Mock Draft has Cards taking OLB Zaven Collins, Tulsa

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Charlie Campbell Senior Draft Analyst on the Walter football site has a mock draft today showing the Cards taking Zaven Collins. Interesting write up that I thought I would share. Might be a good pick.

Arizona Cardinals: Zaven Collins, OLB, Tulsa
The Cardinals are said to like Collins a lot, and he makes sense for Steve Keim. Collins fits in with the high-upside versatile athletes Keim has drafted in the past, like Isaiah Simmons, Kyler Murray, Haason Reddick, Robert Nkemdiche and D.J. Humphries. Collins can play inside linebacker, drop into coverage, and rush off the edge with Chandler Jones and J.J. Watt.

Collins had a strong 2020 season, recording four sacks, four interceptions, two passes broken up, two forced fumbles and 54 tackles. He made a lot of highlight-reel plays, such as a 95-yard pick-six in overtime to top Tulane. In 2019, he totaled 97 tackles with two sacks. He had 85 stops and 1.5 sacks in 2018.

The 6-foot-4, 260-pound Collins has a good skill set for the next level and looked massively improved in terms of his pass-rush ability in 2020. He is big, quick, and a versatile athlete also showing the ability to drop into coverage. Team sources are raving about Collins and think he could be a Sam - strong side - linebacker or Mike - middle - linebacker in a 4-3 defense or play outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I stated in another thread, I like the idea of he and Simmons paired up like we did (for such an unfortunately short period) with Dansby and Washington.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Disappointment. Major disappointment, especially if Newsome or AVT is still on the board.

I guarantee this clown Keim will draft him to be Hicks’ replacement & not at OLB.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Like the player but hate the positional value and don't trust Vance to get the most out of him. Similar to Parsons. In a vacuum, it isn't terrible. When you consider the Cardinals situation it becomes disappointing.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
On PFT this morning, they were reviewing Simms' mock draft and he has a DT from Alabama at 16 to the Cards. Florio spoke up and mentioned he's talked to someone that says if Surtain, Horn and one of the Wars (I think...can't remember name) are off the board at 16, then Zevon is the pick. They really want to pair him with Simmons.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A great all round LB that can cover, rush the passer and stop the run can be more involved in the game than most any other player on defense and thus influence the game more.

Potentially having 2 guys that can do both and being set there for the long term is not an unattractive proposition.

On saying that, there are more valuable positions and if one of those guys is there and it fills a hole we should go with one of them, but if not we could do much worse than Collins.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't want him per se, but I do want a good football player period, and I think Collins can be a real good football player. That's something I've noticed when I look at years the Cardinals missed...sometimes walking away with a good football player is key, and there are guys every year that will obviously be good NFL players. I think Collins fits into this category.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Aye do you guys remember y’all was going to war vs me with that 1970s ILB we drafted last year lol

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
This post would fit into any thread discussing tomorrow's draft, who we should draft, trades (up or down), or so many other ones.

Basicly, we naturally are questioning who we value in the draft, who we may or may not choose, etc. But in fact, the only thing truly relevant is how did we get into the position of having so many major needs and so few draft picks (&/or salary cap limitations). Who do we blame? How do we fix the problem long term? Since he has been here for so long now, how much of the blame should be attributed to Keim, as opposed to say luck or unluckiness, pure chance, or someone or something else?

We do not have a strong, deep, or even really good team. And as fans we keep visualizing that its getting better, and that we are just a few players away. But each year we seem to have so many holes to fill compared to draft picks. At best we seem to be running in place from year to year, with the occasional backslide as good players move on, retire, or get injured. We never seem to be in a position of 'power' so to speak.

Sorrowfully, the draft has become nothing more than a vehicle for us to dream of a situation that never comes to fruition. It's like a funny three stooges movie where every time they plug a hole in the dam water begins shooting out of 2 or 3 more. We, like a couple of the other usual franchises, never seem to be playing the game from a position of strength.

Just one time I would love for us to be in a position like the Jets or Jags this year, with a real chance to completely change the direction of their franchise. And if Keim isn't savvy enough to make that happen, then maybe we need to find someone who is.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this could be Keims last hurrah. They won’t say it out loud. But how many years should a GM get to rebuild a team.
Keim failed miserably 3 years ago believing we could keep the band together paying millions to Bradford AND Glennon. Then hiring Wilks. He runs this team like a fan.
Then he trades draft choices to obtain players to fill holes where he failed.
On top of all that his failure at the draft has put us in a position where ALL of his free agents and the first two picks this year must all hit.

And they won’t. Thus we are staring at an 8-9 season if we’re lucky. But I’ll be watching.

Last edited:

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I can see more aggressive moves because Keim has to know that its playoffs or bust. He (and Kliff) might not be around next year if we have another disappointing season. I would have fired both last year because I have little faith in either...but hey, we might as well go all in this year and see if we can pull something off.

If Keim wants to trade up thats fine. We need to come out of this draft with 2 players that contribute pretty significantly next year. How he pulls that off is anyones guess.

My moves....
Try you hardest to trade up for Jamar Chase.
Take a late rounder bruiser at RB to give us some beef...maybe Stevenson out of Oklahoma.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see more aggressive moves because Keim has to know that its playoffs or bust. He (and Kliff) might not be around next year if we have another disappointing season. I would have fired both last year because I have little faith in either...but hey, we might as well go all in this year and see if we can pull something off.

If Keim wants to trade up thats fine. We need to come out of this draft with 2 players that contribute pretty significantly next year. How he pulls that off is anyones guess.

My moves....
Try you hardest to trade up for Jamar Chase.
Take a late rounder bruiser at RB to give us some beef...maybe Stevenson out of Oklahoma.
At what cost do we trade up? Trade away some more valuable future draft picks and strap a new incoming GM?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of all the players estimated to be available at #16 Collins is the one I think will be the best pro. I think he has a high ceiling and a high floor. So I'm good with it if it goes that way.

However, I do expect one of the players not expected to be there to fall.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim should be viewing CBs like he does ILB & vice versa ffs. Damn clown.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It would be a very Keimy move to draft a top OLB and try to stick him at ILB.
Just like Simmons last year, it’s another “Smartest person in the room” pick by Keim.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
3 tweener Linebackers drafted in the top 20 in the past 5 years

how does that not scare you

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
All of the mock drafts seem to have Zaven Collins. Crazy. I don't recall any having us pass on Devonta or Waddle for him though which would be the big shocker.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
At what cost do we trade up? Trade away some more valuable future draft picks and strap a new incoming GM?

if you are Keim, and you know that you need to win next year to stick around -- does your 2022 1st rounder really matter?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
if you are Keim, and you know that you need to win next year to stick around -- does your 2022 1st rounder really matter?
It sure doesn't. He doesn't deserve this level of credit, but I really struggle to see Keim stick at 16 and pick Zaven Collins. It seems too lazy of a move for a GM and HC with so much on the line.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
You may have noticed there's a third guy at the draft table, Michael Bidwill, and he certainly will be around next season.
yes

although we alternately want an owner who just lets football people make football decisions, but also an owner who tells football people what to do sometimes (snark not aimed at you QC)

the scenario is that the player you want-- lets say its Waddle -- is pitched as the next Tyreek Hill without the off the field baggage -- a player that will instantly become a top 3 punt returner and quickly a dangerous weapon to pair with DHOP. Totally worth burning next year's #1-- which will be in the late 20s anyway!

if an owner is going to tell his GM he cant do that, he might as well fire him right there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave