Media reaction to the Kolb trade...

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
From NFL.Com...
The bottom line here: If the Cardinals believe Kolb is a franchise quarterback, as the Eagles did when they traded Donovan McNabb away 16 months ago, then they had to pull the trigger on this one. All that was at stake was the life of the resurgence they've experienced under general manager Rod Graves and coach Ken Whisenhunt.

Kolb's not for everyone, to be sure. Quarterback-needy teams like the Seattle Seahawks and Miami Dolphins flat-out passed, and opinion is split on whether he'll ever make it, which is why some got sticker shock when the Eagles put him on the block.

"In my mind, he's worth a two on the high end," said one AFC personnel executive. "Arizona just forfeited what could've been a real good corner tandem -- They drafted (Patrick) Peterson, remember. I thought the guy was worth no more than a two, and the Eagles got a two and commodities. So I'd give the edge to the Eagles."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-have-overpaid-for-kolb-but-had-little-choice

From Yahoo...
Fact is, it’s hard to really discern from his on-field performances if Kolb is any good. He has thrown a total of 319 passes in four years (more than half of them last season). That’s about half a season of work in the NFL. His rating of 73.2 is neither great nor awful. His 11 passing TDs to 14 INTs is bad, but not exactly an indictment.

The jury isn’t out on Kolb; it barely has finished listening to opening arguments.

But understand this: The Cardinals had no choice but to overpay for Kolb and his mediocre results. If they didn’t, wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald(notes) was going to walk after this season (he can’t be tagged as a franchise player under a clause in his contract). Not that Fitzgerald told the Cardinals what to do. He didn’t have to. If the Cardinals didn’t show that they were committed to improving the team, Fitzgerald would be gone.

Thus, there was no other way to go. The Cardinals had to go big.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_grading_nfl_qb_moves_072811

From SI.com...
The Cardinals gave up a lot to get Kolb in sending a 2012 second-round pick and former Pro Bowl cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to Philadelphia. But they had to. After watching the likes of Derek Anderson, Max Hall and John Skelton struggle at quarterback in the first year of the post-Kurt Warner era, Whisenhunt learned anew the most important reality of today's NFL: If you don't have a quarterback, you don't have a chance.

If Kolb performs like the franchise quarterback the Cardinals obviously think he is, Arizona is right back in contention in the mild, mild NFC West, having filled its biggest need in bold and dramatic fashion. If he doesn't, and Kolb's play looks as uneven as he has been in his limited previous opportunities, the Cardinals will have made a long-term investment in a player who didn't deserve such a step of faith. Either way, this may be the personnel decision that winds up defining Whisenhunt's tenure in the desert. For better or worse.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/07/28/kevin-kolb-snap-judgments/

From Philly.com...
The anticlimactic trade that had the Eagles ship quarterback Kevin Kolb to the Arizona Cardinals for cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a 2012 second-round draft pick was finally announced Thursday.

For many months, Kolb, the Eagles, and their fans were held hostage by the NFL lockout, but when dealings could be done, the trigger remained cocked for two days. The parameters were already in place - Kolb for Rodgers-Cromartie - but further compensation for the Eagles led to a standoff.

It's impossible to say for now who fleeced whom, or if there was any fleecing at all. But the general consensus has already favored the Eagles, who pulled off a lopsided deal a year earlier when they traded quarterback Donovan McNabb to the Washington Redskins.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/126370893.html

From AZCentral...
Kolb has played in just 19 games in his four-year career. Nineteen. He has an 11-to-14 touchdown-to-interception ratio and was relegated to play back-up behind a quarterback, Michael Vick, who recently had spent nearly two years in prison.

A risk? You bet. But it is one the Cardinals had to take.

They could not win with the quarterbacks on their roster. They proved that last season, stumbling their way to a losing record after back-to-back playoff seasons under Kurt Warner, who retired. They had to find someone new, and among all the options - from free agents to college players in the NFL draft to quarterbacks on teams willing to deal - Kolb stood out.

Management will take heat for spending this much, when in reality, it should be applauded. An organization that for decades was dinged for being cheap was anything but on Thursday. Team president Michael Bidwill supported the quest to fill the team's biggest hole and pulled out his checkbook to do so.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/car...izona-cardinals-kevin-kolb-gamble-boivin.html

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
I feel the same way as most of the media. We got taken to the cleaners. Hope I am wrong.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
More from NFL.com...
If the Cardinals didn't give up what they did, they would be in the same situation it was last season when they went through three ineffective quarterbacks and finished last in the NFC West. I salute them their bold move.

Whether Kolb turns out to be Schaub, we'll see. Having Larry Fitzgerald will help. He's got a lot of what the Cardinals need on offense, including leadership skills. He's got some proving to do but the move shouldn't be bashed. Anyone who saw the type of team Arizona had last season understands that Kolb's an upgrade at quarterback.

The Eagles got rich, that's for sure. Rodgers-Cromartie is a solid cover guy but he's not a big tackler. Philadelphia is going to have to be sturdy at outside linebacker and safety to make up for the lack of punch it'll have at corner when it comes to tackling in the open field.

Seems to me most of the media understands what the Cardinals did and have a "wait and see" approach to how it should be graded.

Second Deck

Registered
Reaction score
CKW and Graves ability to spot to talent has not been very impressive. I also beleive the Cards got taken to the cleaners. Would have kept DRC and went for Orton with a draft pick.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I feel the same way as most of the media. We got taken to the cleaners. Hope I am wrong.

My thoughts exactly. If Philly needed a CB why did we not even the trade out a bit. We give DRC and a 2nd. Philly gives up a Kolb and a 3rd or 4th.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
More from NFL.com...

Seems to me most of the media understands what the Cardinals did and have a "wait and see" approach to how it should be graded.

Precisely.

More "wait-and-see" from them, then quite a few members of this board.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like Herm Edwards Likes to Say...

You play to win the game.

(i.e. You don't play to impress the media).

To hash over and rehash the merits of the Kolb signing is like running a hot needle back and forth through your thumb.

Kolb is our QB. (El toothpaste no returno el tubo). Let's see what he can do before judging the move. Like Satchel Paige once said: "Don't look back (someone might be gaining on you").

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
It is 50/50 We over paid but we screwed the pooch at the QB position, and then all the others signed and we were as desperate as any team since US in 2007 when Testerverde declined and we signed Tim and Tim off the couch.

I think the contract is fair, but a pro bowl 1st round pick, and a 2nd! Has any other team ever paid that for any other player?

Whiz's interview seemed well STUPID to me, He said he talked to Andy Reid a lot, all week and Reid told Whiz that Kolb was the 2nd coming! Now i wish he would have talked to Coughlin, Garrett or Shanahan all week, if not Parcells or Schotenheimer, But No HE TALKED TO REID ALL WEEK!

Talk about taking the canary to the kitty
or the Cardinal to the Eagle in this case.

Now Whiz has blew up QB evaluations from Big Ben forward, just flat has not got a clue, So he leans on Reid's expertise, But Whats Reid gonna say? really

I prefer an ex con dog fighter over the guy I drafted and developed over the last 5 years, but Hey he is 3-4 with a couple good games 2 or 3 years ago!

Kolb is our QB, I'll go to war for him, But In Whiz I don't trust, until he runs the ball and goes to the playoffs with his own player evaluations, Not Denny Greens.

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. Schlereth & Greensburg both thought it was a trade that will benefit both teams. Did you watch any Cardinal games last year? Bottom line, you can't win in the NFL without a QB. The Eagles took the REDSKINS to the cleaners with the McNabb trade last year, which put them in a no lose situation with this trade. There's risk for the Cardinals, but it's a risk they had to take. Personally, I think Kolb will be better than anticipated.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is 50/50 We over paid but we screwed the pooch at the QB position, and then all the others signed and we were as desperate as any team since US in 2007 when Testerverde declined and we signed Tim and Tim off the couch.

I think the contract is fair, but a pro bowl 1st round pick, and a 2nd! Has any other team ever paid that for any other player?

Whiz's interview seemed well STUPID to me, He said he talked to Andy Reid a lot, all week and Reid told Whiz that Kolb was the 2nd coming! Now i wish he would have talked to Coughlin, Garrett or Shanahan all week, if not Parcells or Schotenheimer, But No HE TALKED TO REID ALL WEEK!

Talk about taking the canary to the kitty
or the Cardinal to the Eagle in this case.

Now Whiz has blew up QB evaluations from Big Ben forward, just flat has not got a clue, So he leans on Reid's expertise, But Whats Reid gonna say? really

I prefer an ex con dog fighter over the guy I drafted and developed over the last 5 years, but Hey he is 3-4 with a couple good games 2 or 3 years ago!

Kolb is our QB, I'll go to war for him, But In Whiz I don't trust, until he runs the ball and goes to the playoffs with his own player evaluations, Not Denny Greens.
hater

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were a few callers to Philly radio that said "I guess it was and okay trade for us."

chickenhead

Reaction score
I'm just glad the Cards went out and got the guy they wanted. That in itself is a change from much of their history in Arizona.

**Unless they really did want Boomer, Kreig, etc.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Which DRC will the Eagles see.......................the one who played well enough to be a Pro-Bowl CB or the DRC who half-ass tackles,has brainfarts in the game or just simply coasts.After DRCs performance last season showed nothing is a sure thing.Time will tell.As for the media liking or disliking the deal.who gives a Rats Ass?

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
We needed a QB bad, don't like what we gave up but oh well, it's done so it is what it is. My only hope is that in 6 or so weeks we aren't having a million threads with "our Def sucks or Our secondary lost the game for us again"....I have a bad feeling about that tho

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Which DRC will the Eagles see.......................the one who played well enough to be a Pro-Bowl CB or the DRC who half-ass tackles,has brainfarts in the game or just simply coasts.After DRCs performance last season showed nothing is a sure thing.Time will tell.As for the media liking or disliking the deal.who gives a Rats Ass?

One of Reids greatest attributes is one of Wiz's greatest weaknesses: coaching up players and maximizing talent. I have no doubt Reid will get the most out of DRC and make him into the corner we all wished he would be here.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
One of Reids greatest attributes is one of Wiz's greatest weaknesses: coaching up players and maximizing talent. I have no doubt Reid will get the most out of DRC and make him into the corner we all wished he would be here.

Can he make DRC tackle and hustle the whole game?

THESMEL

Reaction score
Ouch

Thanks, Red

So did you see the interview? Whiz went to Reid for reid's QB evaluation, He said it not me! Never mind that Reid's selling him on giving up our first pro bowl 1st round draft pick since........ Fitz.

So if Kolb does great we all win, If he doesn't , that damn Andy Reid!

I know it was the right thing to do, but that is why Reid is a constantly successful HC and we are rebuilding from scratch after our first Superbowl.

Maybe this is where we turn the corner, and start spitting out quality players and developing new players, Like the Steelers, We have UFA Max, Stephen Williams, Komar, lets see if they can follow in Lyles foot steps?

I hate the situation-s, but I hope.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Reid sure had a problem coaching up some of their cbs or they would not have needed someone opposite Asante Samuel, but I do agree to an extent when it comes to QBs

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

As for DRC being any good in Philly who gives a Plummer? To me its like a baseball team that is blowing leads in the 9th and has no choice but to deal for a closer to remain in contention and has to give up a good young outfielder plus a prospect to get him.

Now lets hope Kolb doesn't turn out to be like all the closers the baseball Cardinals keep running out there.

THESMEL

Reaction score
well

eagles fans, give a Plummer why not Cards fans.
I was at the NFCC game in Arizona, I remeber it well. And so do the Eagles fans.

As for DRC being any good in Philly who gives a Plummer? To me its like a baseball team that is blowing leads in the 9th and has no choice but to deal for a closer to remain in contention and has to give up a good young outfielder plus a prospect to get him.

Now lets hope Kolb doesn't turn out to be like all the closers the baseball Cardinals keep running out there.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
eagles fans, give a Plummer why not Cards fans.
I was at the NFCC game in Arizona, I remember it well. And so do the Eagles fans.

Could someone who speaks THESMEL please interpret this.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort