More Reason To Take Jalen Carter Off The Board

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The guy is a beast on the football field. Who cares if he's out of shape in March? He was 10 pounds heavier. He can lose that and be ready to go in a week.
This is a case of too much pre-draft analysis. He's a top 5 talent and played like one on the field.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The guy is a beast on the football field. Who cares if he's out of shape in March? He was 10 pounds heavier. He can lose that and be ready to go in a week.
This is a case of too much pre-draft analysis. He's a top 5 talent and played like one on the field.
If he's not smart enough/motivated enough to work out for the most important moment of his burgeoning career--a mistake that probably cost him millions and millions of dollars--what makes anyone think he'll be motivated enough to put in the needed work during his career? He was a beast--except he wasn't because he didn't show it in any meaningful statistical way--on a college football field, but is now showing he doesn't care enough to try. That doesn't project well.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If he's not smart enough/motivated enough to work out for the most important moment of his burgeoning career--a mistake that probably cost him millions and millions of dollars--what makes anyone think he'll be motivated enough to put in the needed work during his career? He was a beast--except he wasn't because he didn't show it in any meaningful statistical way--on a college football field, but is now showing he doesn't care enough to try. That doesn't project well.

After a pedestrian final season in College, Xxxx Xxxx's motivation and desire was questioned. He didn't shine at the Combine, putting up a mere 16 reps at 225, and his other stats were middling at best. Result? He dropped to the middle of the second round.

Care to guess who?

Stout

Reaction score
After a pedestrian final season in College, Xxxx Xxxx's motivation and desire was questioned. He didn't shine at the Combine, putting up a mere 16 reps at 225, and his other stats were middling at best. Result? He dropped to the middle of the second round.

Care to guess who?
Lemme guess, someone who turned out to be goo?

Counter question: How many players with clear problems--not rumors, but stuff like being so out of shape he couldn't even finish his workout--succeed instead of failing?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Counter question: How many players with clear problems--not rumors, but stuff like being so out of shape he couldn't even finish his workout--succeed instead of failing?

Answer: Calais Campbell

And given that I'm sure you wouldn't ask a question without knowing the answer, I look forward to seeing your exhaustive list.

Stout

Reaction score
Answer: Calais Campbell

And given that I'm sure you wouldn't ask a question without knowing the answer, I look forward to seeing your exhaustive list.
Yes, I'm going to spend my lunch break running down lists of all the busts who showed crappy work ethic in the draft process. Because me not wasting my time like that totally disproves my point lol

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I'm going to spend my lunch break running down lists of all the busts who showed crappy work ethic in the draft process. Because me not wasting my time like that totally disproves my point lol

So, should I do the research in support of your 'anecdotal' point? :lmao:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My anecdotal point? You posted a poor "gotcha" attempt "guess who this is?" What are you going to do to further bolster an argument or point you haven't even made yet? I'll wait.

I am still waiting on your exhaustive list that supports your initial point. And while you are at it, why not a list of players who dropped leading to the draft and proved to be solid pros? :shrug:

And Calais was a 'platinum' gotcha. :wave:

I imagine, if Carter is a problem, you agreed with passing on La'el Collins in 2015, right?

Stout

Reaction score
I am still waiting on your exhaustive list that supports your initial point. And while you are at it, why not a list of players who dropped leading to the draft and proved to be solid pros? :shrug:

And Calais was a 'platinum' gotcha. :wave:

I imagine, if Carter is a problem, you agreed with passing on La'el Collins in 2015, right?
Yeah, nice baiting try. You do like to try to get under posters' skin with this kind of nonsense. I'm not going to humor you.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Orlando Brown Jr. had a famously bad work out and major questions about his work ethic. I'd argue that big guys (OL and DTs) don't have to have the workouts that other positions have.

I still would use a top ten picks on Carter considering everything.

Stout

Reaction score
Orlando Brown Jr. had a famously bad work out and major questions about his work ethic. I'd argue that big guys (OL and DTs) don't have to have the workouts that other positions have.

I still would use a top ten picks on Carter considering everything.
Major difference between bad workout and couldn't even finish a workout. And still very, very much the exception and not the rule.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
You once told me you don't watch college football, unless it was Penn State. So do you now or are these takes something you've read about? Just curious

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Except he was out of shape in December and called out by a reporter for sucking wind on the field... he blew it off with a flippant comment about running some wind sprints before the bowl game.
Then he was gassed in the bowl game.
Carter has a clear history of minimal effort.

Stout

Reaction score
You once told me you don't watch college football, unless it was Penn State. So do you now or are these takes something you've read about? Just curious
I've only seen a few of his games. The takes aren't anything I've read, as most people rave about the kid. I just read the stat sheet. I would expect someone that's such a generational talent to have some effect on the stat sheet, especially with all the other problems he has.

Edit: Maybe he only got limited snaps because he was so out of shape he couldn't handle more.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
The most important part of his burgeoning career is what he did on the field in actual games and he was a dominant force.

Stout

Reaction score
The most important part of his burgeoning career is what he did on the field in actual games and he was a dominant force.
#1: Not really. This is the pros, not college.
#2: Really? I guess he had some impressive numbers, right?
#3: Oh, it's just that he looked good on tape, without putting up dominant numbers with dominant players all around him, while unused (unable to play?) for a lot of snaps. That pairs well with elevation to the NFL when paired with a terrible work ethic.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
All of us should be terrified of drafting this guy. Everything points to him being someone who will get the money and soon disappear into oblivion. We shouldn't waste a dime, much less a draft pick on this guy. And especially when you know there are other good players for us to choose from. Let some other team take the gamble, maybe one who can afford it and who it won't hurt if he turns out to be what all the signs point to. We can't afford to gamble on players like this.

What are some of you thinking? You seem to be falling into the trap of worrying about who you might miss out on, instead of who you can surely benefit from acquiring. Sure, we have missed out on some good players we could have had in other drafts, but this guy doesn't fall into that category of player.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Taking Laremy Tunsil off boards because of the social media pic pre-draft turned out to be a great idea too. As did Warren Sapp.

I am guessing this is where the patented Bidwill/Keim "CARDINAL GRADE" will come in handy. :rolleyes:

Stout

Reaction score
Taking Laremy Tunsil off boards because of the social media pic pre-draft turned out to be a great idea too. As did Warren Sapp.

I am guessing this is where the patented Bidwill/Keim "CARDINAL GRADE" will come in handy. :rolleyes:
There are exceptions, always--Dan Marino being a great example--but most of the time, when a kid is truly bad with motivation, you should believe what he's telling you. We're not talking about a kid (Carter) who has some social media pics or rumors of a little ****** toking (still love that you can't say that silly word); he has some serious concerns.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
#1: Not really. This is the pros, not college.
#2: Really? I guess he had some impressive numbers, right?
#3: Oh, it's just that he looked good on tape, without putting up dominant numbers with dominant players all around him, while unused (unable to play?) for a lot of snaps. That pairs well with elevation to the NFL when paired with a terrible work ethic.
So, if Carter showed up in perfect shape and killed the workouts, you’d be good with drafting him?