be like asking the QB of an NFL team go kick his own extra point.

In a sport where if you are successful 30% of the time of getting a hit,you're a great hitter. That shows you how difficult it is to be a solid hitter. So I don't see why not have that guy who specializes only on hitting and let the pitcher focus on the pitching.

Lastly, too many times we've seen a starter could probably go an inning or 2 more to be yanked be a use their batting spot is coming up.

So I'm all for putting my stubbornness to the side and going for a DH all around.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I've always loved the NL set up and was stubborn to keep the pitchers batting. But pitching is such a specialized skill. The way I would compare it, would be like asking the QB of an NFL team go kick his own extra point.

In a sport where if you are successful 30% of the time of getting a hit,you're a great hitter. That shows you how difficult it is to be a solid hitter. So I don't see why not have that guy who specializes only on hitting and let the pitcher focus on the pitching.

Lastly, too many times we've seen a starter could probably go an inning or 2 more to be yanked be a use their batting spot is coming up.

So I'm all for putting my stubbornness to the side and going for a DH all around.

I reached that conclusion, too. Not only because of the reasons you mention, but because
all of the other leagues in the world (except one in Japan) and all of the kids coming through
school, as well as the Minor Leagues, use the DH.

It puts our National League at a disadvantage. As well as NL Minor League pitchers who come
up to their Major League team without hitting experience.

As the ol' saying goes, if you can't beat them, join them.

EDIT: Oops, I just saw that I started the thread and just repeated myself. 'Sorry! :shrug:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson