Modern Family (ABC)

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I really enjoyed this season and look forward to the next .... it's funny how Phil morphed into one of my favorite characters

I think it's a good cast with good chemistry and some of the stuff they write in there just cracks me up

Stuff like the moon landing or the various positions he was in with the dog butler

There is not one character on the show i dont like, they all are funny in different ways, i definitely laugh out loud more with modern family then i have with any other show since the first few seasons of the office

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
It was picked up for a 2nd season if you didn't hear. There are just so many small moments that make me laugh. I do like McHale but you are right Troy and Abed are the best part of the show. Chevy Chase is also hilarious in the show.

I didnt hear that and those talks were after the first few episodes, it hit its stride about halfway in but still think they under utilize the best assests on the show and that includes senor chang.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't watch many sit-coms so I hadn't seen it until a couple of weeks ago. Laughed like a crazy fool. Terrific writing.

Now I have to catch up on all the episodes I missed.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
but still think they under utilize the best assests on the show and that includes senor chang.

I disagree with you there. Guys like Senor Chang, Dean Pelton, Starburns, Leonard, and even Pierce you can only have so much of them. If you use them too often they will lose their luster and just become annoying. I think they have found the right amount of time for each character. Obviously once in a while you can use a guy more but then the next few episodes that character needs to be seen very little.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
When the wife sees Phil on TV at the game and calls him, and sees him ignoring her call, that was priceless. My wife laughed for 10 minutes. She probably wouldn't be if she knew I did that to her at Cards games.

Seriously, for water-cooler talk, this show has got to be the most relatable on TV. Every week, people at my office are telling stories about how they were in a similar situation (like teaching the wife how to use the entertainment system, or sibling rivalries, or idiot husbands).

Just a great show. The Emmy race for comedy will be tight this year.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
LOL Yes, it's that kind of show. But please tell me no one has told you about how they left their baby on the elevator. :)

When I was 16 I left my 3 year old cousin on a hospital elevator. What can I say I thought she was right behind me. Pressed the button to see if she was still there when it came back down, she was not. Went to every floor until I found her playing with a vending machine on the top floor.

I didn't tell her mom about it until 10 years later. Cousin thought it was hilarious, mother did not.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Decent opening episode. Everything that I find wrong with the show was seen in this episode. The worst problem with the show continues to be the voice-over at the end of the show. It especially is bad considering how they wrapped up the story and gave you a good message when the family was walking home. There was no need for them to beat the 'message' into your head. My other issue with the show continues to be the character of Luke. I have no problems with the kid but the role is awful. I know he is supposed to be stupid but come on, can we see he has a little bit of brain power?

Besides those there were some good moments in the episode. I really like the storyline with the building of the castle. It is always nice to see Cam play the straight man. Also I could watch Sofia Vergara make chocolate milk any day of the week.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I have no issue with it ..... was pretty much a staple of 80s sitcoms - the feel good message to tie it all in .... maybe wasn't always a voiceover the way this is because of the interview style .... but you'd have a character kind of deliver it all the same

with that said wasn't the greatest episode - some funny moments though

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
"Leave it to the gays to raise the only underachieving Asian in America" :D

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I think what this show does that is brilliant is that it reaches across generations and types of humor appreciation - while keeping a coherent program

i've been in a restaurant hearing a table my grandparents age talk about one aspect of the show, shortly after my friends and I were talking about a completely different angle

you come on line and it seems like different parts resonate with different people

pretty tough task to pull off

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"Leave it to the gays to raise the only underachieving Asian in America" :D

That was a brilliant line. Best part of the show for me is that they deal with cross-culturalism without worrying about being PC. They just portray how it is out there in the real world.

The episode where Lily's Asian doctor was talking about Asian sterotypes and then backed into the trash cans just about did me in. Perfect.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Mitch: "Leave it to the gays to raise the only under-achieving Asian in America."

Luke: "One second, I'm about to beat dad's record."
Phil: "You heard your mother!"

Cam: "What did she say?"
Mitch: "She says to buy her a Blackberry."
Cam: "Lilly doesn't have the dexterity for that Claire! What is happening?!"

Manny: "Who are you really mad at Larry? The dog or your wife?"
Larry: "Who the hell is this kid?"

Phil: "For the next week I may as well be Amish. Jedediah Dunphy. Raising barns, witnessing murders, making electric fireplace hearts."

lol @ Alex wanting a new computer, Haley wanting a new car, and Luke only wanting chicken pot pie.

Gloria killing the rat was awesome. Then heading straight to church.

Alex: "What's the difference between a gamete and a zygote."
Phil: "Don't fall for it Claire, she's just making up words."

Manny: "I like how Hemingway gets to the point."
Jay: "You like a lot of his stuff?"
Manny: "That was a hint Jay."

Cam: "Take a chance? That sounds chancy."

Manny: "Is that the rat shovel...Well let's do this quick. If she catches us we're as dead as that dog probably is...Don't call me a rat, she kills rats!"

Haley killed it at the end. That was so awesome. And Cam pretending to be a Native American at the end, haha.

Gloria: "No way he is going to my village. I was in two car accidents when I was leaving there. Both times I hit a goat. One was hurt pretty bad, but it was a good thing I had that shovel in the trunk."

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
While there were a bunch of good one liners I thought this was a fairly weak episode. Cam and Mitchell's story line was pretty bad (aside from the raising the baby line, that was fantastic). I thought the other two were decent but nothing special. And the parrot thing, I didn't find it funny. The montage they showed after the remark made me cringe. Hoping next weeks episode is better.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
While there were a bunch of good one liners I thought this was a fairly weak episode. Cam and Mitchell's story line was pretty bad (aside from the raising the baby line, that was fantastic). I thought the other two were decent but nothing special. And the parrot thing, I didn't find it funny. The montage they showed after the remark made me cringe. Hoping next weeks episode is better.

Are you real, or a robot?? :D