Murray's agent apparently broke off contact talks?

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Whoa, I'll stop you right there. Your opinion of how it would play out is greatly different from mine. Do you really think KM will sit out the season. Never going to happen, not in a million years. The worst that can happen, IMO, is he misses training camp, comes in just in time to start the season, pouts and whines, and isn't very good. Maybe he gets himself hurt, maybe he goes into meltdown mode again. Whatever. I see that as the worst-case scenario. In that case, you trade him. Most teams will think it's on the Cards, not on Kyler, so his stock won't really suffer. You trade the problem child and get a haul in return.

Best case, for me, is that he goes out there, lights it up, clinches us something, and puts in a good showing in the playoffs to lead us on a run. Then you pay the man.
Sorry Stout, I agree with your takes often nowadays.. but this is incorrect. The NFL is becoming the NBA with how contracts are handled - unfortunately and I hate it too. The fact is player like Anthony Davis and Paul George completely ruined it for small market teams. Both teams got less value when the player demanded to be traded after the fact. Once everybody knows you have no choice to trade them and the clock is ticking, and he disgruntled environment is on the up tick - the suitors take adavantage of this. As a die hard Pacers fan I saw this happen twice with PG and Oladipo. It sucks, as I was too brought up on honoring your word and agreements.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sorry Stout, I agree with your takes often nowadays.. but this is incorrect. The NFL is becoming the NBA with how contracts are handled - unfortunately and I hate it too. The fact is player like Anthony Davis and Paul George completely ruined it for small market teams. Both teams got less value when the player demanded to be traded after the fact. Once everybody knows you have no choice to trade them and the clock is ticking, and he disgruntled environment is on the up tick - the suitors take adavantage of this. As a die hard Pacers fan I saw this happen twice with PG and Oladipo. It sucks, as I was too brought up on honoring your word and agreements.
We'll never know, but I'm pretty sure that DeShaun Watson got paid to stay away from the Houston facility last season. Usually the QB contracts become so ungainly that teams are excited to add a couple years onto the end and push the pain into whenever the QB retires.

Complaining about Player Empowerment in the NFL right now has NO BASIS IN FACT.

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

"They think that Arizona knows that they have a good situation with him, a franchise quarterback. And that really Arizona, I'm told, has budgeted for having to re-sign Murray for a while now. They knew this day was coming, just probably a little earlier than they thought it would based on the pressure that Murray and his agent have put on things. Now, I'm told that Murray has talked to teammates and been encouraging as in, 'Hey, look, I love Arizona, I think I'm going to be here, things should work out.' Still some questions whether he'll show up for offseason workouts coming up, given his contract situation. And something's going to have to reach a boiling point, because he's going to want a deal soon, possibly around draft time. If it doesn't happen by then, things could get even more complicated."

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This 100%… you’re an ostrich if you think otherwise, the days of forcing QBs to play-out on contract are over. Hell Deshaun was going to sit out on a max contract before his scandal last off season.
Maybe for the 11 games so as not to miss a year of service. But would he do that for two years?!? Remember the cards own his rights for two years. Color me skeptical.

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

"They think that Arizona knows that they have a good situation with him, a franchise quarterback. And that really Arizona, I'm told, has budgeted for having to re-sign Murray for a while now. They knew this day was coming, just probably a little earlier than they thought it would based on the pressure that Murray and his agent have put on things. Now, I'm told that Murray has talked to teammates and been encouraging as in, 'Hey, look, I love Arizona, I think I'm going to be here, things should work out.' Still some questions whether he'll show up for offseason workouts coming up, given his contract situation. And something's going to have to reach a boiling point, because he's going to want a deal soon, possibly around draft time. If it doesn't happen by then, things could get even more complicated."

The articles website isn't showing for some reason. It's on the Bleacher Report.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
OK play that out. So Kyler sits the year and misses his bonus. So now you obviously have to trade him he's not going to negotiating after that. So the whole league knows you have to trade him which lowers his value. he doesn't have a no trade clause but he already sat out a year if you come up with a team he doesn't want to play for he can just refuse to report. So you have to trade him on his terms which again lowers his value. So you won't get market value for him.

They've had him 3 years they've known what he wanted for weeks now per the agents letter. if they weren't going to give him a new deal, tell them no you're playing on your current contract for us, we're not redoing it. If he says no, trade him when there was a flurry of QB activity and you might have gotten a really good offer.

They already deflated his value if he sits out the year it gets even lower IMO.
He won't sit out an entire year. He'll report by week 10, or whatever the latest date is for him to have an accrued year. The absolute last thing he wants, regardless of bonus money, is to not have his contract toll forward. If he sits the entire year, he's still in control for 2 more years...The Cardinals may actually not see that as a bad thing, if the intention is/was to trade him, because that would be attractive to any team trading for him at that point.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Never say never, I'm sure nobody expected his dad to do what he did all those years ago quit baseball after 1 year get sued by the Brewers, win the case and go play college football. I suspect that's why the people that made that video suggest Kyler actually would sit out the year.

I just don't see the upside of saying no you play on your contract, and we're not as good at WR, we havent' upgraded the OL, we lost a RB, we don't have an edge rusher, but we expect you to be brilliant and earn that contract.
I hear you about the 2nd paragraph. I'm not expecting him to go bananas with a lesser roster, but he can show a lot by elevating the talent around him enough to sneak into the playoffs and win a game. To continue showing improvement in the physical aspect of the game, and to show he's maturing on and off the field. I don't think it would be fair, under the current circumstances, to expect more.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The guy in the Yankees hat nails it the Cards don't really have a choice.

And the guy with the weird hair points out 6 guys have gotten paid after the 3rd year and they of course mention Baker Mayfield.

I hope he was kidding about 150 million from the A's the actual contract wasn't even close to that and there's no way a small market team like the A's would pony up a huge contract for a 24 year old who hasn't played baseball in like 4 years.

I have to admit I have no clue how much Kyler can make playing video games they seem to be suggesting it was pretty lucrative?
The video game take is comical. Faze clan wanted him because he was a celebrity, not because he’s a good gamer. When he streams he gets 400-600 viewers and doesn’t engage with his viewers at all. Top steamers are pulling 20k viewers. And he’s a “star athlete”. He’s awful at streaming

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The video game take is comical. Faze clan wanted him because he was a celebrity, not because he’s a good gamer. When he streams he gets 400-600 viewers and doesn’t engage with his viewers at all. Top steamers are pulling 20k viewers. And he’s a “star athlete”. He’s awful at streaming

Yeah I don't have a clue about that part I have no idea how much money he could make.

20K people watch other people play video games? Seriously.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I don't have a clue about that part I have no idea how much money he could make.

I just looked at Twitch, the top 15 live channels right now are as high as 76k viewers, and the lowest of the top 15 is 32k. crazy times

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The guy in the Yankees hat nails it the Cards don't really have a choice.

And the guy with the weird hair points out 6 guys have gotten paid after the 3rd year and they of course mention Baker Mayfield.

I hope he was kidding about 150 million from the A's the actual contract wasn't even close to that and there's no way a small market team like the A's would pony up a huge contract for a 24 year old who hasn't played baseball in like 4 years.

I have to admit I have no clue how much Kyler can make playing video games they seem to be suggesting it was pretty lucrative?
After the third year. Okay.
But in the summer.
Kyler started whining six months early.

People keep caving in to these spoiled *******, in a few years the slotted rookie contract will only be good through training camp....and teams will have to pony up before the rookie season even starts.
How soon is too damned soon? The fifth year option was put in so teams could get some return on their investment before having to pay full market price.
It's a parity rule so bad teams can keep their better draft picks a little longer without destroying their cap.

How long until we are right back to having draftees hold out for 100mil because they think they should get paid for what they did in college?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It shouldn't be that surprising. This generation doesn't watch as much TV, and watch streams/tik tok much more. They don't watch as much sports either.

There are some video games out there, and can be just as exciting to watch as sports...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But in the summer.

People keep caving in to these spoiled *******, in a few years the slotted rookie contract will only be good through training camp....and teams will have to pony up before the rookie season even starts.
How soon is too damned soon? The fifth year option was put in so teams could get some return on their investment before having to pay full market price.
It's a parity rule so bad teams can keep their better draft picks a little longer without destroying their cap.

How long until we are right back to having draftees hold out for 100mil because they think they should get paid for what they did in college?
Overexaggerate much?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Overexaggerate much?
Are you new? Before the rookie slotting that's exactly what happened every year.

Now the slotted contracts are getting thrown out sooner and sooner.
The next guy will want a new contract after year 2.....and so on....

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But in the summer.

They can't the NFL rookie contracts are capped by the NFL rules. A percentage of your overall cap goes to rookies.

I get all that the reality is you're blaming the wrong guy Murray would be the 7th qb in the last 4-5 years to get a new deal going into his 4th year. he'd be earlier by months if he gets it now, but he's not changing the market.

Cleveland changed the market guaranteeing much of the contract for Watson who'd already got his new deal, and sat out a year(paid) because of the off field stuff.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Shocking that an introverted personality doesn't engage significantly with others when streaming. and you are correct, he is in Faze because of his status.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Hot take: Keim and co. are handling this just fine
It all depends on the final timing of the deal. If they stand pat until the end of the season, I agree. If they make a deal in June, costing them a ton of bad publicity and cap space, they were stupid.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
They can't the NFL rookie contracts are capped by the NFL rules. A percentage of your overall cap goes to rookies.

I get all that the reality is you're blaming the wrong guy Murray would be the 7th qb in the last 4-5 years to get a new deal going into his 4th year. he'd be earlier by months if he gets it now, but he's not changing the market.

Cleveland changed the market guaranteeing much of the contract for Watson who'd already got his new deal, and sat out a year(paid) because of the off field stuff.
That is literally changing the market. No QB has ever done it after year 3, before the draft. It's not done. He would be setting the trend and we would be monumentally stupid to elevate a kid with maturity issues like this. We would be moronic. Sure, let's inflate that big head of his even more and give him less incentive to change SMH Sorry, I'm just upset that we're going to reward a freaking whiny man baby like this.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

I looked it up. A player cannot negotiate a new deal until the conclusion of their third nfl season.
So at least it won't get any sooner.
For the 2019 class, January 10th was the first day they were eligible.

Cleveland was desperate and needed to get Watson to waive his no trade clause.... that won't likely have any more effect than kirk cousins getting 28mil fully guaranteed from Minnesota when he left the redskins

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is literally changing the market. No QB has ever done it after year 3, before the draft. It's not done. He would be setting the trend and we would be monumentally stupid to elevate a kid with maturity issues like this. We would be moronic. Sure, let's inflate that big head of his even more and give him less incentive to change SMH Sorry, I'm just upset that we're going to reward a freaking whiny man baby like this.

Because of his roster bonus timing. I can't find it because they have new contracts but what was being said on the shows I was watching is that the timing of Murray's roster bonus is unique, the other guys either didn't have that roster bonus or had different timing on it so it was easier for them.

Also, all of them got extended after the team picked up their 5th year option on their rookie deal earlier in the offseason to show them the team was in fact negotiating. I think Murray's 5th year option is like 30 million, the idea is they pick that up so you know even if talks fall apart you get that payday in year 5. To my knowledge, the Cards have not picked up the option. I managed to find it for Josh Allen they picked his up May 3rd. So the Cards are about 2 weeks away from that "threshold."

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Yup. One of my boys doesn’t even watch them live. He watches them after the fact. It’s awful.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
It all depends on the final timing of the deal. If they stand pat until the end of the season, I agree. If they make a deal in June, costing them a ton of bad publicity and cap space, they were stupid.
Agree. This is all subject to change if Keim makes a desperate offer and caves into KM’s agent’s whininess.

I’d imagine Belichick would just chuckle at them

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn