MCU: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOLWUT?

Scot Mendelson hasn't given a good review to an MCU movie since Infinity War.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

yeah... I was surprised to see Mendehlson listed in that group. I usually think he's pretty spot on with his reviews.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't trust most of the reviews from the access media at all. This list is full of shills who's opinions are usually wrong. Comicbook.com, collider, Scott Mendelson, John Campea, etc. always come across as studio mouth pieces. They all said similar stuff about Black Widow, Rise of Skywalker, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman '84, etc. They might end up being right but I'm going to wait for some reviews from people that I trust a lot more.

Mendelson killed Skywalker... like with a flame-thrower. Same with 84 and was a big ball of meh on Captain Marvel.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
yeah... I was surprised to see Mendehlson listed in that group. I usually think he's pretty spot on with his reviews.

Honestly he didn't belong in that list for those movies. I haven't paid much attention to him after The Last Jedi when he first gave it a glowing review called it The Dark Knight of Starwars. That alone is a cardinal sin. ;) But then in the aftermath of TLJ he was one of the guys running with the "anyone that doesn't like it is a toxic manbaby" narrative that was being pushed. Everything that was going on at that time caused me to write him and his opinions off. Googling him it looks like he's walked some of that back now.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't trust most of the reviews from the access media at all. This list is full of shills who's opinions are usually wrong. Comicbook.com, collider, Scott Mendelson, John Campea, etc. always come across as studio mouth pieces. They all said similar stuff about Black Widow, Rise of Skywalker, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman '84, etc. They might end up being right but I'm going to wait for some reviews from people that I trust a lot more.
Scott Mendelson also has a hard on for hating on Star Wars. That guy sucks!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This was so much fun. The choreography was incredible, intricately-wrought, at times a dance, at times a seduction, and at times just "Oh schnap, that was awesome!" Rich in story, great writing, great acting, some good laughs. Something different from Marvel with enough to connect to the Marvel 'verse.

OP
OP
carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
My son and I watched this earlier and enjoyed it thoroughly.

The pace was good, the action was well-choreographed and it paid homage to the various fighting styles used in Hong-Kong cinema: The elegant style used in Wuxia fighting, a-la Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and the more practical and slapstick style that, for example, Jackie Chan used in many of his movies. Not surprising, since the late Brad Allan, one of Jackie's more prolific proteges, was the fight coordinator for this movie.

The humor was also well-placed and wasn't too much, which I was worried about, since they cast Awkafina as a lead and also involved Ronny Chieng who are both known for being comedians.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hidden Dragon, and the more practical and slapstick style that, for example, Jackie Chan used in many of his movies. Not surprising, since the late Brad Allan, one of Jackie's more prolific proteges, was the fight coordinator for this movie.

The humor was also well-placed and wasn't too much, which I was worried about, since they cast Awkafina as a lead and also involved Ronny Chieng who are both known for being comedians.

I missed that news, sorry to hear he passed away. It may not be one of Jackie's best but for some reason we get a kick out "Gorgeous", probably Brad's biggest role in a Jackie Chan movie.

OP
OP
carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
I missed that news, sorry to hear he passed away. It may not be one of Jackie's best but for some reason we get a kick out "Gorgeous", probably Brad's biggest role in a Jackie Chan movie.

Yeah, the big fight in that movie was awesome. And yeah, Brad passed almost a month ago now. :(

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the big fight in that movie was awesome. And yeah, Brad passed almost a month ago now. :(

Yeah both of the fight sequences with Brad in that movie are very entertaining. Obviously the big return match is better, both the fight and the humor.

OP
OP
carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score

Shang-Chi broke Labor Day weekend records, apparently with a 90-mil opening weekend.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

Shang-Chi broke Labor Day weekend records, apparently with a 90-mil opening weekend.

Do they usually include Monday in the "weekend" numbers when it's a holiday? That 90m is projecting tomorrow's numbers and adding it to the first 4 days (Thursday to Sunday was $71.4m). Usually the opening weekend is the Thursday to Sunday numbers.

OP
OP
carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Do they usually include Monday in the "weekend" numbers when it's a holiday? That 90m is projecting tomorrow's numbers and adding it to the first 4 days (Thursday to Sunday was $71.4m). Usually the opening weekend is the Thursday to Sunday numbers.

That's why it's specific to Labor Day records, since Mondays are usually included in those numbers.

Also, Labor Day has usually been a bad weekend to release movies in the past.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

for holiday weekends, yeah.

it smashed through predictions of a 50-60 million dollar opening weekend.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This was so much fun. The choreography was incredible, intricately-wrought, at times a dance, at times a seduction, and at times just "Oh schnap, that was awesome!" Rich in story, great writing, great acting, some good laughs. Something different from Marvel with enough to connect to the Marvel 'verse.

Absolutely agreed. It laid a lot more groundwork for future movies than I figured it would, and it was hilarious how they dealt with the Mandarin from Iron Man 3.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
R/T...92% from critics, 98% from audiences.

Hope to see it Thursday....

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just sat down hoping it lives up to the hype

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea this was fantastic. Even Aquafina couldn’t bring it down for me. choreography in the actions scenes was amazing and the cinematography was plain awesome. Well acted. It was well written and funny. The whole thing was so well paced. Immediately shoots towards the top of marvel movies I’ve seen imo.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Man I hope this doesn’t go Beetlejuice on me. I had heard so many great things about Beetlejuice that I was actually disappointed when I finally saw it (still love it today though). The hype here is likewise getting me too excited.

OP
OP
carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Yea this was fantastic. Even Aquafina couldn’t bring it down for me. choreography in the actions scenes was amazing and the cinematography was plain awesome. Well acted. It was well written and funny. The whole thing was so well paced. Immediately shoots towards the top of marvel movies I’ve seen imo.

BIM = Awkafina. No, really. ;)

But yeah, I mentioned this elsewhere, but I was wondering how many gags this movie would have between Awkwafina and Ronnie Chieng, which are both known comedians. I was worried that it'd get too corny because of them.

But this movie used them just the right amount, which I commend the director on.

OP
OP
carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
I guess chemistry does do wonders for how a film comes out:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Fan-freaking-tastic. Terrific story. Compelling acting. Beautiful from beginning to end. Just really awesome overall.

the martial arts seemed faster than normal, which made it seem more realistic. The movements were also quite mesmerizing. Beautiful is the word I keep returning to when thinking about this movie.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just seen this yesterday and I’m not as high on it as my brother who says it’s top 3 but I put it at number 9. Yes we ranked the Marvel movies after this.

it’s pretty damn good the end fight scene is really up there. I didn’t know much about the character coming in but left a fan and wanting to see more.

up next Venom