My head is about to explode!

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
If I was Ted Kaczynski, I'd start sending mail-bombs to Sony...

Yesterday was the start of week three of no PS3...3 days waiting for the shipping box to send it to them, 3 days for the return trip to the repair center, and now they've had for 8 days while the verify that it meets the limited warranty guidelines.

Now, I receive this email:

Dear PlayStation® Owner,

Sony Computer Entertainment America,Inc. (SCEA) has received your system at our service facility. Turn around time for most products are 7 to 10 business days. Please note, turn around times may vary depending on your product, the type of service being done and any courier impacts.

You can check the status of your service request 24 hours a day on the Web at: http://www.us.playstation.com/repairstatus.aspx or through our automated phone system at 800-345-SONY (7669).

Your Service Request number is: *-**********

Sincerely,

Consumer Services
Sony Computer Entertainment America

7 to 10 more days?

err...I mean 7 to 10 "business days"...they mean 9 to 14 more "real days"?

Oh, and I love the part about how I can check on my service order status 24 hours a day...been checking that at least once a day since they received the unit...take a guess as to what it's status has been the entire time?

You must be registered for see images attach

Fellow PS3 owners...I hope, and pray, that you never have a system failure...except for Gee...he deserves this kind of treatment!

outoftheashes

Registered
Reaction score
I did have a harware failure but was lucky to have shelled out the extra skrilla for a protection plan at best buy. The replaced my 40g with an 80g and sent me on my way. I did so because I heard these stories. Hopefully others will save themselves the hassle.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to rub anything in but remember on that other thread that XBOX 360 (old model) that I had to ship to Microsoft? Shipped it on a Friday and had it back by the next Friday. Also, I checked the serial numbers and it is in fact my XBOX 360 they fixed and shipped back. It was not a refurbished one they sent me back.

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
I did have a harware failure but was lucky to have shelled out the extra skrilla for a protection plan at best buy. The replaced my 40g with an 80g and sent me on my way. I did so because I heard these stories. Hopefully others will save themselves the hassle.

We got our PS3 at Kmart (yeah layaway!) and we did indeed get the two year Smart Plan protection plan.

It was Christmas time, and I didn't look too deeply into it, figuring it was "fire and forget" much like the Best Buy plan.

It is, however, nothing more than an extension of the same type of warranty work done by Sony itself, and it doesn't kick in until after the manufacturer warranty expires.

By the way, it's been eight days now (six business days) since I received the confirmation email that the repair center had received my console.

Tick, tock...tick, tock...

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
My PS3 arrived this morning via UPS. My console must have flown under the radar or something, no one seems to have any record of it ever having been there...not customer service, nor their repair center. There isn't even an explanation of what work was done on the repair order paperwork (which they tell me to save).

But, it is my console (serial numbers match) and it works!

Perhaps this is how Sony keeps their failure rate so low. :shrug:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting theory. Maybe. Also, in terms of Walmart plan to the Best Buy plan...they don't compare. The Walmart plan is a "Repair" plan where they will attempt to fix it themselves and if they can't they will replace it and your right it doesn't kick in until the manufacturer warranty has expired.

The Best Buy one is a "Replacement Plan". If your item fails you simply return it to the store and get a new one. However, they changed it now for the XBOX 360 in relation to the 3 Red lights. Because MS extended the coverage for the 3 Red light thing, now Best Buy has in their warranty that they will cover all failures except the 3 Red light issue during the MS warranty period. They will only take 3 Red light 360's after the MS warranty is expired. However, they will still take all other failures.

Unfortunately, the old one I shipped was bought at Walmart. I did purchase their replacement warranty thinking it was like Best Buys. They told me it would be 8-10 weeks for possible repair. That is "possible" repair. That at the end of that time if it could not be fixed they would send me a gift card for that value of the item blah blah. It would have been such a hassle if I had to use it but I found out the 360 will still covered via MS. If I had know what Walmarts "plan" was like, I never would have purchased it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort