My WNBA ALL-Decade Team

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In honor of the WNBA's 10th season, wnba.com is having fans vote for their top 10 players of the past 10 years. Click here to vote.

My top 5 of the past 10 years:

1. Sheryl Swoopes (F/G) - She's a two time MVP, and one of the best defensive players in the WNBA. As a young girl, I loved watching her play. I even bought her shoes. To me, she he was like the female version of Michael Jordan. One of my first role models in women's basketball.

2. Lisa Leslie (C) - One of the most recognized female basketball players. First player to dunk in WNBA history. First in wnba history to score 3,000 points, has one an MVP and a WNBA title.

3. Tina Thompson (F) - This is one player who I wish was still playing. Dominate force under the paint, averaging about 7 rebounds and 15 points a game. She's got a few WNBA championships under her belt.

4. Chamique Holdsclaw (F) - When she was drafted in '99 out of Tennessee, it was exactly what the WNBA needed. There was this buzz about her. She averaged 17 and 8 a night her rookie season on her way to winning rookie of the year. Her 2003 season, by far, was her best, averaging 20 and 11 a night. She's slowed down a bit, but she still brought so much to the WNBA.

5. Sue Bird (G) - Another great Connecticut product (along with Turasi ). Averages 12 points, 6 assists and 3 rebs a night. Very solid all-around player.

Honorable Mentions: Jennifer Gillom, Cynthia Cooper, Diana Turasi, Yolanda Griffith, Ticha Penicheiro, Lauren Jackson, Tamika Catchings, Dawn Staley

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:cheers: to Kate's first thread as a moderator.

YOU ROCK KATE!!!

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Judging by my interviews with these players last season....

1. Sheryl Swoopes (F/G) - very nice.

2. Lisa Leslie (C) - didn't care for her at all

3. Tina Thompson (F) - very nice

4. Chamique Holdsclaw (F) - can't remember :)

5. Sue Bird (G) - Not a happy person

Honorable Mentions: Jennifer Gillom (out of league), Cynthia Cooper (out of league), Diana Turasi (the best interview, so nice), Yolanda Griffith (pain in the butt, but nice - in her own way), Ticha Penicheiro (respectful), Lauren Jackson (so-so), Tamika Catchings (awesome), Dawn Staley (drawing a blank).

So I'd vote for:

Taurasi
Swoopes
Yo
Tamika
Ticha

And yes, I realize how they interview has nothing to do with the poll :)

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OKay the results are in! Here are the WNBA's All-Decade team, voted in by the fans/coaches/etc:

Sue Bird - Seattle Storm (2002-Current)
Tamika Catchings - Indiana Fever (2001-Current)
Cynthia Cooper* - Houston Comets (1997-2000, 2003)
Yolanda Griffith - Sacramento Monarchs (1999-Current)
Lauren Jackson - Seattle Storm (2001-Current)
Lisa Leslie - Los Angeles Sparks (1997-Current)
Katie Smith - Detroit Shock (2005-Current) Minnesota Lynx (1999-2005)
Dawn Staley - Houston Comets (2005-Current) Charlotte Sting (1999-2005)
Sheryl Swoopes - Houston Comets (1997-Current)
Tina Thompson - Houston Comets (1997-Current)
My list is pretty close to what the fans picked, although I really thought Chamique Holdsclaw would make it.

Here are the Honorable Mentions (including our own Diana Taurasi):

Ruthie Bolton* - Sacramento Monarchs (1997-2004)
Chamique Holdsclaw - Los Angeles Sparks (2005-Current) Washington Mystics (1999-2004)
Ticha Penicheiro - Sacramento Monarchs (1998-Current)
Diana Taurasi - Phoenix Mercury (2004-Current)
Teresa Weatherspoon* - Los Angeles Sparks (2004) New York Liberty (1997-2003)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard