My Biggest Offseason Fears

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
  1. The Cards don’t sign or draft an impact WR.
  2. The Cards don’t sign a quality, veteran CB.
  3. The Cards don’t re-sign their punter.
  4. The Cards don’t get a top DL anchor.
  5. The Cards trade up and lose picks.
  6. The Cards don’t get a second WR.
  7. The Cards don’t get Murray at least 2 deep weapons.
  8. The Cards don’t let Higgins become the second receiving TE.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think the only one I'm worried about on your list is not getting a second WR. I feel like they will draft a #1, then rely on Brown/Dortch/Wilson to fill out the top 4. Just my gut feeling. Everything else on your list I'm not concerned they will fail...could they fail? Yes, but I truly believe it won't be due to lack of effort and focus by Monti.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
a lot of your concerns are surrounding Murray with more talent and those concerns are valid af - but i'd also add some protection in there

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ahhh, the list has shrunk a bit since last year:)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
4-13 or 3-5? Coming back from an injury and to a dilapidated roster aside from McBride and Conner

And that punter is pretty damn good and field position pretty damn important

I think if you're depending on that 3-5 record as being predictive you're in for an unpleasant surprise next season. Every team is injured at the end of the season.

The difference between the worst punter in the NFL and the best is MARGINAL. In fact, I'd say that the difference between the best punter in the NFL and the 10th guy teams call when they need an injury replacement isn't really enough to matter.

The difference between Blake Gillikin, who people are very concerned about losing, and Nolan Cooney, whose name I literally wrote for the first time ever on this board, was 2.6 net yards per punt.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I think if you're depending on that 3-5 record as being predictive you're in for an unpleasant surprise next season. Every team is injured at the end of the season.

The difference between the worst punter in the NFL and the best is MARGINAL. In fact, I'd say that the difference between the best punter in the NFL and the 10th guy teams call when they need an injury replacement isn't really enough to matter.

The difference between Blake Gillikin, who people are very concerned about losing, and Nolan Cooney, whose name I literally wrote for the first time ever on this board, was 2.6 net yards per punt.
Are we talking average yard per punt or placement?

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Net yards per punt.
Well that's a frostart right there - some punts are going to be in the wind vs against the wind indoor /outdoor some punts are going to be on short fields aka pin jobs that inadequately reflect poorly on net yards - if we're going to gage talent it can't be by distance alone - can it?

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Well that's a frostart right there - some punts are going to be in the wind vs against the wind indoor /outdoor some punts are going to be on short fields aka pin jobs that inadequately reflect poorly on net yards - if we're going to gage talent it can't be by distance alone - can it?
Ball placement and hangtime are much better indicators of punter skills.
But hangtime usually affects net yardage

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Well that's a frostart right there - some punts are going to be in the wind vs against the wind - some punts are going to be on short fields aka pin jobs that inadequately reflect poorly on net yards - if we're going to gage talent it can't be by distance alone - can it?
As I said, I don't think the gradations between talent level of NFL-quality punters matters much. All of that stuff comes out in the wash as you reach big numbers.

Otherwise you're just going on eye test or whatever. Again, I don't care who the punter for the Arizona Cardinals is as long as he doesn't fumble the snap, get blocked more than average, and positions the ball effectively on field goal attempts.

Making the identity of the Arizona Cardinals punter a "fear" of the offseason undercuts how troubled this roster is, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the only one I'm worried about on your list is not getting a second WR. I feel like they will draft a #1, then rely on Brown/Dortch/Wilson to fill out the top 4. Just my gut feeling. Everything else on your list I'm not concerned they will fail...could they fail? Yes, but I truly believe it won't be due to lack of effort and focus by Monti.
I agree100%. I’m kind of positive because of Wilson’s late but limited success will be enough to convince MO to simply bring Brown back and then stand pat.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I said, I don't think the gradations between talent level of NFL-quality punters matters much. All of that stuff comes out in the wash as you reach big numbers.

Otherwise you're just going on eye test or whatever. Again, I don't care who the punter for the Arizona Cardinals is as long as he doesn't fumble the snap, get blocked more than average, and positions the ball effectively on field goal attempts.

Making the identity of the Arizona Cardinals punter a "fear" of the offseason undercuts how troubled this roster is, especially on the defensive side of the ball.
Sign the guy and forget about it for the next 3-4 years.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

Word but he was pretty good as it relates to field goals as well

Reactions: PJ1

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Not only do I consider the Cardinals 3-5 for the season - I also contest we were nearly .500 with Kyler back considering we lost to Seattle by 1 pts with Prater (thankfully) bricking twice at the end - and Monti hasn't really started yet - so yeah I'm a little optimistic about improvement taking place in 2024 and I called the tank waaaaaaayyyy early for 2023

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't you have to list OT and LG on the list.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Doesn't 1+6=7 ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard