Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie-A-Day #423: SLC Punk!

You must be registered for see images attach

SLC Punk!

Tagline: God bless America...they're going to need it.

Cast: Matthew Lillard, Michael Goorjian, Annabeth Gish, Jennifer Lien, Christopher McDonald, Devon Sawa, Jason Segel, Summer Phoenix, James Duval, Francis Capra

Plot Summary: To grow up in America is to, at one point or another, rebel against the world around you. If you're Stevo and you live in Reagan-era Salt Lake City, then, well...you just have to rebel a little bit harder. To this recent grad, the world is his enemy, anarchy his religion, and the Ramones, The Specials and the Dead Kennedys his muses. As he takes us on a guided tour of his life, we meet all sorts of punks, poseurs, mods, freaks and a few others best described as indescribable.

Trivia: The apocalyptic imagery that appears behind Sandy when she tells Stevo something "beautiful" is a scene from Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991).

Matthew Lillard's character, Stevo was originally to have bleached blond hair. However, when getting the bleach job, the peroxide burned Lillard's scalp, leaving a hideous mess. Dying his hair blue was a way of hiding it.

Quotes: Stevo: "Posers were people who looked like punks but they did it for fashion. And they were fools, they'd say "anarchy in the UK." What the f's that? Anarchy in the UK. What good is that to those of us in Utah, America? It was a Sex Pistols thing. They were British, they were allowed to go on about Anarchy in the UK. You don't live your life by lyrics."

Heroin Bob: Well, it's a crazy f'd up world and we're all just floating along waiting for someone who can walk on water, man.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
This film is an interesting look into the world of a couple of kids/young men trying to figure out life and their place in the world. Great job by Lillard. Some great scenes and memorable quotes too.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one of my favorite all-time indies, partially because they just let Lillard go off script and partially because that's pretty much how I remember high school in Mesa in that same time period. They pretty much nailed it for me as a period piece.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lillard was brilliant in this movie. I really liked it, it reminded me of my days growing up in a largely mormon population (though i wasn't a punk) and it didn't get into bashing mormons, it just brought up the issue of how difficult it is to be different in a town that is made up of mostly one type of religion.

My nephew growing up was a punk. Wore the whole outfit and the hair, I showed him this movie and he hated it becasue he thought it was "So lame that he turned out to be a poser at the end."

That same kid is now an officer in the U.S. Army serving in Afghanistan so there you go! lol

Whats that saying? Life imitating art?

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good movie. I never knew that's how his hair ended up blue though. Slat Lake was a weird place to live.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Lillard was brilliant in this movie. I really liked it, it reminded me of my days growing up in a largely mormon population (though i wasn't a punk) and it didn't get into bashing mormons, it just brought up the issue of how difficult it is to be different in a town that is made up of mostly one type of religion.

My nephew growing up was a punk. Wore the whole outfit and the hair, I showed him this movie and he hated it becasue he thought it was "So lame that he turned out to be a poser at the end."

That same kid is now an officer in the U.S. Army serving in Afghanistan so there you go! lol

Whats that saying? Life imitating art?
Agreed, Lillard was brilliant. I don't recall him coming anywhere close to this performance prior to or since this one.