Mitch Mock 4 Rounds Updated w/ 2 Trade Downs

Monty

2010 Cardinals Draft Guru
Reaction score
Monty, what's your take on Donald Butler? I've read so many conflicting scouting reports on him. Harry said he hears the Cardinals like him. I just haven't had the sense he is on the Cardinals' radar. Do you?

To the board: any insights on ILB Donald Butler, Washington?

The rap I've heard is that he's a fine athlete who's not as tough as you'd want playing the inside.

Im a bit unsure about Butler as i havent seen anything from him apart from one game last year and my memories of that are a bit vivid. From what i remember he is very guick and closes into the plays very quickly but is not good at dealing with blockers at all. When he does get to the runner he tackled too high and doesnt execute his tackle well neither. He is better in man coverage one and one and does follow the play well from the backfield. Because of these contradicting skills of his im not sure where he projects in 3-4 but i think he could be a long term WILB project as his general skills project better there long term. I will say that i think he is abit underrated and imho he should be gone before the end of the 4th but i could see him slipping as he is still under the radar somewhat. Havent heard him even mentioned as a possible Cards pick by anyone but if we were to pick him in the 4th round id be happy with as i think he could be moulded into a solid contributor and eventual starter.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Nothing about trading down, it's a great idea, but the new draft schedule format SUCKS OUT LOUD! Think about it...if we have to wait a few hours just to find out that we traded out of the first round, so then we have to wait until the next day for our first pick? ARGHHH!

:edit: I won't even get to see the first few picks of the draft because I'll still be at work and then on my way home. Good job NFL.

:rantover:

Looks good Mitch.

I totally agree, earthsci.

It will be tougher for teams to trade out of the first round on Prime Time and thus greatly disappoint and frustrate their fans.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Im a bit unsure about Butler as i havent seen anything from him apart from one game last year and my memories of that are a bit vivid. From what i remember he is very guick and closes into the plays very quickly but is not good at dealing with blockers at all. When he does get to the runner he tackled too high and doesnt execute his tackle well neither. He is better in man coverage one and one and does follow the play well from the backfield. Because of these contradicting skills of his im not sure where he projects in 3-4 but i think he could be a long term WILB project as his general skills project better there long term. I will say that i think he is abit underrated and imho he should be gone before the end of the 4th but i could see him slipping as he is still under the radar somewhat. Havent heard him even mentioned as a possible Cards pick by anyone but if we were to pick him in the 4th round id be happy with as i think he could be moulded into a solid contributor and eventual starter.

Great stuff, Monty.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
41. Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri
58. Jerome Murphy, CB, South Florida
71. Corey Wootton, DE, Northwestern
88. Linval Joseph, DT, East Carolina
89. Donald Butler, LB, Washington
107. J.D. Walton, C, Baylor
123. Al Woods, DT, LSU
134. Jonathon Crompton, QB, Tenn
178. Brandon James - KR/WR
195. O’Brien Schofield – OLB - Wisconson
233. Michael Tepper - G/T - Cal

That's one heckuva draft, MadCard! Great job!

Monty

2010 Cardinals Draft Guru
Reaction score

It will be tougher for teams to trade out of the first round on Prime Time and thus greatly disappoint and frustrate their fans.

Im not sure teams will really think twice about trading down if they genuinely feel better value can be gained by trading down and picking up further picks. They'll be more concerned about ensuring that they pick the best players they can, then they will be about fans being disappointed about not picking on day one. if for example we did the trades you wrote about Mitch, and we pickup top players with the extra picks fans will forget about their anger of the Cards not picking on day one within a week and will be happy about the talent we came with and that is the teams focus.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Hey y'all...I just heard that the Cardinals are in the hunt for DE Osi Umenyiora (Giants). Any buyers?

Asking price: 3-4 rounder.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Thanks, Stout. I'm fine with Spoon as well. It was a tough choice, seeing as the Cardinals appear to be very interested in Washington.

I agree with it Mitch. Not saying that makes it right, but I agree with taking Washington for the future WILB position.

I think Washington is the guy for the position, even if he is "weak". If John Lott can put weight on DRC he can put it on anyone. :D

I really like this mock draft, if it happened to pan out this way I would be very happy.

I'm with you guys. I like Washington alot and actually think he'll be better then Weatherspoon. Watch him read the play compared to Weatherspoon.

Love the post Mitch. But Im calling my shot. Cardinals are trading up and McClain will be the pick. Just fits what they need and you can then make the argument the Cardinals actually UPGRADED from Dansby and Rolle.

McClain is Pat Willis light.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Hey y'all...I just heard that the Cardinals are in the hunt for DE Osi Umenyiora (Giants). Any buyers?

Umm yes please. Where did you hear that if I may ask?

The trade of Scheffler has me thinking the Broncos are just absolutely cleaning shop, and Dumervill maybe had for the right price. Dumervil for Cody Brown and a #2 anybody?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Great work Mitch.

I've also said a # of times, that I think that we have so many players of need rated closely together, that if the call comes down when we pick, I don't think they'll hesitate to get the extra picks this yr.

OR someone rated outstanding just needs to be there. I don't think that will happen as the players on our board should be bunched VERY TIGHTLY when we pick.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good stuff. I think I'd rather have tebow than the 2nd trade though. However he's probably gone in the 1st round. I feel there's a lot of smoke around tebow.

One of the great things about your lb picks is that if either of them aren't there, there's a backup not too far behind and not a reach. (weatherspoon and spikes)

...and we get the Stay Puft marshmallow man. I wonder what lott could do with this guy.

If we can get some competent higher/mid round lb's and stay puft I think we had a stellar defense draft right there.

If we don't go tebow, I like the skelton pick as well. I haven't scouted the Qb's nearly as much as others this year, but from what I've seen if their name isn't Tebow or Skelton, you might as well just sign a veteran and wait for next year. Besides his throwing motion, I just don't see how this guy isn't the consensus top draft pick. I see him as a potential nfl game changer, and if you can get him even at 26, it's a steal. I'd rather have it be 2nd round, but that's hoping for fusion and world peace at the same time I think. Just my opinion, tebow has talent other QB's only dream of. He knows how to USE his talent BRAIN WISE which already puts him above imo 1/2 or more super talented people.

I think a year or three out a lot of people are going to be kicking themselves for not drafting this kid in the lower first or second rounds. Besides if we know anything, hard work and desire are the most important things to an NFL player. So he's got TWO things going for him. The prototypical QB body AND the desire to be one of the best. I'd take a chance on him. (as compared to less talented, 1000x less motivated Jam Russ who was picked 1st overall)....and he's a champion. His size and stature is alot like big *****, without the rape. He also fills our spiritual void from the loss of KW. One god guy leaves, another takes his place. Maybe stupid, but sounds a bit fitting (whether you believe or not).

I was watching nfl network yesterday and they said AOA seems to be flying up the charts so I don't think he'll be available in the 4th. But we can hope.

These are the kind of drafts that build multi-year championship runs....and we don't need a 50 million dollar bonus baby.

I guess the thinking though on the 2nd trade is that Oak or SD would take Tebow?

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Stop teasing us Mitch...at least you could tell us where you heard this.:D

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Stop teasing us Mitch...at least you could tell us where you heard this.:D

I heard this on ESPN radio...something to the effect that teams "believed to be showing interest" are the Panthers, Dolphins, Rams, Raiders, Bears and Cardinals. It might have just been a projection. We'll see. And it seemed contingent on the Giants adding another pass rusher early in the draft.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I heard this on ESPN radio...something to the effect that teams "believed to be showing interest" are the Panthers, Dolphins, Rams, Raiders, Bears and Cardinals. It might have just been a projection. We'll see. And it seemed contingent on the Giants adding another pass rusher early in the draft.

And I read on KFFL that the Giants have no interest in trading him. Ah, can you feel it? The draft is almost here, and the winds of rumor are swirling everywhere. No one will know if what any NFL personnel say is true...until Sunday :)

BIRDGANG
Reaction score

I can honestly say I think frustrating the fans is #50 on the Cardinals top 50 reasons why they wouldn't trade out of the 1st if the opportunity presented itself list. But anyhow I like your draft, I'd be very happy with that. Just don't forget about Jamar Chaney (ILB Miss. State), I used F3 to search through and saw you didn't have him in there. The only reason I say that is because I think he is one of the better LB's that will be around when we draft in the 2nd and maybe 3rd. Other than that small nitpicking detail, good job! I don't have the patience to put together a complete first round mock, let alone to go as far as you did!