Nash to Lakers???

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I guess there was a lot of empty rhetoric from both sides last year. The Lakers contract is something I would have expected the Suns to offer: 3-years/$25M. But like I said earlier, neither Nash nor Suns seemed particularly interested in continuing together, regardless of what moves the Suns would have made this off-season. I also said don't trade him to the Lakers.....

I cannot root for the Lakers. Unless they play Miami in the finals. Then it will be much easier. But this is really the worst destination he could have picked, other than Miami.

As for the draft picks, I guess we could have ended up with nothing. But those picks aren't really worth much. That's why the Lakers don't mind giving them away. Remember that late first-rounders are worth less than early second-rounders, because of the guaranteed salary you have to pay. I don't see Sarver doing much with a 28th overall, other than cashing it in perhaps.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it to be the same irrational thinking. Nash stayed loyal to the team despite watching it be stripped of talent year after year. Nash has earned the right to play where he wants.

Yeah, I doubt anyone here would make a different decision. Play for a contender for $8 million a year/3 years or play for the Suns for $6 million a year/2 years. If you are capable of walking away from $12 million in the name of team loyalty, stay away from my bank account.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pure class Mr Steve Nash, didn't Lebron us and leave us all empty Nash'did, with nothing to show for it. That is a polethera of pick-olas, very nice. Played like a stud here his entire career and that's all we can ask for, I wish it wasn't Hell-A but it makes since for Nash and Kobe, it should also get Gasol back into the game. Good for Suns fans and good for Faker fans, we got some damn good years out of that little soccerman and now we got some damn good picks.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, i get all the good things about this trade. Yes, it's draft picks, yes, we are building for the future....

But it's the FRAKKING Lakers.

I'm all for us getting the benefits of trades, but sometimes it's not worth it when it means you have to watch Nash play for someone like the Lakers, right alongside Kobe.

Can you imagine if this were the Spurs? It's almost the same thing for me.

Logic be damned, I hate this trade.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, hearing Grant Hill to the Lakers, too.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From Coro's quick piece.

The Suns get the worst of Miami's and the Los Angeles Lakers' first-round picks in the 2013 draft, a 2015 Lakers first-round pick with minimal protection, Denver's 2013 second-round pick and the Lakers' 2014 second-round pick.
So the #30 pick next year and hopefully minimally means only top 3 for 2015. Denver's 2013 2nd rounder will be middle of the round and the Lakers 2014 2nd rounder will likely be towards the end of the draft.

Coro also talks about the Suns reluctance to trade to the Lakers, but they did it as a favor to Nash who requested it to be near his kids.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Okay, i get all the good things about this trade. Yes, it's draft picks, yes, we are building for the future....

But it's the FRAKKING Lakers.

I'm all for us getting the benefits of trades, but sometimes it's not worth it when it means you have to watch Nash play for someone like the Lakers, right alongside Kobe.

Can you imagine if this were the Spurs? It's almost the same thing for me.

Logic be damned, I hate this trade.

Plus the picks are really not good, only one really has value.

The 2013 pick is the worse pick of Miami/LA (last pick of first round or last couple likely) and 2 second rounders?

The only pick that may have real value is the 2015 first rounder. To watch Nash for the f'n Lakers. Puke.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns also get $3.1M cash. Now it makes sense.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns fans complain about the Suns not getting additional late 1st round picks and 2nd round picks. Suns get additional late round picks and 2nd round picks. Suns fans complain that late 1st round picks and 2nd round pick are crappy.

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
Gutted. I'd prefer for Nash to retire, join the Heat or play hockey compared with this.

I won't be able to stomach him in a Lakers jersey.

I haven't even read what the Suns get in return, but this feels like selling the soul to the devil.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Free agent PG Ramon Sessions is now a possible target for the Suns, according to Sam Amico.
Ironically, Sessions opted out with the Lakers after coming over from Cleveland last season, and could end up being Steve Nash's replacement, after the Suns traded Nash to the Lakers on Wednesday.
Related: Suns
Source: Sam Amico on Twitter
Jul 4 - 9:26 PM

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
And just when I thought it couldn't get any worse:

From ESPN: "Sources told ESPN.com that Nash will try to convince longtime teammate Grant Hill, one of his closest friends in the game, to join him with the Lakers."

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Certainly there must be a trade exception for $8.3m for the Suns as well. We're not taking ANY salary back, but I don't see this mentioned in the thread.

2 firsts
2 seconds
$3.1m cash
$8.3m trade exception

That's actually a GREAT deal....

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I seriously don't understand how any Suns fan can have any resentment towards Nash. If anyone has earned the right to call the shots where they play it's him.

It's just like how JJ was vilified for getting paid more than what the Suns would pay him.

Sure, I was upset when I first heard the news but then I read this and can now understand it a heck of a lot better:

sources say team owner Robert Sarver finally agreed to the trade after yielding to a plea from Nash to send him to a destination where he could maintain the closest possible ties to his children and still chase the ring that has eluded him for 16 seasons.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Certainly there must be a trade exception for $8.3m for the Suns as well. We're not taking ANY salary back, but I don't see this mentioned in the thread.

2 firsts
2 seconds
$3.1m cash
$8.3m trade exception

That's actually a GREAT deal....
The Suns are under the cap so no exceptions.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Suns fans complain about the Suns not getting additional late 1st round picks and 2nd round picks. Suns get additional late round picks and 2nd round picks. Suns fans complain that late 1st round picks and 2nd round pick are crappy.

Not to mention we got value for a 38 year old PG while we're rebuilding. Yes I'm not happy its the Lakers but we got a pretty good deal out of it

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Even if it's what Nash wanted? I'm finding it really difficult to be critical of a move that was done at Nash's request.

Though I never really understood the inferiority complex most Suns fans have with the Lakers. The Lakers average a couple of championships a decade, the Suns have been to the Finals twice and never won, it's a 3rd rate rivalry at best.

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
I have a pit in my stomach. I don't care what deal you have or what player you'll get, you don't trade to one of your rivals. Now I have to face the ****** Laker fans at work and rub it in my face. Based on your "great" draft history, the picks are meaningless.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And just when I thought it couldn't get any worse:

From ESPN: "Sources told ESPN.com that Nash will try to convince longtime teammate Grant Hill, one of his closest friends in the game, to join him with the Lakers."

And the hits keep onnnnnn comin'

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if it's what Nash wanted? I'm finding it really difficult to be critical of a move that was done at Nash's request.

Though I never really understood the inferiority complex most Suns fans have with the Lakers. The Lakers average a couple of championships a decade, the Suns have been to the Finals twice and never won, it's a 3rd rate rivalry at best.

I think it's #2 to the Spurs. I'm a native of this state and we've always hated the Lakers. So whatever :)

I hear Nash wanted it...but it sucks either way.

Maybe tomorrow I'll wake up and not think about this as a fan and realize he wanted to go, so what do I care.

But right now...I wish he would have NOT wanted to go there.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Lakers should sign Karl Malone and Gary Payton too. They're getting desperate.

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
This is the lowest point in Suns history. Without question. Sarver is a movie villain at this point. I think he's been a double agent for the Lakers all along. I wish nothing but ill on him. He is a monster.