MVPaul Goldschmidt

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not being on a playoff team will hurt, but Goldie should get prime consideration for MVP

BA - 11th
OPS - 1st (by a wide margin)
RBI - 1st (and no one close)
HR - 1st
2B - 9th
BB - 3rd
Runs - 3rd

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
By the numbers, Goldschmidt should win. I think McCutchen takes it though.
Unfortunately, you're right! The most important stat is "made it into the playoffs". The Pirates, led by McCutchen, earned it. The D'backs, led by Goldy, blew it. (I'm talking about Wild Card.) The fault wasn't Goldy's at all, but he's paying the price.

Blame it on Miggy, who swung from the heels rather than protecting Goldy with RBI's as our cleanup hitter. Blame it on Gibson and his non-committal batting orders and changes in philosophy -- "gritty", no, "more home runs", no "gritty". And blame it on Kevin Towers for stocking an unbalanced roster.

It is heartbreaking. Goldy is not just our most valuable player. He is our only valuable player. 'Pretty much consistent from start to finish.

But the team's results show that there is too much mediocrity, from the coaching to the players, to be chosen the league's most valuable player.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does he have these good of stats? After the All Star break you didn't hear one word about him.. But before the break it was the exact opposite..

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
How does he have these good of stats? After the All Star break you didn't hear one word about him.. But before the break it was the exact opposite..

Before the break the Dbacks were in first place. Flaming out as a team really hurt Goldy...
Still, to add to Jon's list of stats:

Goldy leads the NL is HR's that gave the team the lead . He leads the NL in RBI that tied or won the game. He leads the NL in HR's in the 9th inning or later...
Monster year and he still won't win... Sad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Goldy leads the NL is HR's that gave the team the lead . He leads the NL in RBI that tied or won the game. He leads the NL in HR's in the 9th inning or later...
Monster year and he still won't win... Sad...

Yeah, there are stats out there that try to accumulate all those individual context stats into one total and it just highlights what you've said. Goldy leads the NL in Win Probability Added and is 4th in "clutch" (essentially performance in leveraged situations above or below overall performance). Goldy's Leverage Index is tied for second essentially tied first overall. So when you're clutch in high leveraged situation, you add wins to your team. All makes sense.

I think what hurts him is the team performance, but also position. McCutchen in a CF who is 4th in WPA and has comparable overall numbers.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Yeah, there are stats out there that try to accumulate all those individual context stats into one total and it just highlights what you've said. Goldy leads the NL in Win Probability Added and is 4th in "clutch" (essentially performance in leveraged situations above or below overall performance). Goldy's Leverage Index is tied for second essentially tied first overall. So when you're clutch in high leveraged situation, you add wins to your team. All makes sense.

I think what hurts him is the team performance, but also position. McCutchen in a CF who is 4th in WPA and has comparable overall numbers.

Yea... I just think that if the Dbacks were in the playoffs, Goldy would win going away...

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stats? Stats? Who cares about stats? Didn't KT tell us winning/grit was more important?

Couldn't resist.

May delete.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
November 14, 2013

Our MVP Paul Goldschmidt came in 2nd in the 2013 NL MVP voting.

Although Yadier Molina received two 1st Place votes and Goldy none, Goldy beat him out for second place.

......................1st PLACE VOTES........TOTAL VOTES

McKutchen.................28.........................409

Goldschmidt................0.........................242

Molina........................2.........................219

http://mlb.si.com/2013/11/14/andrew-mccutchen-miguel-cabrera-mvp-award-mike-trout/

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Thought it would be closer between McCutcheon and Molina, but Cutch deserves it.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Thought it would be closer between McCutcheon and Molina, but Cutch deserves it.
We knew when the D'backs blew 1st place to the financially secure Dodgers that Goldy would be all-everything in the NL this season, except the league MVP.

The MVP award won't be in the record books for Goldy, but it will be in the minds of National League baseball enthusiasts around the country.

He has arrived. Big time!

Now it is up to the GM and Manager to step up.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
He had a hell of year and deserves his #2 finish

However, you can't take away the year McCutcheon had either ..... hard to really argue against either guy, but for me taking into context the defensive positional difference and how well AM played late with their season on the line largely against other teams fighting for the playoffs it helps set him apart

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
He had a hell of year and deserves his #2 finish

However, you can't take away the year McCutcheon had either ..... hard to really argue against either guy, but for me taking into context the defensive positional difference and how well AM played late with their season on the line largely against other teams fighting for the playoffs it helps set him apart

If the Dbacks made the post season, I honestly don't believe it would've been close - it would've been Goldy in a landslide.
Beyong the pages worth of offensive accomplishments he put up this year, he also had a defensive year that is almost impossible to improve upon for a first baseman.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
If the Dbacks made the post season, I honestly don't believe it would've been close - it would've been Goldy in a landslide.
Beyong the pages worth of offensive accomplishments he put up this year, he also had a defensive year that is almost impossible to improve upon for a first baseman.

Pittsburgh can now go back to being irrelevant for the next 20 years. That's the reason he won, after all. It wasn't just the playoff run, it was the playoff run with THAT team. Add in the fact that most East Coast voters probably didn't watch a single Goldy game, and there was no way he was winning.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
...most East Coast voters probably didn't watch a single Goldy game, and there was no way he was winning.
In 2013. Right! But now Goldy is above the radar. He has established a foundation from Coast to Coast by coming in 2nd in the MVP and with the other awards he won, especially Silver Slugger.

C'mon, 2014. :thumbup:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Bump. Looks like he’s in line for MVP this year….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard