Modern Family (ABC)

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This season, Community is a solid 2nd and Raising Hope a solid 3rd.

I haven't seen an episode of Raising Hope...I'm sure I've heard of it, but I couldn't tell you anything about it.

The thing is about Modern Family is that to me it's good, funny and fresh...but it still doesn't compare to The Office the first few seasons, or even 30 Rock. I think there is a "little" bit of hype around Modern Family.

Community is more my kind of show...pop culture references, corny, unique...etc.

If I had to pick one to keep watching, it would probably be Community.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I haven't seen an episode of Raising Hope...I'm sure I've heard of it, but I couldn't tell you anything about it.

The thing is about Modern Family is that to me it's good, funny and fresh...but it still doesn't compare to The Office the first few seasons, or even 30 Rock. I think there is a "little" bit of hype around Modern Family.

Community is more my kind of show...pop culture references, corny, unique...etc.

If I had to pick one to keep watching, it would probably be Community.

Raising Hope is the best new comedy this year--kind of a replacement for My Name Is Earl. Surprised you haven't seen it or even heard of it.

As for choosing, why do you need to choose?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Modern Family hasn't been quite up to snuff of it's first season, but it's still probably the best newtork sitcom out there... although, I gotta say, The Office is having a nice rebound season and Community is always solid.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Modern Family hasn't been quite up to snuff of it's first season, but it's still probably the best newtork sitcom out there... although, I gotta say, The Office is having a nice rebound season and Community is always solid.

Have you seen Raising Hope? It's pretty great.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you seen Raising Hope? It's pretty great.

i've heard that. haven't seen it though. i already waste too much time on TV and my DVRs seemingly too full for a new show right now.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sorry. Have really tried hard to watch this show. It has it's moments for sure. I love some of the characters. However, the funniest show on TV?? I think not. For me there is no in between with this show. I either think the episode is funny or not funny at all.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Felt the Halloween episode tried way too hard. This season has been a let down compared to last but it is still a solid show. It is not the funniest in the tv landscape and is slowly moving down the list.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I gotta disagree. I thought the Halloween episode was an instant classic. But to each their own. :)

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
This show is way to up and down this season. I found this last episode extremely disappointing. Way too much was predictable. Don't get me wrong there were funny parts but this is no where near the show they were doing last season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This show is way to up and down this season. I found this last episode extremely disappointing. Way too much was predictable. Don't get me wrong there were funny parts but this is no where near the show they were doing last season.

Disagree completely. Still the best half hour comedy on television. Not zany like Raising Hope or Community, but definitely hilarious. There are some shows where the laughs don't come as often, but they had that last year as well.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree completely. Still the best half hour comedy on television. Not zany like Raising Hope or Community, but definitely hilarious. There are some shows where the laughs don't come as often, but they had that last year as well.

The thing about Community in my eyes is that it gets better and better. Modern Family has been pretty funny this year, but there are a few low spots. Last night was pretty bad. The touchy-feely mother-in-law...lame...appendicitis...ugh...

I know it's not the same thing at a half-hour sitcom, but I'd much rather watch Parenthood right now than Modern Family...it has it's own laughs but is also amazingly heartwarming.

Community is #1 Chappy! :)

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
This was a pretty weak effort for the show, especially coming off such a long break. The Cam/Mitchell story was awful. Claire/Phil was extremely up and down. Their conversation at the bar was great but everything else was predictable and unfunny. The Haley/Manny thing was just plain creepy. Do the writers really want to go down that road? The only thing that saved this episode was the Jay/Gloria. Ed O'neill's impersonation of Gloria was outstanding.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This was a pretty weak effort for the show, especially coming off such a long break. The Cam/Mitchell story was awful. Claire/Phil was extremely up and down. Their conversation at the bar was great but everything else was predictable and unfunny. The Haley/Manny thing was just plain creepy. Do the writers really want to go down that road? The only thing that saved this episode was the Jay/Gloria. Ed O'neill's impersonation of Gloria was outstanding.

Completely disagree. Hilarious episode. Cam walking out of the elevator was hilarious, and every line that Clive had was comedy gold.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Completely disagree. Hilarious episode. Cam walking out of the elevator was hilarious, and every line that Clive had was comedy gold.

I agree. I think expectations are bit high for every show now that if it's not wet-your-pants funny it's not good.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Totally agree. Cam was channeling 1960 Frank Sinatra when he walked out of that elevator. The walk, the attitude. You could hear the "ring-a-ding, ding" in his brain. Perfect.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
this isn't the first time they've dealt with manny/haley and I don't think they are going down any road per se, just playing on teenage emotions and the general akwardness that comes with it

overall I thought it was pretty good - I didn't like it as much as my wife did .... i was a little dubious of them bringing back clive & juliana - but found it to be pretty funny as well, including the scene of "should we just ignore this"