My 2008 NFL Prediction

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I had a long flight from BDL-ANC in July. I picked up a Sporting News mag and made up my own predictions for the upcoming season. Here we go please bear in mind some of these decisions may have been induced by grapejuice and one particular prediction is born out of my shear hatred for the New England Patriots.

AFC East

NY Jets 10-6--I made this bold prediction even before they acquired Brett Favre. Now that they have I am more inclined to drop it to 9-7 or 8-8 as he is sure to sling passes into double and triple coverage frustrating NY fans for a couple of years! I hold up my prediction of AFC East Champs 10-6.

NE Patriots 9-7-- Cheaters never win and winners never cheat. Seriously though an old defense and thin defense will catch up to this team quickly. The Superbowl hangover continues.

Buffalo Bills 9-7-- One of my surprise teams for this year. Don't sleep on them. Their running back likes to hit and run.... through the big holes that O line will be opening up! I really like this team they are quiet and sneaky. Their trip to the desert makes me nervous.

Miami Dolphins 4-12-- They suck.

AFC North

Pittsburgh Steelers 9-7-- No way they reach 10 wins with that schedule. No way anyone else in the AFC North is ready to knock them off the top spot either. Look for a drop in production in Hines Ward though (maybe bring him to AZ!!!)

Cleveland Browns 9-7-- Something tells me that this record will be lower but there is something about this team. Edwards and Winslow are studly and I really like Kameron Wimbley. That guy is a star in the making.

Cincinnatti Bengals 8-8-- This is the last year for semi-success for Cincinnatti for a while. CJ could be gone after this year and Rudi Johnson is getting older. Funny their D sucks considering their HC specializes in D.

Baltimore Ravens 4-12-- I know Cardsfanmd won't like this, but I hope this team stinks so bad Terrell Suggs is itching to come play for the Cards next year. I think Troy Smith will surprise some people this year given the oppertunity.

AFC South---The next Powerhouse division in football.

Jacksonville Jaguars 12-4-- Watch out Peyton and co. There is a new dog coming to take over your spot and they are as good on D as you are on O. I really like this team to be playing in Feb. 2009.

Indianapolis Colts 12-4-- Lose the tiebreaker to JAX. They are good but getting older and I really think this D is still not goood enough to knock people around. I will say this Marlin Jackson is one of the more underrated DB's in the NFL.

Houston Texans 7-9-- This may actually be a little conservative for them. I think that this team is going to be REALLY good in two years. They are quietly amassing a fierce D like JAX. This team is going to sneak up in the next couple of years and really surprise some people. Great coaching staff too.

Tennessee Titans 5-11-- I hate this team just because every year I pick them to suck and somehow they sneak in the playoffs. I don't think they do it this year though. VY really needs some weapons.

AFC West

SD Chargers 13-3-- Talented explosive offense that fizzles come playoff times. They had a strong showing in Foxboro last year and if LT and Rivers were 100% they win that game. The Chargers window will be open for the next couple of years and they will reach the AFC Championship again this year, but will fall short.

Denver Broncos 10-6-- I really like Jay Cutler. He posied, confident and a leader. He is going to be a special player for the Bronco's and will be ready to take over the top spot when SAN falters, but not this year.

Kansas City Chiefs 5-11-- Herm Edwards always seems to be able to get the most out of his guys, but this is going to be tough to do with this group. Look for them to be good in 5-6 years and after they get a QB. But hey Chiefs fans at least your not Raider fans!!!

Oakland Raiders 4-12-- Two teams in the Bay Area I think really swung and missed with their number 1 overall selections at the QB spot in recent years. McFadden will be awesome, but he will not be enough to carry this team. Their D is really good though and has a lot of potential.

NFC East

New York Giants 12-4-- They are top dogs until someone knocks them out. Romo and the boys are too busy either A) hooking up with insanely hot chicks or B) running from the cops or C) all of the above. Therefore they will have a bark bigger than their bite. Eli has firm control of this team. The D is young and awesome and until someone proves otherwise they are NFC East Champs.

Dallas Cowboys 11-5--Good, talented, but do they believe they are even better than ESPN says they are? This team could be nasty if they focused on football. Talent wise they may just be the best team in the NFL, but will that translate come playoff time?

Philadelphia Eagles 5-11-- I really think their days are over. I think Andy Reid and McNabb may be looking for new jobs next winter. They have an average D and an aging QB who has never been right after that Superbowl loss. I just think they don't have it. ( I am not worried about Thanksgiving Night)

Washington Redsking 4-12-- This will be a down year for them, but they will be back in the playoff mix again in 2009. I think that Jason Campbell will be a solid QB, but until they get a WR or two he won't get the help he needs and that is going to hold them back.

NFC North

Green Bay Packers 10-6--I'll say this Green Bay will be much better off with a young, hungry, smart QB like Aaron Rodgers than they would have been with an old, me orientated, bonehead throws into triple coverage QB like Brett Favre. Besides this team is not going to be successful because of Rodger's play, they are going to be successful riding that talented D to the playoffs. They are only going to get better in the coming years.

Minnesota Vikings 8-8-- AP this AP that. None of it matters when you don't have a good QB throwing the rock to a bunch of no name WR's. Their run D may be the best in the league, but none of that matters when you're also the epitome of a one-dimensional offense. Anyone else see AP being the next Larry Johnson and getting the ball 400 times a year?

Detroit Lions 7-9--They are only so high because I am hopeful Dan Orlovsky (UConn) can come in and win a few for them! I doubt it though.

Chicago Bears 5-11--This is where they will dwell. If MIN has the one dimension Offense this is the no dimension offense. Good thing they re-signed Urlacher he is going to be earning his money this year! Good thing they didn't pay him by the hour!!!

NFC South

New Orleans Saints 14-2--Last year was a fluke. McCalister is back. This team is for real and they will make an interesting Superbowl matchup with the Jags come Feb. I really like where this team is headed. Ellis is going to be a stud. They are not amassing a lights out D, but certainly a championship type caliber D. This team is going to be one scary offensive team.

TB Bucs 9-7-- This team is like the Titans for me. They are so freaking hard to figure out. They are old on D and carry 19 freaking QB's but still get it done. I don't know how Talib will fare, but I am glad we didn't get him! Who knows with the Bucs.

Carolina Panthers 9-7--This may go lower if Smith keeps going postal and breaking his teammates noses. Like Reid and McNabb, Fox and Delhome may be looking for new jobs come winter. The potential is there on offense and they will have one of the best rushing attacks in a couple of years, but I think Delhome at the helm has run it's course in Charlotte.

Atlanta Falcons 2-14--Look on the brightside at least they can draft that awesome RB from Clemson ? or Georgia? to go with Ryan in 2009. Clearly rebuilding and clearly going to be the worst team in football.

NFC West

Arizona Cardinals 10-6--I know I made that horrible thread the other day but please take into account that I filled this out in July. I also realized that my fears were stupid. If they can stay focused and healthy this is the year we knock off the Hawks for the NFC West.

Seattle Seahawks 9-7--They are still the team to beat in the NFC West. They are weak at RB despite picking up Jones. This will be their weakspot. A nasty, nasty D. A banged up WR corps, an aging Hasselbeck, and a subpar RB unit will have Seahawk fans saying "oh well there's always next year"

STL Rams 6-10--Too old. D is too thin. I think they they are not going to be good. Tough to get a read on this team though since 50% of their starters last year were special teams player (not literally of course)

SF 49ers 4-12--Maybe it's me but the JT O'Sullivan to a 85 year old Issac Bruce combo really doesn't scare me that much. I think Frank Gore is WAYYYYYY overrated. This D is tough, and we gave them two last year but we are taking them back this year!

AFC Champion

JAX over SAN

NFC Champion

NO over NYG

Superbowl

JAX over NO

Last edited:

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
just wondering, do those records work out? especially in the NFC East. are those possible? but other than that good stuff!

OP
OP
CtCardinals78

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
just wondering, do those records work out? especially in the NFC East. are those possible? but other than that good stuff!
Yeah as I filled out the game for one team i.e. NYG beating DAL I went to the DAL page and marked that score down. It took a long time but it should all add up I think 256 to 256. I may be off a game or two but it works.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Glad to see you've calmed down. Your not alone. We all were taken for a ride this whole week.

A Jax NO superbowl would be akin to "if a tree falls in the woods, would anyone hear it?"

Lorenzo

Reaction score
jacksonville is good. I don't know that they are ready to leap over the entire nfl though. their offense is better than say...the vikings....a team that they share some simularities. not quite the run game, but a better pass game. gerrard is solid and getting better though. not a great offense by any means. and their defense is good...maybe very good. but not great enough IMO to carry them all the way to a SB victory. the patriots could fall, but 9-7 is bold even if you are joking. I just don't see them falling that far and losing that division to the jets. shawn merriman apparantly has torn ligaments. I know the chargers have an excellent defense, probably the best in the AFC, but that will be a major blow for them. and you have the colts 12-4 which i can't disagree with. they keep getting it done every year. denver is definitely on the rise. I think they lack at runningback...but their offense is getting stronger.

nfc: the saints are a good pick. they were definitely the sexy pick last year and for some reason they started off terrible. they have a great offense on paper. and they should be a top 5 offense no doubt. their defense is the only question mark. last year they gave up a lot of yards..even the year prior as well. I think dallas will have the same issue. offense is stellar. they will do what they want against most teams if they are on point. their defense needs to go from good to great. If that can happen this is dallas' conference. jones instantly gives dallas a punt return threat that they have not seen since deon.

OP
OP
CtCardinals78

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Glad to see you've calmed down. Your not alone. We all were taken for a ride this whole week.

A Jax NO superbowl would be akin to "if a tree falls in the woods, would anyone hear it?"

That would be an awesome SB

A great O against a great D and an average O against an average D.

Jax wins 3-0................in Double OT!!!!!!

(kidding)

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you're very wrong on the Eagles. They will contend for the NFC East crown & they may be the best team in the NFC. They are flying under the radar & will be much, much better than you think. There is NO way we beat then in a short week on the road. That crowd will be in a frenzy & they will beat us soundly that evening. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
philly and washington should have better records than what was indicated above. (at least as good as last year) if they can remain healthy. I don't see those poor records unless they take some major injuries or something. philly was ok last year...good enough to compete. but the offensive line play was terrible. they have to square that away and then they may be contenders. mcnabb seems to forget that it's already been 3 or 4 years since the eagles were the elite NFC team though.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
AFC East
NE Patriots 14-2
Buffalo Bills 8-8
NY Jets 7-9
Miami Dolphins 2-14

AFC North
Cleveland Browns 10-6
Pittsburgh Steelers 9-7
Cincinnatti Bengals 6-10
Baltimore Ravens 4-12

AFC South
Indianapolis Colts 12-4
Jacksonville Jaguars 12-4
Houston Texans 8-8
Tennessee Titans 7-9

AFC West
SD Chargers 13-3
Denver Broncos 7-9
Oakland Raiders 6-10
Kansas City Chiefs 3-13

NFC East
New York Giants 13-3
Dallas Cowboys 12-4
Philadelphia Eagles 9-7
Washington Redsking 6-10

NFC North
Minnesota Vikings 11-5
Green Bay Packers 10-6
Detroit Lions 6-10
Chicago Bears 5-11

NFC South
New Orleans Saints 11-5
TB Bucs 9-7
Carolina Panthers 6-10
Atlanta Falcons 1-15

NFC West
Arizona Cardinals 10-6
Seattle Seahawks 10-6
SF 49ers 4-12
STL Rams 1-15

Total approximations with no work put into it. I don't think some of these records are possible. But that is where I think some of these teams are right now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison