More UA Recruiting News

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Recruiting Trail: Wildcats still waiting on Ross
The standout cornerback has yet to decide between Arizona and Oregon.

JOHN MOREDICH
January 9, 2006
Tucson Citizen

The University of Arizona football team finds itself in a holding pattern, waiting to see what five-star cornerback Devin Ross will decide, and who will fill the final five available recruiting spots.

Ross did not make his collegiate announcement at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl on Saturday as originally planned, opting to wait a few more days.

"He wanted to make sure he was going exactly where he wanted to go," said Devin's father, C.J., last night. "He just said to me, 'Dad, give me through the end of this week.' "

Ross, Scout.com's No. 2-rated cornerback nationally, still has Arizona and Oregon as his final two choices.

The shut-down corner was a success in the All-American Bowl in San Antonio, rated by Scout.com as the West team's No. 2 overall player.

"Despite a big advantage in talent, the East receivers were held to no touchdowns for the game, and Ross was one of the main reasons why," Scout.com said.

"He played well, didn't get beat and had a couple of deflections. He also supported well on the run, finishing the day with four tackles."

The 5-foot-11, 185-pound corner from Rancho Cucamonga (Calif.) High School is not the only player the Wildcats are still trying to lock up before the Feb. 1 signing day.

Arizona could get up to 25 players, including three junior college prospects who have already signed.

The Wildcats are competing against Oregon for Scout.com four-star offensive lineman Jovon Hayes as well. The 6-2, 320-pound guard from Dorsey High in Los Angeles has already taken an official visit to Arizona, and is taking a trip to Oregon this weekend. Hayes is also considering Oklahoma and Mississippi State.

Arizona is slated to get a visit from defensive lineman Conan Amituanai this weekend. It will be a family reunion of sorts. His uncle is Wildcat defensive line coach Mike Tuiasosopo.

Conan is a 6-4, 280-pound prospect from Poly High in Los Angeles, who was visiting Washington over the weekend. A player that California is recruiting as a tight end, Conan has the Ducks and the Golden Bears among his favorites.

The Wildcats may also get a fourth receiver in this recruiting class with Jamere Holland coming next week. Again, the Ducks are involved in the recruiting process for the 6-1, 180-pound four-star wideout from Woodland Hills (Calif.) Taft High.

USC, Mississippi State, UCLA and Washington have offered him scholarships.

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/sports/...c3_ua_football

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
It would be great if we could get all those players, but especially Ross. He would be an awesome addition to this team.

There is an article that says Ross will decide by this saturday.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
If we get Ross and maybe one of the other four star guys, does this become the best recruiting class ever for a three win team???

Either these guys are drinking from the same kool-aid bucket as us Cat fans or Stoops really has something going in the southern desert.......

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Apparently Ross did so well at the All-American game that LSU, Texas, and USC are all on the verge of offering him and he's re-opening his recruitment. Beating USC and Texas again for a recruit isn't likely to happen when you're Arizona (or anyone for that matter). Thankfully it will probably open up a scholarship for that UT transfer.

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Word from the SC MB's (sorry, no link) is that Ross canceled his visit to Southern Cal and told them he is going elsewhere. I still think he is going to choose between UA and Oregon.

:crossesfingers:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Renz said:
Word from the SC MB's (sorry, no link) is that Ross canceled his visit to Southern Cal and told them he is going elsewhere. I still think he is going to choose between UA and Oregon.

:crossesfingers:

I read that. Some kids go for the schools that have been recruiting them from the beginning ala Louis Holmes. I think it's insulting when teams look at you after a All American game and ignored your entire senior season especially when you are the No. 2 rated CB.

If we could land Ross, Holland, Hayes, and Conan and fit in Tatum from Texas we are set. Also look out for Chris Wellington (Holland's HS teammate), he has U of A in his top 4.

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Five top recruits visit Cats
By Charles Durrenberger
Arizona Daily Star
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 01.16.2006

Arizona hopes to slam the door on its football recruiting in the next two weeks with a bang.

The Wildcats hosted five high-profile prospects with another top-level player, Jamere Holland, due today and Tuesday. Holland, a four-star receiver from Taft High School in Woodland Hills, Calif., is down to Arizona, Oregon and Mississippi State. Ranked as the No. 10 receiver nationally, the 6-foot, 180-pound Holland visited Oregon over the weekend, and plans to head to Mississippi State after spending two days in Tucson.

The Cats got high marks this weekend from the No. 6 running back in the country, C.J. Gable. Gable (6-1, 190) said USC still leads, but that Arizona has closed the gap.

"On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate the visit a 10," Gable said Sunday night from his home in Sylmar, Calif. "I loved everything about it."

Gable, who rushed for 2,298 yards and 29 touchdowns but can also play safety or cornerback at the next level, spent a lot of time with fellow visitor Tyler Lyon.

Lyon, a three-star quarterback, committed to the Cats in November. Gable and blue-chip recruit Devin Ross (Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.) plan to make their choices public this week. Ross, the nation's No. 2 cornerback who visited the UA last month, is down to Oregon and Arizona.

Other projected difference-makers on campus this weekend were defensive linemen Conan Amituanai (Long Beach, Calif.), Ma'ale Uele (Fresno Community College) and Braylon Broughton (Dallas).

Amituanai (6-4, 280) is the nephew of UA defensive tackles coach Mike Tuiasosopo and has Arizona close behind Oregon and California. Uele (6-3, 290) is also considering Oregon, while Broughton (6-6, 240) has Arizona and Iowa as his finalists.

The Wildcats have 20 verbal commitments, which are non-binding until Feb. 1, the first day that prospects can ink national letters of intent.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/wildcats/111543

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Jovon Hayes gave the wildcats a solid verbal. He is the 10th rated O-lineman coming out of High School.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Renz said:
:thewave:

Another 4 Star recruit for Stoops and Co. Devin Ross next? :koolaid:

Ross is a 5 star recruit.

Oh and I have a bit of sad news that about our Jovon Hayes. Even though he gave the Wildcats a solid verbal he is still visiting other campuses. So I would not be so happy until he signs a LOI.

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
Ross is a 5 star recruit.

Oh and I have a bit of sad news that about our Jovon Hayes. Even though he gave the Wildcats a solid verbal he is still visiting other campuses. So I would not be so happy until he signs a LOI.
I meant that Hayes was a 4 Star.

Rivals and scout.com both have Hayes going to Tucson, so I think it's a done deal. Hayes had been leaning towards UA for some time. I wouldn't be surprised to see him cancel his other visits now.

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like Jovon is a done deal...

Cats Land another 4-Star
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

By Chris Bonney
Football Editor
Date: Jan 17, 2006

Now that the recruiting season has picked up full steam ahead again after the dead periods, the Wildcat coaching staff is wasting no time in reeling in more studs. Today the coaching staff got word of their 21st public commitment and it is a big one, literally.

Los Angeles Dorsey 4-Star offensive guard/defensive tackle Jovon Hayes has decided to go public with his decision to become a Wildcat.
“I am officially committed and I am a Wildcat now,” Hayes told CatTracks.net. “I knew all along and I kind of told the coaches before that I wanted to come but I wanted to wait a while but now it is official, I am a Wildcat for sure.”
Hayes was being recruited by Arizona defensive tackles Coach Mike Tuiasosopo and the two hit it off from the get go.
“Oh man, Coach Tui is a great guy,” he said. “He was the first to offer me a scholarship and he has been on me the longest and he has recruited me the hardest all along. He and coach (Eric) Wolford are both great coaches. I know they care about me and they have both helped me a lot through the whole thing.”
Another thing that stuck out to Hayes was his experience at the Wildcats camp this past June in Tucson.
“I got to work with Coach Tui and Coach Wolfy at the camp,” Hayes said. “I like their coaching style. They are both strong and in your face and I like that because I know that off the field they are both really cool guys. They were both real excited when I told them that I am officially a Wildcat. They were real fired up and so am I.”
Big Jovon will come in and play two different positions to start in Tucson. He is listed as a 4-Star offensive guard but he will also see time early at defensive tackle, a position that he loves to play.
“I really want to try both in the beginning and then see where I fit the best,” he said. “I like playing defense and I want at least a shot at playing it and Coach Tui and Arizona said that I will definitely get my shot there.”
Hayes went on to admit that the process has been long and kind of annoying to both he and his family. This late in the game he had two additional visits lined up but said that those are not going to happen now.
“Man, I want to get it over with,” he said with a laugh. “All of the phone calls and everything were just getting really old and I knew kind of all along that I wanted to go to Arizona anyways. I told my mom that I wanted to just end it and she was happy. She is very happy with me going to Arizona. I was going to go to Mississippi State and Arizona State but I am a Wildcat, I am done.”
Ultimately the decision for Hayes came down to the relationships that he had built with his lead recruiter and to-be position coach.
“For me it was the coaches basically,” he said. “I have been down there twice and the school and the area is just beautiful but for me it was definitely the coaches. Coach Tui and Wolford and Stoops, I know they care about me as a person and not just a football player and I just really want to play for them and be a Wildcat.”
In the end Hayes said that it will be weird not wearing the customary green and white of Dorsey High School anymore but he did say that he will get used to his new digs. “Yeah man, the green and white is gone,” he said laughing. “I got to get used to the red and blue now because I am definitely a Wildcat and those are my colors now.” Hayes is the 21st public commitment for the Wildcat coaching staff and his commitment leaves just four scholarships left. Hayes is a huge addition to an already great recruiting class. Hayes is the fourth commitment gained by Mike Tuiasosopo as a lead recruiter.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I wonder what AZBALLER's take on Hayes is? :)

Well it HAS to be bias cats fans that Scout.com has all over there office writing up these ratings. ;)

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Ross sets announcement date
Greg Biggins
Rivals.com Football Recruiting

Rancho Cucamonga (Calif.) defensive back Devin Ross will be making his long awaited decision a week from this Thursday (Jan. 26) on the L.A Times HS Show on Fox Sports. It's a two team race for Ross with Oregon and Arizona battling for his services.

Gable to announce on Thursday
by Greg Biggins of Rivals.com Football Recruiting

Sylmar (Calif.) running back C.J. Gable is just days away from making his college choice. The standout running back will decide between USC and Arizona on the L.A. Times HS Show on Thursday. Gable said he had a great trip to Tucson and we'll soon find out whether he saw enough to pick the Wildcats.

Gable is a longshot, but I think Ross will sign with the Cats.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Gable to announce on Thursday
by Greg Biggins of Rivals.com Football Recruiting

Sylmar (Calif.) running back C.J. Gable is just days away from making his college choice. The standout running back will decide between USC and Arizona on the L.A. Times HS Show on Thursday. Gable said he had a great trip to Tucson and we'll soon find out whether he saw enough to pick the Wildcats.

Gable committed to USC today. No surprise there.

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Devin Ross is supposed to declare for UA, Oregon or USC tonight at 8:30 AZ time. I'm betting USC, but I've got my fingers crossed for the Cats.

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong...but didnt Arizona recruit him for awhile, only for USC to jump on the bandwagon? If he ends up there, it's going to be crap.

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Mrh182 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong...but didnt Arizona recruit him for awhile, only for USC to jump on the bandwagon? If he ends up there, it's going to be crap.
Yep. UA and Oregon went at him hard from the beginning and he was poised to choose between the two a couple of weeks ago, but SC supposedly jumped in after the Army HS All-star game.

When it looked like SC was the new front-runner, Ross cancelled his visit to SC and it was back to UA and UO. Now it's rumored that SC has finally offered Ross a scholarship. The really bizarre thing is that he is supposed to have a visit to SC set up tomorrow, after his announcement tonight.

Very strange. I believe anything could still happen with this kid.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Renz said:
Very strange. I believe anything could still happen with this kid.
From all reports it sounds like he's a bit of a headcase albeit a very talented one. But I guess if he's good enough for USC then he's good enough for Arizona should he decide to go to Tucson.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Renz said:
Devin Ross is supposed to declare for UA, Oregon or USC tonight at 8:30 AZ time. I'm betting USC, but I've got my fingers crossed for the Cats.

Has he delayed his choice again?

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
Good question....I've been searching the net for the past hour looking for news and cant find anything :confused:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ross is a Wildcat!!! He just announced on the Arizona Sports Report. What a great recruiting class Stoops is bringing in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort