Movie A Day #117: Predator

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Movie A Day: Predator

Okay MadCardDisease, I'll go for you since you haven't checked the forum lately :D

No Amazon.com synopsis needed. If you haven't seen it go rent it.

Basic plot: A crack team of special forces soldiers in a south American jungle are hunted by a mysterious alien creature.

Unfortunately, that cookie-cutter plotline has become a staple of crappy direct-to-video movies and Sci-Fi Original Pictures. Substitute in genetically-enhanced Raptors, genetically-enhanced Komodo dragons, or a Chupacabra for the alien and voila! You have a crappy sci-fi/action movie!

As the trailblazer for this sub-genre, Predator did it right. Even with the stereotypical "crack team of special forces soldiers". Despite the presence of Hawkins (screenwriter Shane Black), who looked like he would have a hard time with Boy Scouts let alone special forces training, the group just felt right for this kind of movie. Jesse Ventura steals every scene he's in. Bill Duke is exceptional as well. So what if they follow no conventions of special forces warfare or display any hints of reconaissance training - the fast-paced action, the genuine tension, and the incredible special effects more than make up for the little flaws.

Of course the highlight of the film is the Predator itself. From the cicada-esque growling, to its replaying of dialogue it has heard, to its thermal-vision, the Predator definitely stands out as one of the creepiest and most effective sci-fi villains ever. The fact that you never get a chance to see it until the very end of the film helps out quite a bit - especially considering the makeup effects Stan Winston did for the unmasked Predator - wow!

"If it bleeds, we can kill it."

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:thumbup:

Great choice MadCar...err...mdamien. :cool:

"I ain't got time to bleed."

Still a fun movie to watch, the effects were really good too.

Any opinion on the upcoming Aliens vs. Predator?

OP
OP
mdamien13

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brian in Mesa
Any opinion on the upcoming Aliens vs. Predator?

Seeing as it's being written and directed by Paul "I wrote and directed Resident Evil" Anderson, who didn't bring in Stan Winston for special effects on AVP, I'm not expecting too much. I mean it takes place in Antartica - didn't they say in Predator that Predators don't like cold places?

But I'll be there to see it opening day.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mdamien13
I mean it takes place in Antartica - didn't they say in Predator that Predators don't like cold places?

Hmmm. Didn't they even try and trap one in that "cold" warehouse in Predator 2?

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Predator is an good movie, very enjoyable.

All I remember about the Predator is that they came to earth when it is hot. Now that could be a seasonal thing not just because they like heat.

I think in Predator 2 they wanted to trap him in the cold warehouse because they thought he could only see in infa-red and were trying to hide their heat signatures.

Anyway good choice. :thumbup:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, that actually would have been one of my choices.

One of my all time favorites!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
mdamien, how DARE you!!!! :D

Actually, I debated posting one myself, but work's been killing me today!

Predator--one of Ahnold's classics!

Now, can the Predator beat aliens? :D

"Whoever wins, we lose"

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appoligize for my tardiness. I didn't realize it was my turn again already. I've been swamped at work so I haven't had much time to check out the movie board.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely loved this movie! Can watch it over and over again!

Carl Weathers best role :)

Witht he exception of Action Jackson of course!:thumbup:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McTiernan Doing a Predator Restart?
Source: Latino Review
February 8, 2005

Latino Review has an interesting rumor saying that Fox is looking to restart the Predator franchise:

Twentieth Century Fox are in talks with John McTiernan to do a new Predator film - not a sequel, not a remake, not a prequel; more of a restart. There's talk - based on a treatment that's floating around the traps - that it might fix on Dutch's (the guy from the first film, played by Arnold) grown-up commando kid.

:confused:

How is it not a sequel if it involves the grown-up son of a character from the first film? :|

C'mon, just name it Predator 3 already. :D

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
:confused:

How is it not a sequel if it involves the grown-up son of a character from the first film? :|

C'mon, just name it Predator 3 already. :D

better yet - let it die and write something original.

shawn

OP
OP
mdamien13

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Robert Rodriguez (Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Spy Kids, From Dusk till Dawn) had written a screenplay for Predator(s) 3 that would have taken humans to the Predators' home planet. It was supposed to have sucked pretty hard, though, and eventually dropped.

Any comic book geeks know that the Predator had some awesome sequels come to life through the Dark Horse comics. My favorites were Predator: Cold War (w/ Dutch!), Predator: Big Game (Predator vs. the U.S. Army), Predator vs. Batman (very cool despite sounding cheesy) and one that was very good where the Predator is hunting convicts inside a maximum security prison in Arizona.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
The original Predator is sick! Carl Weathers is ripped. Ol ex-Governer Ventura is awesome in that. I liked the Indian guy who knew they were going to die.

Best line, "You are one ugly muther-f*cker"

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I recently re-watched it. Still as awesome as I remembered!

Interesting fact of the day - the guy that played the predator also played Harry in Harry and the Hendersons.

Jesse Ventura steals every scene he's in.

Definitely.

"I ain't got time to bleed."

My favorite quote from the film. I still use this one quite often.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen