MY big, huge, 1st Round Mock Draft...

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Def Rank Points Only
Off Rank Points Only
1. St Louis Rams (1-15): Def Rank: 31 Off Rank: 32
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: RB, OT, CB,DE, DE, OT
#1 Picks Since 2004: QB, QB,DE, QB, OT, QB Best Pick:Mario Williams Worst Pick: JaMarcus Russell
My Selection:Sam Bradford QB
History Says: QB (NFL) D or O line (Rams)9
Why this pick makes sense: The Rams are like most teams that draft #1 overall, desperate and rebuilding. They scored an average of 10.9 points last year and dumped their starting QB last week. Bradford has the ability to be a good QB in the NFL. The Rams need to address a lot of positions, but need to jumpstart the offense.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: The Rams are struggling on the defensive side of the ball. Lauranitis was an excellent pick up last year and Jake Long is starting to come along, but they need to get these guys some help and take some pressure off them and the corners. There is absolutely no help up the middle and Nadamukong Suh would make sense here. Drafting a QB#1 overall is often very risky. QB’s taken since 2004 #1 overall, Eli Manning, Alex Smith, JaMarcus Russell, and Matthew Stafford.

2. Detroit Lions (2-14): Def Rank:32 Off Rank: 27
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: WR, RB*, WR, OLB, WR, OT, QB *=Two 1st Round Picks in 2004
#2 Picks Since 2004: OT, RB, RB, WR, DE, OT Best Pick: Calvin Johnson Worst Pick: Robert Gallery
My Selection: Russell Okung OT
History Says: RB or OT (NFL) Offense (Lions)
Why This Pick Makes Sense: The Lions drafted their “franchise” QB last year and need a true “franchise” LT to protect their investment. The Lions are also suffering in their run game ranking 24th in the league rushing the ball. They need someone to anchor their line for years to come. Okung can be that guy.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: The Lions rank dead last on defense and need a solid guy on defense to build around.

3. Tampa Bay Bucaneers (3-13): Def Rank: 27 Off Rank 30
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: WR, RB, OG, DE, CB, QB
#3 Picks 2004-2009: WR, WR, QB, OT, QB, DE Best Pick Larry Fitzgerald Worst Pick:Tyson Jackson
My Selection: Ndamukong Suh DT
History Says: WR, or QB (NFL) Offense (Tampa Bay)
Why this pick makes sense: Tampa needs to anchor their defensive lineup the middle. Especially in the NFC South where they see Jonathan Stewart/DeAngelo Williams, Pierre Thomas/Reggie Bush and Michael Turner/Jurious Norwood twice a year.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: The Bucs are in the bottom half of rushing and passing in the league. Dez Bryant and CJ Spiller would be huge reaches here, but Bruce Campbell may not be all that bad of a selection here to help out the Oline.

4. Washington Redskins (4-12) Def Rank:18 Off Rank: 26
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: FS, CB, QB*, NP**, SS, NP**, DE *=Two 1st round Picks **=No 1st round picks
#4 Picks 2004-2009: QB, RB, OT, DE, RB, LB Best Pick: Phillip Rivers Worst Pick:Cedric Benson
My Selection: Jimmy Clauson QB
History Says: RB (NFL) DB (Washington)
Why this pick makes sense: The Redskins are unstable at the QB position and are looking for the next franchise QB.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: Chris Samuels retired and the Redskins need an OT, but Bruce Campbell, Bryan Bugala and Trent Williams will be major reaches here.

5. Kansas City Chiefs (4-12) Def Rank:29 Off Rank: 23
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: NP**, OLB, DE, WR, DT, DE **=No 1st Round picks
#5 Picks 2004-2009: FS, RB, OLB, OT, DT, QB Best Pick: Sean Taylor Worst Pick: Levi Brown
My Selection: Eric Berry S
History Says: “Skill Position” (NFL) LB/DE (Kansas City)
Why This Pick Makes Sense: The Chief’s starting safeties are both older. In fact they are over 30. This pick not only fills a need but is also BPA.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: The Chiefs still need LB help and Rolando McClain would make an excellent choice to fit their 3-4 D. The Chiefs also need get a franchise LT at some point as well. The Cheifs also need to bolster their Oline and either Campbell or Bryan Bulaga would make sense here.

6. Seattle Seahawks (5-11) Def Rank:26 Off Rank: 25
1st Round Picks2004-2009: DT, C, CB, NP**, DE, LB
#6 Picks 2004-2009: TE, CB, TE, SS, LB, OT Best Pick: LaRon Landry Worst Pick: Pacman Jones
My Selection: Gerald McCoy DT
History Says: TE or DB (NFL) Dline (Seattle)
Why this pick makes sense: The Seahawks need help on their D line. They give up over 110 yards RPG, and rank 30th in pass yards. They need to get some pressure off of the back half of the D.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense:
The Seahawks could use a tackle, but honestly if McCoy falls this far there is nothing that WON’T make sense about this pick.

7. Cleveland Browns (5-11) Def Rank:22 Off Rank:29
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: TE, WR, OLB, OT, QB*, LB, C
#7 Picks 2004-2009: WR, WR, SS, RB, DT, WR Best Pick:Adrian Peterson Worst Pick: Troy Williamson
My Selection: Joe Hayden CB
History Says: WR (NFL) Dline or Oline (Cleveland)
Why this pick makes sense: Joe Hayden is the best CB in the draft and the Browns need to fill a need at the other CB position opposite of Eric Wright.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: The Browns are set at OT, but need a QB, RB, and WR to help an offense that ranks 32 in yards gained in the NFL. Dez Bryant could also make sense here.

8.Oakland Raiders(5-11) Def Rank:23 Off Rank:31
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: OT, CB, SS, QB, RB, WR
#8 Picks 2004-2009: CB, CB, SS, DE, DE, OT Best Pick: Antrel Rolle Worst Pick: Donte Whitner
My Selection: Bruce Campbell OT
History Says: DB (NFL) Offense (Oakland)
Why this pick makes sense: Oakland needs an OT and Campbell is fast for an Olineman and has tremendous upside.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: A poor drafting record has left Oakland with many holes. They need a QB, WR, and DE. I am actually half expecting Tim Tebow to be the pick here based on the Raiders selections this past decade.

9. Buffalo Bills (6-10) Def Rank: 16 Off Rank: 28
1st Round Picks 2004-2009:WR, QB*, NP**, SS, DT*, RB, CB, DE, C* *=Two 1st Rd Picks **NP=No 1st Rd pk
#9 Pick 2004-2009: WR, CB, OLB, WR, OLB, DT Best Pick: Keith Rivers Worst Pick: Reggie Williams
My Selection: Trent Williams OT
History Says: WR or LB (NFL) ??? (Bills)
Why this pick makes sense: The Bills are in dire need of an Olineman. They ranked 30th in pass yards and 16th in rushing yards. Williams has the ability to step in and play either RT or LT.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: Buffalo needs a QB, LB, and RB. Getting a solid OLB like Sergio Kindle coulkd make this one of the better defenses in the AFC East.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars (7-9) Def Rank: 24 Off Rank: 24
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: WR, WR, TE, FS, DE, OT
#10 Picks 2004-2009: CB, WR, QB, DT, ILB, WR Best Pick: Jerod Mayo/Dunta Robinson Worst Pick: Mike Williams
My Selection: Jason Pierre- Paul DE
History Says: WR (NFL) WR(JAX)
Why this pick makes sense: The Jags have tried to find their DE to stop Peyton Manning and the ariel assault. Just like every other team in the AFC South that stockpiled weapons on their D to counter the Colts offense. They reached big time for Derrick Harvey a couple years ago and it didn’t work out. They still have a hole at DE. This may be a little bit of a reach by Pierre-Paul has tremendous upside, plus he played ball in Florida which should help to draw some fans in.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: Safety still remains a big need for Jacksonville and selecting Taylor Mays here may help allieviate some of the pressure off the D by putting him in a hybrid LB/S role.

11. Denver Broncos(8-8) Def Rank: 12 Off Rank: 20
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: OLB, NP**, QB, DE, OT, RB, LB* *=Two 1st rd picks **=No 1st rd picks
#11 Picks 2004-2009: QB, OLB, QB, ILB, CB, DE Best Pick: Patrick Willis Worst Pick: Aaron Maybin
My Selection: Dez Bryant WR
History Says: QB or LB (NFL) Defense (Denver)
Why this pick makes sense: Brandon Marshall may very well be on his way out of Denver and even if he isn’t WR is still a big need for Denver.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: This is where you typically start seeing ILB’s being drafted. McClain is the perfect ILB in a 3-4 system and would be a great addition to Denver. They also need help on the interior of the line and Mike Iupati would fit nicely here as well.

12. Miami Dolphins (7-9) Def Rank: 25 Off Rank: 15
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: OT, RB, DT, WR, OT, DB
#12 Picks 2004-2009: MLB, OLB, DT, RB, OT, RB Best Pick: All since ‘04(Merriman, Moreno, Clady,Lynch, Ngata and Vilma) WOW!
My Selection: Sergio Kindle
History Says: RB/LB (NFL) Oline (Dolphins)
Why this makes sense: The Dolphins have a need for an OLB after Porter’s apparent departure. Parcells will not stand for a D that ranks 25 in points allowed and Kindle makes sense here.
Why this doesn’t make sense: The Dolphins are desperate for a NT and WR. Dan Williams could also make sense here.

13. San Francisco 49ers (8-8) Def Rank: 4 Off Rank: 18
1st Round Picks 2004-2009:WR, QB, TE, OLB*, ILB, OT*, DE, WR *=Two 1st rd picks
#13 Picks 2004-2009: WR, OT, OLB, DT, RB, DE Best Pick:Lee Evans/Jonathan Stewart Worst Pk: Adam Carriker
My Selection: Bryan Bulaga OT
History Says: Dline (NFL) Offense (San Francisco)
Why this pick makes sense: The 49ers need another OT to bookend the other side of Joe Staley.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: The 9ers for the third time in 6 years have two picks in the first round. They have some room to play around. They could really use a corner here though.

14. Seattle Seahawks (5-11) Def Rank:26 Off Rank: 25
1st Round Picks2004-2009: DT, C, CB, NP**, DE, LB
#14 Picks 2004-2009 DT, DB, DT, CB, OT, DB. Best Pick: Darelle Revis Worst Pick: Tommie Harris
My Selection: Anthony Davis OT
History Says: DB (NFL) Dline(Seattle)
Why this pick makes sense: Seattle needs to find a left tackle. They started 4 different LT’s after Walkter Jones’ injury
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: The Seahawks are thin at RB and CJ Spiller could make sense here.

15. New York Giants (8-8) Def Rank:30 Off Rank:8
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: QB, NP**,DE, CB, FS,WR
#15 Picks 2004-2009: WR, OLB, CB, LB, OG,LB Best Pick: Brian Cushing Worst Pick: Tye Hill
My Pick: Rolando McClain ILB
History Says: LB (NFL) Defense(Giants)
Why this pick makes sense: There is a large void at ILB for the Giants after Antonio Pierce left.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: There are alson some concerns at DE for the Giants and a need at DT. Dan Williams or Derrick Morgan could be picked here as well.

16. Tennessee Titans (8-8) Def Rank: 28 Off Rank: 16
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: NP**, CB, QB, FS, RB, WR
#16 Picks 2004-2009: OT, DT, DB, DT, CB, DE Best Pick: DRC Worst Pick: Jason Allen
My Selection: Derrick Morgan DE
History Says: Dline (NFL) Offense (Tennessee)
Why this pick makes sense: There is a glaring hole at DE on Tennessee’s roster after KVB’s departure. They also need someone who can get to Schaub and Manning in that division.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: The Titans also have a need at OLB (Weatherspoon would fit here) or WR.

17. San Francisco 49ers (8-8) Def Rank: 4 Off Rank: 18
1st Round Picks 2004-2009:WR, QB, TE, OLB*, ILB, OT*, DE, WR *=Two 1st rd picks
#17 Picks 2004-2009: LB, LB, LB, DE, OT, QB Best Pick: D.J. Williams Worst Pick: Jarvis Moss
My Selection: Taylor Mays S
History Says LB (NFL) Offense (SF)
Why this pick makes sense: The 9ers need help in the secondary. Mays may not be the best saftey, but he can fit in to SF system and play a S/LB hybrid position much like Thomas Davis did in Carolina his first couple of seasons.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: If the 9ers are looking for a true safety Earl Thomas might be the better choice. The could also take Spiller here to help spell Gore.

18.Pittsburgh Steelers (9-7) Def Rank 13 Off Rank 12
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: QB, TE, WR, LB,RB, DT
#18 Round Picks 2004-2009: DE, DE, LB, CB, QB, LB Best Pick Will Smith Worst Pick Erasmus James
My Selection: Taded to Minnesota Vikings for their #30 and 3rd round pick
Vikings Dan Williams DT
History Says: Dline or LB(NFL) Offense (Pittsburgh)
Why this pick makes sense: The Steelers are going to be forced to do the unimaginable this draft---draft a replacement for their 28 year old two time Super Bowl Champion QB. Pat Williams did consider retirement and may not return after 2010. Williams would be an excellent replacement.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: I’m not sure if the Steelers would panic, and trade away the pick. Even if they did the Vikings have a lot of holes on their D to fill and would they want to give away a pick in the draft?

19. Atlanta Falcons (9-7) Def Rank:14 Off Rank: 13
1st Round Picks 2004-2009:CB, WR, NP**, DE, QB, OT*, DT
#19 Picks 2004-2009: OT, OT, CB, FS, OT, WR Best Pick: Alex Barron Worst Pick: Really isn’t one. All solid starters
My Selection: Brandon Graham DE
History Says: OT(NFL) Dline (Atlanta)
Why this pick makes sense: The Falcons need a DE to bookend their D line.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: The Falcons have a need at OLB and Weatherspoon could be the guy they are looking for. Jerry Hughes is also starting to rocket up the board and would fit Mike Smith’s 4-3 nicely.

20. Houston Texans (9-7) Def Rank:17 Off Rank: 10
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: CB, DT, DE, DT, OT, LB
#20 Picks 2004-2009: DE, DE, DE, CB, CB, TE Best Pick: Tamba Hali Worst Pick:Kenechi Udeze
My Selection CJ Spiller RB
History Says: Dline (NFL) Dline (Houston)
Why this pick makes sense: Spiller is the best RB in the draft and Slaton tailed off last year. They ranked 30th in the rush game and a solid running game could make the Texans the next team to take over the division if the Colts falter.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: The loss of Dunta Robinson leaves a glaring hole at CB.They should be able to pick one up in the second round however. The Texans have had great success drafting D players in their short history.

21. Cincinnati Bengals (10-6) Def Rank: 6 Off Rank: 22
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: RB, LB, CB, CB, OLB, OT
#21 Picks 2004-2009: DT, WR, RB, FS, OT, C Best Pick: Vince Wilfork DT, Worst Pick: Matt Jones WR
My Selection: Earl Thomas S
History Says: Oline (NFL) CB/ LB (Cincinnati)
Why this pick makes sense: The starting safties are 30 and slowing down. Earl Thomas is a player with good range and cover skills.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: The Bengals are still a solid defensive team, and struggle to score points. A lot of that has to do with playing in the brutal AFC North, but they could use some depth on the Oline.

22. New England Patriots (10-6) Def Rank: 5 Off Ranks: 6
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: DT, TE*, OG, RB, DB, ILB, NP *=Two first rd picks
#22 Picks 2004-2009: QB, WR, OLB, QB, RB, WR Best Pick: Worst Pick: Brady Quinn
My Selection: Golden Tate WR
History Says: RB/WR(NFL) ??? (New England)
Why this pick makes sense: This is most likely Randy Moss’ last year in NE. We Welker is likely out for some time and will miss regular season time as well as he recovers.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: he Pats desperately need help at LB. It is known though that Belichick doesn’t spend first round picks on pass rushing LB’s though. They could also target a TE to replace Watson.

23. Green Bay Packers (11-5) Def Rank: 7 Off Rank: 3
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: CB, QB, OLB, , DT, NP, DT, LB* *=Two first round picks
#23 Picks 2004-2009: DT, CB, OG,WR, RB, OT Best Pick: Michael Oher Worst Pick: Marcus Tubbs
My Selection: Charles Brown OT
History Says: Oline (NFL) LB (Green Bay)
Why this pick makes sense: Both of the Packers starting OT’s are in their mid thrities and Chad Clifton has had injury problems.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: There are not many holes to fill on this team, but the Packers could spend this pick on a RB to spell Ryan Grant, or use this pick to add depth at CB.

24. Philadelphia Eagles (11-5) Def Rank:19 Off Rank:5
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: OT, DT, DT, NP, NP, WR
#24 Picks 2004-2009: RB, QB, CB, DB, RB, DT Worst Pick: Jerry Peria This pick has been a gold mine producing Stephen Jackson, Aaron Rodgers, Brandon Merriweather and Chris Johnson
My Selection: Sean Weatherspoon OLB
History Says: DB(NFL) Dline (Philadelphia)
Why this pick makes sense: The Eagles lack of first round picks have left them vunerable at LB. Their recent release of Will Witherspoon leaves them especially thin at this position.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: The Eagles need to get more pressure on opposing QB’s and a DE could fit the bill here, but they really can’t go wrong with Weatherspoon.

25. Baltimore Ravens (9-7) Def Rank: 3 Off Rank: 9
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: NP, WR, DT, OG, QB, OT
#25 Picks 2004-2009: CB, QB, WR, MLB, CB, DB Best Pick:Jon Beason Worst Pick: Jason Campbell
My Selection: Jermaine Gresham TE
History Says: DB (NFL) Oline (Baltimore)
Why this pick make sense: If Gresham falls this far, look for Baltimore to turn their card in quickly. He is an instant upgrade over Todd Heap.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: It really does make sense if Gresham is there. The Ravens have their franchise DT, RB, QB and the trade for Q eliminated a need for a WR.

26. Arizona Cardinals (10-6) Def Rank:15 Off Rank:11
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: WR, CB, QB, OT, CB, RB
#26 Picks: RB, C, DT, OLB, OT, LB Best Pick: Clay Matthews Worst Pick: John McCargo
My Selection: Brian Price DT
History Says:LB(NFL) CB (Arizona)
Why this pick makes sense: Every year it seems like the Cardinals are looking to fill holes at the same position Oline, Dline, CB and RB. They could go corner here but they need a DT to disrupt things to get more production out of the LBers. I think the Cards get Porter and Foote to sign here, if not then I think Jerry Hughes is the pick.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: The Cards still have holes at the TE and CB position. Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourty, Patrick Robinson, and Rob Gronkowski could all fit here.

27. Dallas Cowboys (11-5) Def Rank: 2 Off Rank:14
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: NP, OLB, DE*, LB, OLB, RB, CB, NP*
#27 Picks 2004-2009: OLB, WR, RB, WR, CB, RB Best Pick: DeAngelo Williams Worst Pick: Jason Babin
My Selection: Vladimir Ducasse OT
History Says: WR/RB (NFL) LB(Dallas)
Why this pick makes sense: This may seem like a reach for some, but Dallas needs a LT in the worst way. Ducasse had a good Senior Bowl and combine. Could also slide over to the guard position if he doesn’t work out at T. Good run blocker and good in pass protection.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: Would the Cowboys want to take such a high gamble on a critical part of the Oline? There are also needs at CB and WR isn’t working out like they hoped it would.

28 San Diego Chargers (13-3) Def Rank:11 Off Rank:4
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: QB, DE, OLB*, CB, WR, CB, DE *=Two 1st round picks
#28 Picks 2004-2009: CB, DE, TE, OT, DE, C Best Pick: Chris Gamble Worst Pick: Marcedes Lewis
My Selection: Ryan Matthews RB
History Says: DE/CB(NFL) Dline or Oline (San Diego)
Why this pick makes sense: The Chargers are about to lost LT and Sproles, which means Michael Bennett is the only RB right now. Matthews is the second best RB in the draft and the best at catching the ball out of the backfield, which San Diego loves.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: The Chargers also to rplace their NT and find a servicable DE. Jerry Hughes or Jared Oldrick would be great pickups here.

29. New York Jets (9-7) Def Rank: Off Rank: 17
1st Round Picks 2004-2009:MLB,NP, OT,C*, CB, LB, TE*,QB *=Two 1st rd picks
#29 Picks 2004-2009: WR, DB, C, OG, DE, WR Best Pick:Nick Mangold/Ben Grubbs Worst Pick: Kentwan Balmer
My Selection:Arrelious Benn WR
History Says: WR/Oline (NFL) Defense (Jets)
Why this pick makes sense: The Jets need to start building some weapons around Sanchez. They spent built up the D side.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: Despite their #1 defense the Jets could still use some help at DE and OLB.

30. Minnesota Vikings (12-4) Def Rank: 11 Off Rank:2
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: DE, WR, DE*,LB, RB, NP, WR
#30 Picks 2004-2009:RB, TE, WR, RB, TE, WR Best Pick: Joseph Addai Work Pick: Craig Williams
My Selection: Pittsburgh Steelers via Trade
Steelers Donald Butler ILB
Why this pick makes sense: The Steelers are thin at ILB and need get someone tocompliment James Ferroir. Lawrence Timmons has not panned out and they need help inside.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: I think PIT trades this pick to add a pick to the draft to get their QB. I think they SERIOUSLY consider a LB here, but McCoy, Pike and LeFevour are serious reahces at this point. They get their QB in the second round.

31. Indianapolis Colts (14-2) Def Rank: 8 Off Rank: 7
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: NP,DB,RB,WR,NP,RB
#31 Picks 2004-2009: WR, DT, CB, TE, FS, RB Best Pick: Greg Olsen Worst Pick: Rashaun Woods
My Pick: Jared Oldrick
History Says: “Skill Position” (NFL) Offense (Indianapolis)
Why this pick makes sense: There is a noticable hole at DT. The Colts need to shore this area up. Although Oldrick would fit nicely as a DE in the 3-4, he would make a nice DT for someone in the 4-3.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: There are a lot of positions on defense that this team needs to fill. Most notable an ILB behind Brackett. With Sean Lee and Brandon Spikes still available they could go with one of those players.

32. New Orleans Saints (13-3) Def Rank: 20 Off Rank: 1
1st Round Picks 2004-2009: DE, OT, RB,WR, DT, DB
#32 Picks 2004-2009: TE, OG, DE, WR, NP, DT Best Pick: Logan Mankins Worst Pick: Ziggy Hood
My Selection: Carlos Dunlap DE
History Says: Dline (NFL) Dline (New Orleans)
Why this pick makes sense: The Saints need help at DE. There are some questions about his intensity, and motor, but the upside is great. He could be a disruptive force on the Dline.
Why this pick doesn’t make sense: The Saints have already had their fair share of busts in the first round. Dunlap comes with significant risk and the Saints needs help on D and may want to take a flyer on Ricky Sapp or Eric Norwood.

Last edited:

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I would appreciate it if you put a little effort into your mock next time.

Slacker.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I was pretty good with this draft, but there are some things that I am a bit skeptical with...

1-McCoy doesn't fall to 6. It just won't happen.

2-I can't see the Jags, who have invested multiple 1st round picks at DE & signed Aaron Kampman, taking a DE in the first round. They have too many other needs.

3-Minnesota will not trade up in a deep draft, unless Clausen or Bradford falls far enough. If not, they will possibly trade back or just wait to see who falls to them.

4-Kyle Wilson or Earl Thomas will be a Texan if they have not already been picked. RB is a luxury pick that this team can't afford.

5-The Patriots will not pass on Jermaine Gresham for Golden Tate.

6-I can't see the Cardinals taking a 3T defensive tackle in the first round. If anything it will be a NT, but if Kyle Wilson is on the board, he probably is the best player and at a definite position of need. We could also trade back if we don't think to improve our cornerback depth.

7-I understand that RB is the Charges biggest need, but in a draft that doesn't feature many elite guys at RB, if it is not CJ Spiller, then I see them taking a defensive player. Too much 2nd and 3rd round depth at RB.

All in all, pretty decent mock draft with good logic behind the picks.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I was pretty good with this draft, but there are some things that I am a bit skeptical with...

1-McCoy doesn't fall to 6. It just won't happen.

2-I can't see the Jags, who have invested multiple 1st round picks at DE & signed Aaron Kampman, taking a DE in the first round. They have too many other needs.

3-Minnesota will not trade up in a deep draft, unless Clausen or Bradford falls far enough. If not, they will possibly trade back or just wait to see who falls to them.

4-Kyle Wilson or Earl Thomas will be a Texan if they have not already been picked. RB is a luxury pick that this team can't afford.

5-The Patriots will not pass on Jermaine Gresham for Golden Tate.

6-I can't see the Cardinals taking a 3T defensive tackle in the first round. If anything it will be a NT, but if Kyle Wilson is on the board, he probably is the best player and at a definite position of need. We could also trade back if we don't think to improve our cornerback depth.

7-I understand that RB is the Charges biggest need, but in a draft that doesn't feature many elite guys at RB, if it is not CJ Spiller, then I see them taking a defensive player. Too much 2nd and 3rd round depth at RB.

All in all, pretty decent mock draft with good logic behind the picks.

I agree with a ton of this. This was a good mock draft, but I wish that people would put players' colleges on their mocks so I don't have to rely only on names/positions.

With Darnell Dockett, Calais Campbell, Alan Branch and Kenny Iwebema already solid contributors or better at DE, it doesn't make any sense to draft another 3-4 DE.

I agree that Kyle Wilson might be the best value there, but considering the run on DTs, I'd rather see the Cards take Terrance Cody at that position. I'm starting to believe in him. I can't see 7 OTs going off the board in the first round in this draft.

Finally, it's impossible to say whether the Steelers have depth at ILB or not. Right now, they have a guy who was NFL Defensive Player of the Year 12 months ago and a 1st-round pick entering his prime. It doesn't seem like they have much behind those guys, but they seem to pull LBs out of nowhere every single season.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My preference with Kyle Wilson over Terrance Cody is that he can contribute in the kick/punt return game, compete for the 3rd CB spot, and gives us flexability at cornerback next year when McFadden's contract is up. Yes Cody could provide at presence in the middle of our 3-4, but I don't know that ti will mean as much as people think. Green Bay didn't almost beat us because they ran all over us. New Orleans didn't pound us because they solved our 3-4 scheme. Dallas, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Green Bay & New Orleans are all teams that tend to spread out the field which neutralizes a 3-4 NT, because he doesn't fit on the field. A player like Kyle Wilson or Earl Thomas would have more of an impact in these situations than Terrance Cody would, and this is where we struggled the most last year.

I am not implying that a NT is not a need. I just question whether Cody, who comes with other risks, is really a better value than one of these top CB's or top ILB's in the first round.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My preference with Kyle Wilson over Terrance Cody is that he can contribute in the kick/punt return game, compete for the 3rd CB spot, and gives us flexability at cornerback next year when McFadden's contract is up. Yes Cody could provide at presence in the middle of our 3-4, but I don't know that ti will mean as much as people think. Green Bay didn't almost beat us because they ran all over us. New Orleans didn't pound us because they solved our 3-4 scheme. Dallas, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Green Bay & New Orleans are all teams that tend to spread out the field which neutralizes a 3-4 NT, because he doesn't fit on the field. A player like Kyle Wilson or Earl Thomas would have more of an impact in these situations than Terrance Cody would, and this is where we struggled the most last year.

I am not implying that a NT is not a need. I just question whether Cody, who comes with other risks, is really a better value than one of these top CB's or top ILB's in the first round.

I think that Earl Thomas would be BPA in that situation. Honestly, I think that Kyle Wilson would be, also. I guess my philosophy is that you design your team to win the division. Most of the time, you're only going to see Philly, Green Bay, or New Orleans once: in the playoffs. And the playoffs are always going to be a toss up that have less to do with who has the better scheme or personnel than who has the healthiest team come early January.

But you're going to see the teams in your division twice a year forever. In our division we have two teams with unsettled QB situations but Pro Bowl running backs--Pro Bowl running backs who specialize in running between the tackles. The Cards might have had a first-round bye if they'd been able to keep Frank Gore for amassing 197 yards against them this season. When St. Louis gets a quarterback, Steven Jackson's 116 yards is going to hurt a lot more than it did this season. Having an honest-to-God NT is going to keep that from happening.

Also, seeing as how Dansby was on the field for every down when he wasn't injured, I'd say that a real WILB like Weatherspoon will have just as much of an impact in both the pass and run defense as Kyle Wilson would be--maybe more early, since the Cards like using those three-safety sets in nickel packages.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think that Earl Thomas would be BPA in that situation. Honestly, I think that Kyle Wilson would be, also. I guess my philosophy is that you design your team to win the division. Most of the time, you're only going to see Philly, Green Bay, or New Orleans once: in the playoffs. And the playoffs are always going to be a toss up that have less to do with who has the better scheme or personnel than who has the healthiest team come early January.

But you're going to see the teams in your division twice a year forever. In our division we have two teams with unsettled QB situations but Pro Bowl running backs--Pro Bowl running backs who specialize in running between the tackles. The Cards might have had a first-round bye if they'd been able to keep Frank Gore for amassing 197 yards against them this season. When St. Louis gets a quarterback, Steven Jackson's 116 yards is going to hurt a lot more than it did this season. Having an honest-to-God NT is going to keep that from happening.

Also, seeing as how Dansby was on the field for every down when he wasn't injured, I'd say that a real WILB like Weatherspoon will have just as much of an impact in both the pass and run defense as Kyle Wilson would be--maybe more early, since the Cards like using those three-safety sets in nickel packages.

I agree here. My wish list goes Rolondo McClain, Sean Weatherspoon, Earl Thomas, Kyle Wilson, Dan Williams, Terrance Cody, Brandon Graham, Jermaine Gresham, trade back.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The Cards might have had a first-round bye if they'd been able to keep Frank Gore for amassing 197 yards against them this season.

I know you didn't intend it this way but the above really illustrates how things changed for the defense in the second half of the season and how inconsistent they were.

In the first game against SF the Cards held Gore to 30 yards on 22 carries!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison