My new cable modem rules!

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I replaced the one I bought from Cox because it was constantly having "low connectivity" and cox said it was on my end.

Anyway I bought a Motorola S85101 Surfboard modem and it kicks ass.

It was $79.99 but came with a $20.00 rebate.

So far it was a good decision.

Cox sucks!

My question:

What is the difference between using the ethernet hook up vs using a usb port?

Is one faster? Cox said the usb port is harder to hook up but I don't care about that if it is faster.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cox sucks!

My question:

Is one faster? Cox said the usb port is harder to hook up but I don't care about that if it is faster.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Couldn't disagree with you more on the "Cox sucks!" comment. Yeah, their analog cable TV does suck, but their internet service is awesome with quick customer support and little downtime.

I would think that the ethernet connection would be faster since it is more of a native connection. I don't do the USB since I have a dinosaur computer that is USB 1.0 instead of 2.0 or whatever it is now.

Just try both methods and take a speed test for each one. I get 8.5 mbps on my surfboard 5120.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I replaced the one I bought from Cox because it was constantly having "low connectivity" and cox said it was on my end.

Anyway I bought a Motorola S85101 Surfboard modem and it kicks ass.

It was $79.99 but came with a $20.00 rebate.

So far it was a good decision.

Cox sucks!

My question:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Hey KoC - is that Mr. Fat Jack from Splash! in your avatar?? God I loved that movie...

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Depends
USB 1.0 only has a transfer speed of 12Mbps
USB 2.0 is up to 480Mbps
10/100 NIC well moves at 100Mbps

Your modem will only move about 30Mbps Up/Down so if you have a USB 2.0 or 100 Mbs Nic you will get the same performace. But I would always go with the NIC vs USB.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this really matter in the long run? Im pissing all over KoC's computer once I move in..

Aint nothing but a Gee thang baby..

OP
OP
KingofCards

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Test:

My download speed to Seattle was 7077kbps my up load speed to Seattle was 529kbps

What did you guys get?

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
My question:

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Ethernet can support a way higher transfer rate than USB, doesn't need drivers, works on all computers, and more importantly is a gazillion times more reliable and stable.

Choose USB. :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ethernet can support a way higher transfer rate than USB, doesn't need drivers, works on all computers, and more importantly is a gazillion times more reliable and stable.

Choose USB. :)

Um, both ethernet cards, and USB ports need drivers.

:confused:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a very similar experience. I had the one COX gave me and experienced lag spikes, latency etc.... it was horrible. I complained and complained. Finally they came out and they replaced mine for free with a Moto Surf Board. Since then, my connection has rocked.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have said "contrary to an Usb cable modem, an ethernet cable modem doesn't need drivers" but I felt it was too long.

I gotcha. Makes sense now.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You really won't notice a difference between USB and Ethernet.... however USB has more limitations.

First, your USB cable can only be 5 meters or less or it won't transfer data, an Ethernet connection go go 100 meters before you need a repeater. 5 meters is fine for most people but my router is in a central closet in my upstairs master bedroom.

Second, all of your USB devices share bandwidth, so it's true that USB transfers at 480 mbps, you have to share that with your USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB printer, and anything else that is USB.

Third, you can't route off USB.... if you want more than 1 computer to access the internet you need to use Ethernet.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cox originally installed the Moto Surfboard in our new house about a year and a half ago.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cox originally installed the Moto Surfboard in our new house about a year and a half ago.

Year and a half ago? Man, they have not updated your network to the latest and greatest yet is sounds like. My Moto Surfboard was probably the same model as yours. They upgraded the network in our area and I couldn't use that one anymore.

That's when they gave me the problematic generic one. Then ended up coming out and giving me Moto's latest and greatest when I complained.

OP
OP
KingofCards

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I had this old one I bought from them. Sounds like I could have had them replace it for free.

Oh shucks!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingman