Nash to Lakers???

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
I'd like for Nash to have a special clause in his contract, allowing him to sit out regular season games against Phoenix.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Also Nash will likely be retired in three seasons. As I said earlier, I'd like to bring him back for the minimum for one final season so he can retire a Sun.

The Dan Majerle treatment. He can start chucking 3s at the end of the final game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah, he's getting hate from other media because he gets these Suns tidbits thanks to being Sarver's best friend.

I guess I will have to give Gambadoro more credibility in the future when it comes to the Suns.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hate $arver. He's an idiot for an owner. This is his first real business and it shows.

I hate the Lakers. I hate the rubbing in by people I know who are Lakers fans.

I can still say we got jack squat for Marion/Amare/JJ

But with Nash, who was a free agent, we just got two 1sts and two 2nds.
:)

The Suns come first, not Nash. But Nash got his wish to chase a title, get paid, and be close to his kids (who it seems probably will stay in phx).

This was a steal. We couldn't of expected more from a deal with him under contract. The fact that we got it for a guy who wasn't under contract is FINALLY a deal I can get behind.

The only problem, is that it is to the friggin Lakers. That's it.

I don't want to give them a championship. But we still haven't. The Lakers are old now. I see a huge drop off coming. They are limited in what they can do. They 14-15 season may well be a rebuilding year. They have only one guy under contract for that season. Which means either they are going to be rebuilding that year, or they are going to try to re-sign and keep an old Nash, Kobe, Gasol together. With an injury prone Bynum being physically about as banged up (who needs to be re-signed before any of these other guys). They're going to be in a position where they will be old or have too much capspace to spend in one offseason effectively.

They have 1-2 years max. Then the Lakers are going to face some serious questions, and need a lot of answers. That '15 pick is perfect placement.

I rightly criticize our front office and owner for being idiots. This is not one of those times. I can understand the frustration and betrayal. But the Suns got a heavy ransom for what reasonably they should have got nothing.

Please don't trade these picks. None of these picks better go to NOLA.

I hate that our FO and $OWNER$ had to put us in this position. But they did. We had to make this deal. We needed assets. Nash could of gone for nothing. Anywhere. We got a big stash of picks.

We're going to suck, and we shouldn't be trying to compete against the Lakers and Heat. Many people are saying the Suns, $arver, and the FO have hit bottom.

Well we needed to hit bottom to get better. If we stay there for a while we might just have a successful reascension to the top. This is what the bottom looks like. Technically there may be a lower bottom, but this is the capitulation to bottom...bottom.

The Suns come first. We can't let pride get in the way of by far the best offer.

This is the best move during the $arver era. Unfortunately made necessary because of $arver. Now will they string together a few good moves? Or go back to making crappy moves? We know what they usually do. So we'll see.

But they do deserve credit because they did the deal. You don't run successful teams on emotions. We've seen enough of that due to $arver already. $$$ to shave costs. Emotions to add somebody at any cost to the franchise long term needs. $arver didn't screw this up, for once. He and the front office were presented by far the best option, and took it. This may be the only time I give $arver credit, and obviously this iteration of the front office. But I call it like I see it. He did the right thing this time for the franchise. What's best for the fan's psyche, isn't the best for the team. The only emotion that counts in the NBA is winning the championship. We just furthered our cause by furthering someone else's. Who we screwed were the other teams, not our fan base. If we're not competing meaningfully, who cares where other teams place.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are out of their damn minds. Trading Nash to a Rival. LOL. Holy $!@!@#

There is a part of me that would like to see Nash get a ring but not with the F$##@$!@ Lakers.

Also, I am torn about the draft picks as well. If I thought the Suns would do the right thing with them I would be excited. The Suns can't draft worth a lick and if they are using most of the assets on Gordan?!?!?!?!

This FO sucks. Happy 4th.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
You do know thats how 99.9% of S&Ts are facilitated, right?

I don't, but I trust you.

I guess my point was that if Nash hadn't arranged a sign and trade deal, he could have left as an unrestricted free agent. Had that happened, the Suns would have gotten nothing in return, so it's sort of a no-brainer for management to take the sign and trade.

I just found it interesting that Nash gave credit to Suns management for agreeing to the deal. IMO, they should be thanking him for going above and beyond, not the other way around.

I agree with the people who are saying this was a final assist from Nash to the Suns by getting them a few draft picks.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Suns are out of their damn minds. Trading Nash to a Rival. LOL. Holy $!@!@#

There is a part of me that would like to see Nash get a ring but not with the F$##@$!@ Lakers.

Also, I am torn about the draft picks as well. If I thought the Suns would do the right thing with them I would be excited. The Suns can't draft worth a lick and if they are using most of the assets on Gordan?!?!?!?!

This FO sucks. Happy 4th.

It's not that they can't draft. They just don't hang onto them.

I agree it's a big risk that we'll trade some of these to give a max contract to Eric Gordon. I hope not. I would heavily criticize it. But we're not there yet.

This deal is good. That deal wouldn't be. We made the right move. Besides if this keeps the Lakers from getting Howard, long term wise we may have screwed the Lakers by creating a situation where everyone craps out at the same time...kobe, nash, gasol, and probably even bynum. That '15 pick looks REAL good from a speculative standpoint of where they might be that season.

They only have Christian Eyenga under contract for that season, and none of their core players then will be tradeable if somehow were still under contract. Way too much to spend in an offseason to become credible.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hate $arver. He's an idiot for an owner. This is his first real business and it shows.

I hate the Lakers. I hate the rubbing in by people I know who are Lakers fans.

I can still say we got jack squat for Marion/Amare/JJ

But with Nash, who was a free agent, we just got two 1sts and two 2nds.
:)

The Suns come first, not Nash. But Nash got his wish to chase a title, get paid, and be close to his kids (who it seems probably will stay in phx).

This was a steal. We couldn't of expected more from a deal with him under contract. The fact that we got it for a guy who wasn't under contract is FINALLY a deal I can get behind.

The only problem, is that it is to the friggin Lakers. That's it.

I don't want to give them a championship. But we still haven't. The Lakers are old now. I see a huge drop off coming. They are limited in what they can do. They 14-15 season may well be a rebuilding year. They have only one guy under contract for that season. Which means either they are going to be rebuilding that year, or they are going to try to re-sign and keep an old Nash, Kobe, Gasol together. With an injury prone Bynum being physically about as banged up (who needs to be re-signed before any of these other guys). They're going to be in a position where they will be old or have too much capspace to spend in one offseason effectively.

They have 1-2 years max. Then the Lakers are going to face some serious questions, and need a lot of answers. That '15 pick is perfect placement.

I rightly criticize our front office and owner for being idiots. This is not one of those times. I can understand the frustration and betrayal. But the Suns got a heavy ransom for what reasonably they should have got nothing.

Please don't trade these picks. None of these picks better go to NOLA.

I hate that our FO and $OWNER$ had to put us in this position. But they did. We had to make this deal. We needed assets. Nash could of gone for nothing. Anywhere. We got a big stash of picks.

We're going to suck, and we shouldn't be trying to compete against the Lakers and Heat. Many people are saying the Suns, $arver, and the FO have hit bottom.

Well we needed to hit bottom to get better. If we stay there for a while we might just have a successful reascension to the top. This is what the bottom looks like. Technically there may be a lower bottom, but this is the capitulation to bottom...bottom.

The Suns come first. We can't let pride get in the way of by far the best offer.

This is the best move during the $arver era. Unfortunately made necessary because of $arver. Now will they string together a few good moves? Or go back to making crappy moves? We know what they usually do. So we'll see.

But they do deserve credit because they did the deal. You don't run successful teams on emotions. We've seen enough of that due to $arver already. $$$ to shave costs. Emotions to add somebody at any cost to the franchise long term needs. $arver didn't screw this up, for once. He and the front office were presented by far the best option, and took it. This may be the only time I give $arver credit, and obviously this iteration of the front office. But I call it like I see it. He did the right thing this time for the franchise. What's best for the fan's psyche, isn't the best for the team. The only emotion that counts in the NBA is winning the championship. We just furthered our cause by furthering someone else's. Who we screwed were the other teams, not our fan base. If we're not competing meaningfully, who cares where other teams place.
+1
Good post.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I saw this in a Lakers forum and thought it was pretty funny. The Laker fan said, "I am not worried about giving up the picks, we can probably buy them back from Sarver later".

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't, but I trust you.

I guess my point was that if Nash hadn't arranged a sign and trade deal, he could have left as an unrestricted free agent. Had that happened, the Suns would have gotten nothing in return, so it's sort of a no-brainer for management to take the sign and trade.

I just found it interesting that Nash gave credit to Suns management for agreeing to the deal. IMO, they should be thanking him for going above and beyond, not the other way around.

I agree with the people who are saying this was a final assist from Nash to the Suns by getting them a few draft picks.

It was mutually beneficial. Nash would have had to take a massive pay cut to sign with the Lakers without the Suns cooperation. The Suns also now have a sizable TPE which will allow them to spend up to the cap and still have good flexibility to facilitate trades.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I saw this in a Lakers forum and thought it was pretty funny. The Laker fan said, "I am not worried about giving up the picks, we can probably buy them back from Sarver later".

Not if someone beats them to it.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
It was mutually beneficial. Nash would have had to take a massive pay cut to sign with the Lakers without the Suns cooperation. The Suns also now have a sizable TPE which will allow them to spend up to the cap and still have good flexibility to facilitate trades.

Ah, that makes sense. This league is too complicated for me. LOL.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Now we will find out if the Suns FO has the smarts to use these assets to move forward wisely. No excuses for Babby or Blanks. They have the assets... CAP space and picks to get it done.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ah, that makes sense. This league is too complicated for me. LOL.

I actually think the CBA is less complicated than the NFL's since there are rule sets on the type of contracts offered and it all counts towards the cap. But the soft cap can be confusing if you're used to the NFL's hard cap.

In this situation the Lakers were over the soft cap so the only had their exceptions to offer free agents. But since they had a trade exception from trading Odom to Dallas they were able to use that in a S&T to offer more money.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Now we will find out if the Suns FO has the smarts to use these assets to move forward wisely. No excuses for Babby or Blanks. They have the assets... CAP space and picks to get it done.

Depends on what you think is wise. If you think a team that may be able to compete for a playoff spot in a couple years is wise, then I think they can do that. If you think laying the ground work for a championship team is wise, then their recent moves and rumored moves wouldn't fit that description imo.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually think the CBA is less complicated than the NFL's since there are rule sets on the type of contracts offered and it all counts towards the cap. But the soft cap can be confusing if you're used to the NFL's hard cap.

In this situation the Lakers were over the soft cap so the only had their exceptions to offer free agents. But since they had a trade exception from trading Odom to Dallas they were able to use that in a S&T to offer more money.

Thank you. I missed that the Lakers had a trade exception and I was trying to figure out how they got it done without sending a player(s) back.

HooverDam

Reaction score
If you're happy about this deal, you're not a long-time Suns fan. You don't even know what it means to be a long-time Suns fan.

The fact that the picks won't amount to anything (which I promise, they won't) is not even factored into my hate.

If you're even looking at the logic of the deal, you not only don't understand the Suns, you don't understand sports.

If you're a long time Suns fan you know Connie Hawkins ended up playing in LA and no one really cares. Nash's best years were in Phx and even if he wins a title I'm LA he will be thought of as a Sun.

Is it going to be awful seeing him in LA? Sure. But the Sums got great value here.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thank you. I missed that the Lakers had a trade exception and I was trying to figure out how they got it done without sending a player(s) back.

Somewhat ironic. Nash was Dallas' backup plan yet that Odom trade last year gave the Lakers a chance to get Nash.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Nash for 4 Alando Tucker's. Interesting.

Nash in a Lakers uniform. Unacceptable.

Sarver owning the Suns. The worst thing to happen to Phoenix sports since the coin flip.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Nash for 4 Alando Tucker's. Interesting.

Nash in a Lakers uniform. Unacceptable.

Sarver owning the Suns. The worst thing to happen to Phoenix sports since the coin flip.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

So fans bitch that we didn't trade to get extra picks in this years draft (or any draft for that matter). They bitch that this team is going nowhere and should let Nash go. They bitch that they do what they were bitching about and still bitch anyways

A lot of Suns fans have officially gone EMO

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So fans bitch that we didn't trade to get extra picks in this years draft (or any draft for that matter). They bitch that this team is going nowhere and should let Nash go. They bitch that they do what they were bitching about and still bitch anyways

A lot of Suns fans have officially gone EMO

You cant trade him to the Lakers... there has to be some perspective here. Its like your girlfriend of 5 years leaving you for the guy who she met while he was kicking your teeth in.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i understand why the Suns did what they did, but it's not going to make me feel any less disgusted when I see Nash in a Lakers uniform.

knowing we were going to suck royally next year, at least I was looking forward to watching Nash play with someone else who had a shot at winning... but not with the Lakers. never with the Lakers.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
You cant trade him to the Lakers... there has to be some perspective here. Its like your girlfriend of 5 years leaving you for the guy who she met while he was kicking your teeth in.

No here's perspective: We aren't likely to be winning anything for the next 3 years, we got 4 draft picks for a 38 year old PG on his last legs that could have left for nothing, we now have flexibility to do what we need to do to rebuild

The future of the Suns is what should be the priority not view of a rivalry.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No here's perspective: We aren't likely to be winning anything for the next 3 years, we got 4 draft picks for a 38 year old PG on his last legs that could have left for nothing, we now have flexibility to do what we need to do to rebuild

The future of the Suns is what should be the priority not view of a rivalry.
+1

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison