Movie-A-Day #138: Dogma

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I guess I plan on focusing on some films that generated a lot of controversy, and Dogma certainly did when it was initially released in the theatres.... Thanks to Amazon.com for the following....

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
Kevin Smith is a conundrum of a filmmaker: he's a writer with brilliant, clever ideas who can't set up a simple shot to save his life. It was fine back when Smith was making low-budget films like Clerks and Chasing Amy, both of which had an amiable, grungy feel to them, but now that he's a rising director who's attracting top talent and tackling bigger themes, it might behoove him to polish his filmmaking. That's the main problem with Dogma--it's an ambitious, funny, aggressively intelligent film about modern-day religion, but while Smith's writing has matured significantly (anyone who thinks he's not topnotch should take a look at Chasing Amy), his direction hasn't. It's too bad, because Dogma is ripe for near-classic status in its theological satire, which is hardly as blasphemous as the protests that greeted the movie would lead you to believe.
Two banished angels (Ben Affleck and Matt Damon) have discovered a loophole that would allow them back into heaven; problem is, they'd destroy civilization in the process by proving God fallible. It's up to Bethany (Linda Fiorentino), a lapsed Catholic who works in an abortion clinic, to save the day, with some help from two so-called prophets (Smith and Jason Mewes, as their perennial characters Jay and Silent Bob), the heretofore unknown 13th apostle (Chris Rock), and a sexy, heavenly muse (the sublime Salma Hayek, who almost single-handedly steals the film). In some ways Dogma is a shaggy dog of a road movie--which hits a comic peak when Affleck and Fiorentino banter drunkenly on a train to New Jersey, not realizing they're mortal enemies--and segues into a comedy-action flick as the vengeful angels (who have a taste for blood) try to make their way into heaven. Smith's cast is exceptional--with Fiorentino lending a sardonic gravity to the proceedings, and Jason Lee smirking evilly as the horned devil Azrael--and the film shuffles good-naturedly to its climax (featuring Alanis Morissette as a beatifically silent God), but it just looks so unrelentingly... subpar. Credit Smith with being a daring writer but a less-than-stellar director. --Mark Englehart --This text refers to the DVD edition.

Personal Note: Kevin Smith ranks w/in my top-10 favorite directors of all time especially since he's extremely witty and most of the characters he develops are very sophsticated...He has a penchant in coming up with memorable scenes and phrases in each and every one of his films.....I rank this tied w/Clerks as my favorite Kevin Smith effort.... He assembled a brilliant cast for this movie and even managed to make Alanis Morissette tolerable....
If no one has ever seen this movie, then you must right away...
Unfortunately I only saw it once (just after it was released on
video) and some of the subtleties aren't completely fresh in my mind, but I remember distinctly that Smith offered a rather innovative twist to religion.....Definitely deserves....:thumbup: :thumbup:

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa, I just watched this again last night. Awesome movie.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hated it and all of these guys movies!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Definitely not Smith's best, but certainly enjoyable nonetheless. Ben Affleck is such a terrible actor though... :mad:

I did like a lot of the little stuff that he put in, but Jay really gets annoying after about 5 minutes, and outside of some surprising seriousness, most of Chris Rock's schtick was just too much.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Man I really enjoyed this movie. I can understand why catholics were upset by it but IMO people just need to lighten up a little.

I would not say there were great performances or that it is some great piece of art but I found it to be very funny and entertaining.

"I love to f*** with the clergy." ~Loki :D

Attachments

• buddychrist.jpg
    buddychrist.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 95

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirChaz
Man I really enjoyed this movie. I can understand why catholics were upset by it but IMO people just need to lighten up a little.

I would not say there were great performances or that it is some great piece of art but I found it to be very funny and entertaining.

"I love to f*** with the clergy." ~Loki :D

I bought Buddy Christ for my girlfriends grandmother - she absolutely loves it. She thinks that it is just a way to make JC more appealing to younger folks.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I just watched it. There was definitely some funny stuff in there. I think I was expecting a little too much out of it because of all the controversy it received. I read that Kevin Smith was kicking around the idea of doing a sequel, so I guess we’ll see.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard