Movie-A-Day #79: A Clockwork Orange

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I know some of my selections thus far might be deemed as too "mainstream", but they're within my top-10 favorite movies. Also, ones that I assume most who participate on this forum have had a privilege in seeing, along with the fact that I'm trying to cover my faves in certain genres.....

Thanks again to Amazon.com for the following:

Stanley Kubrick's striking visual interpretation of Anthony Burgess's famous novel is a masterpiece. Malcolm McDowell delivers a clever, tongue-in-cheek performance as Alex, the leader of a quartet of droogs, a vicious group of young hoodlums who spend their nights stealing cars, fighting rival gangs, breaking into people's homes, and raping women. While other directors would simply exploit the violent elements of such a film without subtext, Kubrick maintains Burgess's dark, satirical social commentary. We watch Alex transform from a free-roaming miscreant into a convict used in a government experiment that attempts to reform criminals through an unorthodox new medical treatment. The catch, of course, is that this therapy may be nothing better than a quick cure-all for a society plagued by rampant crime. A Clockwork Orange works on many levels--visual, social, political, and sexual--and is one of the few films that hold up under repeated viewings. Kubrick not only presents colorfully arresting images, he also stylizes the film by utilizing classical music (and Wendy Carlos's electronic classical work) to underscore the violent scenes, which even today are disturbing in their display of sheer nihilism. Ironically, many fans of the film have missed that point, sadly being entertained by its brutality rather than being repulsed by it. --Bryan Reesman --This text refers to the VHS Tape edition.

Personal Note: First, I must admit that I never read the novel this movie was adapted from. I'm wondering for those who have both read the novel and seen the movie, did the movie version serve as a(n) justice/injustice to the novel? Stanley Kubrick was obviously one of the best directors in the past fifty-years. "A Clockwork Orange" and "The Shining" are my two favorite movies he directed while unfortunately his "swan song" had to be "Eyes Wide Shut".... Malcolm McDowell's performance as Alex hasn't been rivaled whatsoever for someone portraying as "twisted" of a character. Amazon.com is certainly correct in classifying "A Clockwork Orange" as an "essential" for any "film buff's" collection. It's certainly a "must see!"

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Difficult to watch for the "normal" movie fan. But a masterpiece nevertheless.

I still prefer 2001 and Strangelove, however. :D

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If I had to rate kubrick films in order of preference, I dont think I could do it.

Orange
Full Metal Jacket
Stangelove
the Killers
The Shining

What a task that would be. But it was Orange that got me into Kubrickas a teenager. Intensely violent picture, but the message is one not to be missed.

Wonderful film. Youre right Chap, a masterpiece for sure.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
This movie is a bit too twisted and violent for my taste, but it has been many years since I've seen it.

I am a big fan of Kubrick's earlier work, mainly Paths of Glory and Spartacus.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Originally posted by schutd
If I had to rate kubrick films in order of preference, I dont think I could do it.

the Killers

I think you mean The Killing. The Killers was a 1946 Burt Lancaster film. :)

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
I'll admit to not being a Kubrick fan or a fan of this movie. I read the book right after seeing the film to see if it would add anything, but Kubrick did a very faithful adaptation of the book (which comes complete with a translation of the slang in the book/film - very helpful).

I really liked the scenes showing the experimentations on Alex and his subsequent helplessness in society, but the style of the film and art direction never sat well with me for some reason.

JMO

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHEW! Wanna talk about a nausiating movie this one takes the cake! HATED IT!

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I recently re-watched this one. Wow, what a film. It was even more amazing the second time.

Rated #2 of the 25 most controversial movies of all time. Entertainment Weekly, 16 June 2006.

Passion of the Christ was rated #1.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no way they could ever remake this movie. First, if truly derivative of the book, it would be given an X rating. Even if they made changes, like Kubrick, it would struggle to get out of the NC-17 realm. Second, no one would get it. There's no great hope in psychology like there was in the '60s, and no one really fears fascism in the West anymore. At least not in large segments.

This is one book/movie that can only be understood in the context of the age of which it was made, though its relationship to other books/movies from that era like Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now really bring home an understanding of humanity we are all too quick to ignore. I look at Africa the past 30 years and think we've just completely missed the point of those stories. Western culture can't wrap its brain around darkness in the human condition because it's too comfortable and too easy to assume the ultimate goodness of men.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This movie is a bit too twisted and violent for my taste, but it has been many years since I've seen it.

I am a big fan of Kubrick's earlier work, mainly Paths of Glory and Spartacus.

Join

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Difficult to watch for the "normal" movie fan. But a masterpiece nevertheless.

I still prefer 2001 and Strangelove, however. :D

:stupid:

My old roommate and I watched Dr Strangelove and Clockwork Orange back to back one night. :thud:

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never seen it, but know I probably should. Have heard all about the premise and the plot. Sounds pretty disturbing.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never seen it, but know I probably should. Have heard all about the premise and the plot. Sounds pretty disturbing.

Save yourself the two hours and do something constructive Jersey :)

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
How do I go about requesting to become the Movies forum moderator so that I can ban Shane?

AZZenny

Reaction score
Totally with Shane on this. I agree it was brilliantly made, but it was very sick and thematically incredibly ugly while being visually beautiful. I agree with Gad, too -- I doubt it would have either the same impact or that today's audience would 'get' it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison