Mike Leach?

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It looks like the Pac-12 will become the Pac-16 and it also looks like Mike Stoops might not make it to next year. If Stoops is fired, does Byrne look at Mike Leach? He won at Texas Tech, he would win at the UofA.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Supposedly the Byrne family has some connections to Mike Bellotti...at least one rumor I've heard...

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
No thanks to Leach...

Always hated Belotti, but for UA thats a huge hire

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Mike Leach? Isn't he the Cardinals Long Snapper?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I can say that with almost 100% certainty that Arizona won't be calling Mike Leach. Doesn't fit Greg Byrne's profile. They need to make some sort of move though since recess is over and it looks like the conference is going to be adding two or three premiere football schools. Same goes for ASU.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
That is true, Bellotti worked under Byrne's father when he was Oregon. Greg was at Oregon for a time as well in the AD with Bellotti. Tim Deruyter is another name. West Coast guy who is now at A&M and is killing it over there. Again Greg Byrne's father now is his boss over there so another connection. Both Deruyter and and Bellotti have terrific resumes covering the entire new Pac-16 footprint.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only downside with Belotti is that he's 60 and you don't know how long he'll want to coach, but he'd be a class pick.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
He's 100% done though with a losing record.

I cant even wish that upon talents like Criner and Foles. Two game changing players that are saddled by poor recruiting, no depth on defense, and piss poor coaching.

What a waste.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It will likely be a coordinator. There's really no head coaches we can afford with ties out West that would be a big improvement.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will likely be a coordinator. There's really no head coaches we can afford with ties out West that would be a big improvement.

That's always the biggest challenge for schools in our region. Some fans have delusions of grandeur that a Texas coach could recruit Texas from Arizona. I think Stoops will even tell you that's a hell of a lot harder than it looks, and the realization of how far away Arizona is from central/eastern Texas is a killer for kids that come on visits.

Unlike basketball, I don't think you need to hire a head coach that has ties to the West, but he sure as hell better hire a staff full of assistants who do. Worst possible scenario is a new head coach learning the ropes and trying to make new connections in SoCal, where it's a cutthroat, negative recruiting position from Day 1. The problem is football coaches tend to run in small circles with the same connections -- you don't usually see head coaches taking over a new program and hiring assistants they've never worked with.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Feelers have already begun going out from that I gather. One name I heard was Rich Rod although I doubt the money is there.

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
I would love to See Rich Rod come here. The difference between Michigan and Arizona, is we have the spread type of players already in place for his system. He could do wonders for Matt Scott. Your comment about money makes me wonder who else would give Rich Rod a sizeable contract. I'm sure he chomping at the bit to get back into a BCS program and won't be too picky. That said, I'm still waiting to see how Stoops finishes out this season.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I don't know how Stoops gets to 7-5 which is what it will take to keep his job.

Rich Rod would be able to utilize Matt Scott but after that there's nobody that can run his offense. We're also behind on defensive recruiting especially in the front seven so that will take a couple years to put back into place. It's not the dumpster fire that Stoops inherited from Mackovic but there are definitely going to be some holes to fill on the roster. Good thing is the Pac-12 South is going nowhere fast. ASU graduates over half their two deep and Erickson is getting up there in age, USC is still lagging and will lose Barkley, UCLA will have a new coach, and CU and Utah don't have the personnel either.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks Rich Rodriguez has a recruiting problem? I think reputations like his die hard.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Isn't Leach involved in a lawsuit with ESPN?

That would probably hinder our chances of getting any games on ABC or ESPN if he's hired.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cats are getting blown out by Oregon State. This loss has put the final nail in Stoops' cofin. Right now the only win I see the Cats getting is against Louisiana Lafayette. What sucks about hiring a new coach means most of the recruits will go somewhere else and this year's recruiting class looks pretty solid.