Muffin's Final 53 Pre-Camp Predictions

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I don't know about any of you out there in Cardinal-land, but this year has flown by. It is already May, wow.

But there are positives to a speedy 1st half of the year, football is almost here.

I know to some the new tweaks to the off-season don't seem like much, or are so uninteresting they are not even worth discussing. Not for me. This off-season has been exciting, confusing, and strange at times. But, all that matters is if the Cardinals organization is making the best of this time they can. Personally, I think the Cardinals are having a very good off-season, and the only thing that keeps it from being a great off-season is that we couldn't land Peyton Manning.

A final thought on Manning, any team NEEDS Peyton Manning, but while they NEED Peyton Manning, is he the end all, be all for every team? Close but no. So while the Cardinals didn't land Manning, for reasons hashed out already, they tried, and also I don't think they will be that worse off for not getting him.

The QB is a huge position for any team, but if your TEAM is good enough, then you can win with a QB that is "good enough". I hope, hope, hope our organization and coaching staff embrace this roster's strengths. This roster is built for defense, and special teams. I think the Cardinals could pull off a defensive, special teams, and ball control offensive mind set and be very competitive this year. I hope that is what the Cardinals are thinking, but you never know.

Back to the off-season. We have the players signed from last year, the new free agents, seven draft picks, around 15 UDFA's, and around 15 tryout players. That is a lot of talent sift through and make quick decisions on. While having these UFDA's, and tryout players around is nice, they are battling for practice squad places. The Cardinals roster is almost set as is, with very few roster spots, and one or two, if any, active roster spots open. And I will elaborate on “active spots”. Teams can only field 45 players for game day. That means you have 8 players of the 53 players on the roster who are inactive for game day. Thus your last 8 spots can be for players you want to protect from other teams yet aren’t really ready to play yet. Of course you have the 8 players on the practice squad as well, but they can be signed off the practice squad by any team at any time, unlike the “8 inactive players”. I will note “easy" inactive choices below with italics, but only 7 of the 8. But I digress…..

Let's tear into it shall we.

Quarterback:
Forgive me, I am copping out on this first topic. Skelton vs. Kolb will be discussed, debated, and downright fought over for.........wow, potentially the next two years, if not more. So, we will leave the breakdown of QB's to the thousands of other threads that will address it. Here is my very obvious, three starting QB's.

I am going with Ryan Lindley as our 3rd QB. Why? Because he is a Whiz type QB, physically big in stature, and has a big time arm. Richard Bartel has done what is needed, but why waste time on 29 year old QB when you have a 22 year QB to put time into. Not to mention practice squad places will be at a premium this year. Unless Lindley is HORRIBLE, he will be the 3rd QB in.

1.John Skelton
2.Kevin Kolb
3.Ryan Lindley

Running back:
At running back I am in the group that is fine with our current situation at running back. Chris Wells, Ryan Williams, LaRod Stephens-Howlings, and Alfonso Smith are a very good core for the Cardinals. Each has a role, and each has the tools to flourish in their role. If there is any battle to be had at RB it is going to occur because of injury, or someone will beat out Alfonso Smith, which will be easier said then done since he is a speed demon, and has experience on special teams for the Cardinals. I can easily see a practice squad spot going to a RB to start this season as well.

1. Chris Wells
2. Ryan Williams
3. LaRod Stephens-Howling
4. Alfonso Smith

Fullback:
Watch out now, the debate is going to get fierce. LOL. We have our first battle in the roster. Anthony Sherman is our starting fullback. He is only getting better as he gains experience. I am very happy with Sherman as our fullback, and hope he is here for years to come. While the Cardinals always list one fullback, Jim Dray makes the roster every year cause he is our backup fullback more than he is our 4th TE. This year Dray is not a gimme at this spot. At the end of last season the organization signed the 275lbs Martell Webb and he is a house. Not to mention Steven Skelton is making an impression early on in camp. And even though I don't think he has a shot at making the team, roster or practice squad, I just want to type Jared Crank because it is a cool name for a fullback. Speaking of practice squad, there MAY be a chance a FB/TE gets a spot on the practice squad.

1. Anthony Sherman
2. Jim Dray/Martell Webb

Tight End:
Todd Heap should hope that the Cardinals don't have any bad injuries this camp. He is a luxury, and an injury-prone luxury. In my list? Jeff King is the starter, and Housler is the 1st tight end in on passing downs. That leaves Heap a 3rd string, $4mil tight end ? THAT is a luxury. It also says a lot for the lack of confidence the organization has in Housler right now. As long as the Cardinals are under the cap, who cares, but they are notes worth noting, IMO. Furthermore, compared to decades past ? These are good problems to have at the tight end position.

1. Jeff King
2. Rob Housler
3. Todd Heap

Wide Receiver:
I got everything I asked for at the wide receiver position this year. I thought the Cardinals needed a big body, possession type receiver. Too many times last year we needed a big catch, in a big situation. We didn't need a run and catch, or quickness, or speed. Just a catch to move the chains. Teams would cover Fitz, and that would be it. Doucet, and Roberts have their value but they are not possession receivers.

Enter Michael Floyd who comes in as the 1st round pick, with a lot of supporters. Personally, there is something about the guy I do not like at all, but it is what it is, and what it is, is what I asked for. If Floyd can play like a 3rd rounder and our wide receiver core is going to go from what it was last year to something much, much, much better. Doucet, and Roberts are going to thrive in the slot positions, and they will be way more effective on the inside. Regardless if Floyd is great or not, he has proven that if they don't respect him on the outside he is going to hurt put a hurt on the opposing defense, and that will balance the field out, IMO. You can't cover Fitzgerald, and Floyd, and expect the rest to take care of Doucet, and Roberts. That is going to cause problems for defenses this year. One move, gives this team 3 better players then last year.

Not to mention the 5th WR spot is WIDE OPEN. DeMarco Sampson has the inside track, but he is FAR from a lock. Stephen Williams will be in the picture but the "Lance Long/Max Komar" champion for two years ago is at his last chance. My surprise pick for the 5th roster spot ? Isaiah Williams. Kid has good size, decent hands, decent speed, and has been able to stick with the club for a few years. Kinda of a tweener that could play on the outside and on the inside at wide receiver.

1. Larry Fitzgerald
2. Michael Floyd
3. Andre Roberts
4. Early Doucet
5. Isaiah Williams/DeMarco Sampson/Stephen Williams

Offensive Line:
I am certainly not excited about the offensive line going into next season. The only known things about the line, is that Levi Brown has been more bad then good at LT, Jeremy Bridges has been a backup for more years then he has started, and few of those starts have been at RT. Daryn Colledge, who came here with the label “worse player on the Green Bay line”, and he showed he is a very average player. Adam Snyder has been a “jack of all trades” backup/ on & off starter in San Francisco. Lyle Sendlein is the starter at center, and while I will say he is above average, I have never been a fan of him at center. This line may have improved slightly from last season but to me it looks as lackluster, and dangerous as it has for the last two seasons. It could have been better, yet it could have been worse.

What is exciting about our offensive line is the future of this offensive line. Bobby Massie is the example of how silly the NFL can be. So far, after much digging, the re-occurring reason that I read for why Massie fell was because he was only a right tackle. He doesn’t have much promise as a guard, or center. That and some talk here and there about his drive and work habits. So, pretty much he fell because of his lack of versatility. That is just silly. Offensive tackles, left or right, are in huge demand, why a team would pass up on one because he may not be able to be “salvaged” is ridiculous. You need an OT then get an OT. Here in AZ, we need tackles, and will be happy to have Mr. Massie, if he can get the job done, play nothing but RT for us for a long time. Then you have Senio Kemelete that will give us the captain and leader on our offensive line. Yep, you heard right, IMO, Kemelete may be the best pick by the Cardinals in this years draft. Within two years he will be starting at LG, and will be there for a long, long time. You throw in Nate Potter who has every reason to be on the AZ roster for a couple of years at the least. Low draft pick, low salary, can backup the OT position, and has the time to get stronger before we really need him. He is going to make the roster, IMO. He will be that 52nd or 53rd guy that they want to protect. Another exciting prospect that the Cardinals signed without any fanfare what so ever is Ryan Bartholomew, who is a center. He is a physical freak when it comes to raw power. Given some time, and some polishing he could be a force inside some day. Again, another guy that will be kept around.

LT:
1.Levi Brown
2.Nate Potter

LG:
1.Daryn Colledge
2.Senio Kelemete

OC:
1.Lyle Sendlein
2.Ryan Bartholomew

RG:
1.Adam Snyder

RT:
1.Jeremy Bridges
2.Bobby Massie

Defensive Line:
Now we get to the fun part. The Cardinals defensive line is currently setup as if I was playing the Madden football video game. Seriously, what a wonderful job by our front office. If they could make this unit a model of how you want your roster to be setup, they should. First you have Calais Campbell, and Darnell Dockett, they got big contracts, but they are on the field more than any other defensive linemen, they have more responsibility then any defensive linemen, they are the starters in Hortons 2-4-5 defense, they produce, they lead, they have talent, they have great work habits, and tho they go about it differently, they are good community guys. Then you have your second tier of player in Dan Williams at nose tackle. He gets a good pay check but nothing like what Dockett, and Campbell get, and that is how it should be.

Then our backups in David Carter, who may not be a backup much longer, and Nick Eason who may make Vonnie Holliday expendable with his lose of weight this year. The fourth defensive end spot is currently wide open. The thing about this spot, is that the player here is really not needed. Both Carter, and Eason can play NT, and DE. Thus if there is a player worth investing in, the Cardinals could go in that direct. If there is injury, or no promising prospects, they could ask Vonnie Holliday to come back. They have a few DE’s they picked up as UDFA, but then they just signed, Landon Cohen as well. They are looking for a “bigger player”, IMO ever since Eason came back slimmed down. I list all the options because I have no preference on who they put there, and don’t have a strong indication of which player would better fit the Cardinals. At a glance? Cohen seems to fit our scheme the best.

DE:
1.Calias Campbell
2.Darnell Dockett
3.Nick Eason
4.Ronald Talley/Landon Cohen/Tevita Finau /Conrad Obi/Vonnie Holliday

NT:
1.Dan Williams
2.David Carter

Outside Linebacker:
I have a lot of confidence in this group talent wise, yet am concerned with the depth at this position. In my opinion, Acho, and Schofield are NFL quality pass rushers. In a passing situation, putting those two players at each OLB is going to produce. Acho is going to be an every down OLB, and seems to be an absolute steal from last year’s draft. O’Brien Schofield is much more of a wild card. He can rush the passer and do it well. Yet, against the run, and in coverage he is still a liability. Clark Haggans fit in well as a compliment to Schofield at the position. Haggans just doesn’t have the pass rushing ability he once had. Yet, Clark Haggans is not on the roster….yet. Then there is Stewart Bradley. People around here love him, LOL. IF Bradley can ever get back to his form I believe he will find his place in this defense. It may be at inside linebacker, and I for one hope that is the case. It may be to play the role Haggans has plated at OLB in the past seasons for the Cardinals. Which is fine, but even with his pay cut, he is vastly over paid to be a role player. Plus can Bradley even get the job done, he did spot duty last year, and Haggans still saw the field before Bradley. Not to mention what kind of roster spot do you put Bradley at ? Outside linebacker or Inside linebacker ?

Pass rushers are a rarity in today’s NFL. Up there with left tackles, and quarterbacks. If you have any pass rush ability, you will always have a job, and a good pay job in the NFL (see Kameron Wimbley). Thus it is hard to find players that can do it. Past Schofield and Acho there is not much on the roster. Antonio Coleman has played in the league here and there, Brandon Williams has shown enough to stick around in AZ, and there are whispers that Brodrick Binns may have some potential. ** SEE NOTE AFTER ILB SECTION. Yet, lets say Paris Lenon gets hurt or shows his age & Stewart Bradley is the full-time SILB. Then we have a huge hole at one of the OLB since Schofield cannot be relied on to be an every down player. Do you risk that what you have is enough? Sooner or later Clark Haggans will be brought back, IMO, and he will be playing this year again. He was a nice compliment to Schofield last year, and will be again this year. This IS if there is not some pleasant surprise in camp this year.

OLB:
1.Sam Acho
2.O’Brien Schofield
3.[Stewart Bradley]
4. Clark Haggans

Inside Linebacker:
First off we will start with who I think will have a huge year for the Cardinals this year, Daryl Washington. He is in, he is a lock, he is our best inside linebacker. I expect Paris Lenon to command the strong inside linebacker spot, but with all due respect, there has to be a plan for the future. Enter Stewart Bradley who has been a gigantic disappointment to many, including me. The talent was there at one point in his career, the question is, can he ever get back to what he once was? Not to mention the contract that Bradley has is for a starter, not a role or depth player. If Bradley was paid like a depth/back up I would be happy to have him on the team for depth, but he needs to step up his game, and take over the ILB position. If he doesn’t he is a waste of a roster spot in the future. He will have his place and role this year, but I doubt there will be much of a future if he cannot start by year’s end.

Bradley also affects the roster, as noted. Another sign the Bradley is on the hot seat is the number of ILB’ers in camp: Quan Studivant, Colin Parker, Paul Vassallo, and of course Reggie Walker are all being brought into camp so there is a lot of competition at that spot.

** NOTE: Tho Antonio Coleman, Brandon Williams, Brodrick Binns, Quan Studivant, Colin Parker, Paul Vassallo, and Reggie Walker technically all play different positions, they are in competition for roster spots. In reality, and sadly Stewart Bradley is also in this competition, and the cause of this hodge podge of linebacker competitions. He is the first OLB or ILB on both lists going into camp. Spots will be determined by not only how well Bradley performs as a whole but where he ends up. Personally, to give an answer and a roster spot, Bradley will end up at OLB this year, but by “roster spot name only” and play his multi-position role for at least one more year, and Quan Studivant will be on the final 53.

ILB:
1.Daryl Washington
2.Paris Lenon
3.[Stewart Bradley]/Quan Studivant
4.Reggie Walker

Corner Back:
I am as excited about the good balance of players we will have at cornerback this year. I really liked the signing of William Gay. Not the greatest talent in the world but plays the way Ray Horton wants, and is another voice to coach along the youth on the roster. Jamell Flemming looks, and sounds to be a great addition to the roster, and I think he is going to have a hard time finding the field for no reason other than there is good talent ahead of him. He will get there in time, but not to start off. There will be a war for the 5th cornerback spot on this roster. I should mention that I feel Greg Toler will not only make the roster but be starting opposite Patrick Peterson. Toler has always had the physical talent, I am assuming that he used his time off to get caught up on the mental part of the game.

Back to the 5th spot where you have veterans like AJ Jefferson, Crezdon Butler, and Michael Adams fighting to just make the final 53. That doesn’t give much chance for an ex-practice squad player, or UDFA to make it on the roster. The next shock is I don’t think AJ Jefferson has a shot since he is not the special teams player Adams is. So, IMO, it is between Butler and Adams, with Adams in the lead going into camp.

CB:
1.Patrick Peterson
2.Greg Toler
3.William Gay
4.Jamell Flemming
5.Crezdon Butler

Safety:
Adrian Wilson is of course taking his spot at strong safety. Another off-season went by and again I have no idea who will take this spot in the future. You would have to have a freak of an athlete to repla………. Oh yeah. We got one of those. PP7. But, we will save that story for later. Along with Wilson, the much maligned Kerry Rhodes will be at FS this year, and remind everyone that we have the best safety tandem in the league. Though he is a very average depth player, Frank Sanders was brought in to challenge Rashad Johnson. Johnson will probably play backup for Wilson this year, and Sanders will backup the free safety position while bringing along my steal of the draft, Justin Bethel.

So, yes, you counted right. Like Nate Potter, I don’t think the Cardinals want to put Bethel on the practice squad, and will keep him as the 53rd player on the roster. Why? Bethel may have a lot to learn on defense, but right away his speed, and special teams abilities will pay off big time this first year, IMO. Mattering on how good Michael Floyd is, Bethel may make the biggest impact in his first year, just on special teams.

Safety:
1.Adrian Wilson
2.Kerry Rhodes
3.Rashad Johnson
4.James Sanders
5.Justin Bethel

Special Teams:
Jay Feely is what he is. He is old, but pretty consistent. He can kick in clutch situations unless it is at Seattle. Dave Zastudil, will be our weak link in special teams again this year, cause Ricky Schmidt is not good enough for the NFL, and has proved it time and time again. Mike Leach, who? Yep. Exactly. Keep up the good work.

Kicker:
1.Jay Feely

Punter:
2. Dave Zastudil

Long Snapper:
1.Mike Leach

Oh, wait. That is right, there is a reason the Cardinals special teams is, well, special. We will have Patrick Peterson returning punts again this year. Any worry about injury is ridiculous cause you cannot waste a talent, and weapon like Peterson at punt return. He will be a weapon again this year. Not to mention the FIELD GOAL BLOCK! LOL, Good luck opposing kickers, cause we are coming for you!

1.Patrick Peterson
2.Jamell Flemming
3.Reggie Walker
4.Dan Williams
5.Calais Campbell
6.Darnell Dockett
7.David Carter
8.Quan Studivant
9.Crezdon Butler
10.Justin Bethel
11.Adrian Wilson (safety in back of line)

Practice Squad ? You want a practice squad ? Jeez! You guys want everything don’t you. To be honest I have no idea. The scouts for the Cardinals are extremely active during the pre-season, and we always seem to have a couple players we sort through and pick off other rosters to put on our practice squad. I think Lindley might be on the practice squad if Bartell is needed, Jaymar Johnson has seems to stick to our practice squad, Stanley Arukwe may be too fast to let go, I imagine some running back from somewhere will be on the practice squad by the start of the season, and maybe Richie Lumpkin sticks around. I don’t know to be honest with you. There are way too many variables.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Pre-Camp Predictions:

1. The starting QB will be John Skelton. What a preseason this is going to be. 42 page posts after every preseason game with heated debates about which QB is best after they throw the ball 10 times in a quarter of football! Gonna be great

2. Beanie Wells is going to be more valuable with less carries. Beanie got what he wanted, a lot of carries, and he ended up right where the coaches expected him, in the hospital repairing his body. Less will be much more with Wells. He found his power running game last year, and became a weapon.

3. Jeff King will be our starting TE for the next 4 to 5 years. This is Heap’s last year if he even makes the roster. I do not think Rob Housler is going to make the transition to the NFL. He is good, but not good enough.

4. Floyd will be good/solid but not great. May be some bumps this first year when it comes to maturity, and “diva-ness”.

5. Levi Brown, Daryn Colledge, Lyle Sendlein, Adam Snyder, and Jeremy Bridges. There is your starting offensive line for 2012. It will be another under-whelming and frustrating year for the line. I don’t see any rookies playing this year unless there is injury. I hope I am wrong. But, the hand wringing over our LT and his play will start after the HOF game and get worse. By week one we will be wondering how we let this happen again.

6. Dan Williams’ light bulb will turn on. Because David Carter has made him realize that college has nothing to do with the NFL and who plays.

7. O’Brien Schofield will have at least 10 sacks this year…..and maybe 15 tackles.

8. Stewart Bradley enjoys his final season in the desert, and a need will develop at ILB. I hope Paul Vassallo makes the practice squad.

9. Greg Toler starts at CB. Jamell Flemming will start here and there opposite of him with PP7 is going to play a little safety this year. Justin Bethel is going to make some plays on special teams. Finally, our secondary will be feared as tacklers. Lots of fines, but lots of hits too.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Daryn Colledge, who came here with the label “worse player on the Green Bay line”, and he showed he is a very average player.

Don't put too much stock in that "worst starter on the Green Bay offensive line"

In 2008 and 2009 Steve Breaston was the worst of our top 3 Wide Receivers.

He only had 132 catches for 1,718 yards.

So being the "worst" is relative to how strong whatever it is you are using as the standard. Green Bay's worst offensive lineman might be better than all 8 of the Cards offensive linemen.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good read. Thanks.

I have concerns with OL and OLB positions still like you mentioned. I hope that we have no major injuries in preseason. Maybe the FO will work the wire and we may see a surprise signing toward the end of camp, LB OT or ?

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Good stuff Rugby. Thanks for taking the time.

One thing, you said "If Floyd can play like a third rounder" the WR corps can really go places. I think your subconscious was working OT on that one... :)

Also, my money is on Money Mike, so to speak. Bethel to the practice squad. He might be hard to hide there, but every team has 6th and 7th rounders they like and are keeping there.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Excellent analysis, good job. I think Kolb will be the starter but as you said there will be many threads on this topic. I like WR Floyd a lot but I don't see him really contributing that much this year. Wrs do take a couple of years to develop. Hope I'm wrong on this.
I'm really looking forward to training camp and the 5 preseason games. The rubber hits the road when the players put on the pads.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Great job.

But I don't ever want to read an article/post that mentions Stewart Bradley that many times ever again :D.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
AJ Jefferson can't play special teams? That's news to me, he returned some kicks last year and was decent.

I don't get how Jefferson goes from being a starter who had his ups and downs (more downs admittedly) to being off the roster. Crezdon Butler was cut by a CB poor Pittsburgh team last year, I doubt he sticks.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great read. I agree with most of what you said. I think you underrate Colledge, but someone else already mentioned that.

And, as it has been discussed at length, I think Kolb would have to be a complete disaster in preseason while Skelton excels to not be the starter by default. I dont think Kolb will even take enough snaps for his preseason to be defined as much of anything... most starters dont and with Kolb's injury problems I'd think the Cards will be extra cautious.

My biggest disagreement though is at CB. I view that as potentially being a really really big problem. Peterson will continue his ascension but after him its a lot of question marks. Tolar stunk in 2010 and is coming off an ACL injury, but is supposedly better suited for this defense; AJ Jefferson is trash and I agree that him being waived would not be surprising; Steeler fans say Gay is awful but we shall see. I hope Flemming is legit. I like what I've seen in clips and hopefully he takes to the defensive schemes quickly because I think our secondary (just like last year with Marshall) is going to need a hero to emerge to patch them together. Most of all, hopefully I am way wrong about Tolar. I think he is at best a serviceable nickle-corner only because of his tackling ability, but as a cover-man he was horrific.

Oh, and my "surprise" on the roster is... I think Heap will likely retire or get cut before the season.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rugby, I agree with your offense (26), defense (24) breakdown, but I'm more upbeat about our OL, though your names (for the OL) seem right on. And in fact I agree with most of your "picks". If I have to nitpick about guys who I don't think will make it, I'll throw out the following:
1. Butler (CB). Adams is my guess because of experience and ST value.
2. Sturdivant (ILB). One of the UDFA's (no idea who) makes the team.
3. Bethel (S). Just a guess that ALL our draft picks won't make the team.

As you can see, imo, you were right on. Thanks, for a great article.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Great read. I agree with most of what you said. I think you underrate Colledge, but someone else already mentioned that.

And, as it has been discussed at length, I think Kolb would have to be a complete disaster in preseason while Skelton excels to not be the starter by default. I dont think Kolb will even take enough snaps for his preseason to be defined as much of anything... most starters dont and with Kolb's injury problems I'd think the Cards will be extra cautious.

My biggest disagreement though is at CB. I view that as potentially being a really really big problem. Peterson will continue his ascension but after him its a lot of question marks. Tolar stunk in 2010 and is coming off an ACL injury, but is supposedly better suited for this defense; AJ Jefferson is trash and I agree that him being waived would not be surprising; Steeler fans say Gay is awful but we shall see. I hope Flemming is legit. I like what I've seen in clips and hopefully he takes to the defensive schemes quickly because I think our secondary (just like last year with Marshall) is going to need a hero to emerge to patch them together. Most of all, hopefully I am way wrong about Tolar. I think he is at best a serviceable nickle-corner only because of his tackling ability, but as a cover-man he was horrific.

Oh, and my "surprise" on the roster is... I think Heap will likely retire or get cut before the season.

Again awful compared to what? I don't think you can have the #1 pass defense in the NFL with an awful starter at CB. Teams would just attack him all day. Is there any way to cover for a weak CB? In today's NFL I just don't see how you could even with a ferocious pass rush.

I'm not as worried about our pass defense, other than their proclivity for giving up huge plays, as I am our run defense. The last two seasons Cards opponents passed for less than 200 yards 14 times. Meanwhile they rushed for over 150 yards 14 times and over 100 twenty three times.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Again awful compared to what? I don't think you can have the #1 pass defense in the NFL with an awful starter at CB. Teams would just attack him all day. Is there any way to cover for a weak CB? In today's NFL I just don't see how you could even with a ferocious pass rush.

I'm not as worried about our pass defense, other than their proclivity for giving up huge plays, as I am our run defense. The last two seasons Cards opponents passed for less than 200 yards 14 times. Meanwhile they rushed for over 150 yards 14 times and over 100 twenty three times.

IMO it would be ideal if Toler/Flemming beat out Gay for the #2 CB spot. Gay is limited with his size, but has always shown to be a tough competitor. He would be ideal for the 3rd CB spot (can tackle, play in the slot) and it would mean either Toler or Flemming really played well because they will have to beat Gay out for a spot. Gay is the type of fighter we need on this defense to keep improving, especially with a young group of CBs.

My main worry is our pass rush. I'm not too worried about other teams running the ball because it shortens the game, which leads to lower scores, which ultimately benefits Arizona. I don't believe we have an offense which can score 30+ pts to win a game, but I know we have the weapons to score 20+ pts to win a game. I believe our secondary will be solid, but I also understand your secondary can only cover for so long. I worry about our ability to generate a pass rush vs. 4 and 5 WR sets where your defense is spread out and blitzes aren't able to be disguised. Those are the formations we will have to defend vs. the Giants, Packers, Lions, Eagles, Cowboys, and Saints which will be key if we want to be a playoff team.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This looks pretty darn good. Anyone have our 2011 opening roster position count? This one gives us;

QB3
RB4
WR5
TE3
FB2
OL9

DL6
OLB4
ILB4
CB5
S5

ST3

I am always concerned about OL and DB depth. The CB/S ratio isn't a big deal because I see this D playing alot of different sets and some of the CB/S are interchangeable. 10 seems like a good number here. I think we are solid at DB and DL and the question will be what our LB corp can do.

We have had years with 6 WRs but cant see that happening in 012. Last year I was surprised we kept 4 TEs but the back up FB explains that.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
AJ Jefferson can't play special teams? That's news to me, he returned some kicks last year and was decent.

I don't get how Jefferson goes from being a starter who had his ups and downs (more downs admittedly) to being off the roster. Crezdon Butler was cut by a CB poor Pittsburgh team last year, I doubt he sticks.

Maybe you could ask Terrance Holt or Orlando Huff how it happens. Or ask Rod Hood.

I have no idea how you can defend A.J. Jefferson as an even solid starting player in the NFL. He was terrible last season in 7 starts before getting benched and coming in only as the 5th DB in nickel situations. He's 24 now.

The biggest reason that Jefferson's going to struggle to make the roster is that he doesn't have any positional versatility. The only thing he does well as a corner is occasionally using his big body to edge receivers out of bounds, but he's not good at maintaining the inside leverage that makes this technique consistently useful. More problematic is that he can't do that playing from the slot.

Toler can be effective playing inside our on the edge. So can William Gay. So can (ostensibly) Jamell Fleming. Mike Adams is a demon on special teams and probably the top guy you want in the slot after Gay. So those are four guys who are more versatile and oustanding before you start to ask about safeties and other depth players.

So, Jefferson is going to struggle to make the roster because he's (1) bad and (2) less versatile than the other guys at his position. Maybe he's able to beat out Credon Butler or Justin Bethel, but I'd rather go with a guy that may not be able to do the job than the guy I know can't do it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
When were A.J. Jefferson's ups? His big PD days where when he was picked on mercilessly and couldn't do anything to stop it, and it was mostly when he was starting that we were giving up HUGE passing plays through the air.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree, it requires perspective. But from experience when one fan base is almost unanimous in saying "thank god that garbage is off our team" then its an ominous sign. I gave him the "we shall see" qualifier. I hope he is good, but I would imagine the Steelers fans dislike came with cause.

Moral is, corner scares me. I think our corners are far more likely to be a weakness than a strength, and if guys are not getting playing time its not because of the depth above them, its because they're bad. And seeing as the team drafted 2 corners, signed 2 more, with PP, AJ, Adams and Tolar returning, it seems that the Cards are not confident in their corner situation either and hoping through quantity they can find someone who works.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I agree, it requires perspective. But from experience when one fan base is almost unanimous in saying "thank god that garbage is off our team" then its an ominous sign. I gave him the "we shall see" qualifier. I hope he is good, but I would imagine the Steelers fans dislike came with cause.

Moral is, corner scares me. I think our corners are far more likely to be a weakness than a strength, and if guys are not getting playing time its not because of the depth above them, its because they're bad. And seeing as the team drafted 2 corners, signed 2 more, with PP, AJ, Adams and Tolar returning, it seems that the Cards are not confident in their corner situation either and hoping through quantity they can find someone who works.

I think we solved our CB problem, for the next 4-5 years at least, in the 3rd round this year and first round last year. As much as I hate to say it about a guy from Oklahoma I think we got a real gem in round 3 this year. You don't get named defensive MVP in back to back Bowl games if you don't have real skills.

The problem is going to be of course inexperience. Peterson, Fleming, and Toler have a grand total of 3 seasons of NFL football between them.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i dont like how poeple does the 53 prediction..no so much fantasy..maybe names like byrd from miami..binns from iowa.then a rb could be come after final cut roster

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great Post Rugby. It's contributions like this that help make this the best Cards web site.
Articles like this are light years better then anything on the bleacher report.

While I don't agree 100% with everything I do agree with a majority of your opinions and observations. Any difference I might have could easily turn out to be where I would be proven wrong so I'm not putting any of them on the record. :)

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
Excellent read thanks for all the time that must have took.

I agree the addition of Floyd should make us better, because we now have the flexiblity to move Roberts to his more natual postion in the slot. I'm higher on Housler then most, because he is the only guy at the TE postion that is a mismatch nightmare for a DC. On the defensive side of the ball I wasn't thrilled with this years draft because, we are very solid on the D-line but another young up an comer was needed IMO, the total disreguard for the LB"S was a huge mistake IMO that I hope doesn't bite us in the Arse.

artp

Registered
Reaction score
Excellent analysis, good job. I think Kolb will be the starter but as you said there will be many threads on this topic. I like WR Floyd a lot but I don't see him really contributing that much this year. Wrs do take a couple of years to develop. Hope I'm wrong on this.
I'm really looking forward to training camp and the 5 preseason games. The rubber hits the road when the players put on the pads.

We did not draft WR M Floyd to take a couple of years to develop. Now, he may; but, the Cardinals drafted him to make a difference this year.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
When were A.J. Jefferson's ups? His big PD days where when he was picked on mercilessly and couldn't do anything to stop it, and it was mostly when he was starting that we were giving up HUGE passing plays through the air.

Interception to end game against Philly, for one.

2011 was his education at the "school of hardknocks" and we'll see if he can apply the lessons.

NO ONE knows how this will play out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

2011 was his education at the "school of hardknocks" and we'll see if he can apply the lessons.

Agreed.

Just my opinion, and my thinking was.

1. Patrick Peterson - Obvious
2. Greg Toler - 100% speculation by me. I think he will do well in Horton's system.
3. William Gay - They didn't sign him to cut him.
4. Jamell Flemming - They didn't draft him to cut him.
5. [Thunder Dome] - There are 3 or 4 good depth players that could land this spot, and in my opinion AJ Jefferson is not going to be the guy. Which is tough, since I like the player, and think he has promise. This situation is a good problem to have.

So in reality I believe we have 3 out of the 5 spots covered, with Toler being a very strong 4th player possibility.

I would be pleasantly surprised to see Jefferson win a spot this year, but not absolutely shocked.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Have you watched the play? A desperation heave that was no where near the intended receiver (a 3rd stringer) from an injured quarterback. Not exactly a career-making play.

It's silly that you came back and edited this to add the inane final two sentences. Give me a break, CC. Clearly no one knows how this is going to play out, but it's pretty clear from A.J. Jefferson's performance on the field during the season and the coaching staff and front office's actions after the season that they weren't happy with the cornerback play last year.

Either they're unhappy with Patrick Peterson, or they're unhappy with the guy playing across from him. Who do you think?