MCU: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s actually not really good.

I think I read it’s the lowest Marvel May opener in a decade. And off 25% from Guardians 2, which goes against the recent string of Marvel threequels besting the sequel’s opening weekend.

We’ll see if this has legs, but it does seem like Superhero Fatigue might really be settling in. Guardians was originally a big surprise clocking in at 94 million in its opening weekend. But it’s success catipulted them to a 146 million opening weekend for the sequel and made them as much a part of the Infiniti War Saga as anyone else.

Falling 25% for what was sold as the Guardians grand finale couldn’t be what the Mouse House was hoping for.
What's also interesting is that GOTG 3 has better audience scores that 1 or 2 (1=92%, 2=87%, 3-95%). I don't know what's up..... I just know that I really loved the movie.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
What's also interesting is that GOTG 3 has better audience scores that 1 or 2 (1=92%, 2=87%, 3-95%). I don't know what's up..... I just know that I really loved the movie.
It's too soon to trust the audience score IMO. Because of the Marvelstans, the MCU movies always start out high and then will drop down to their final level. They're the reason why the movies always have the big box office drop between week 1 and 2 too. Everything is front loaded by the rabid fans.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's too soon to trust the audience score IMO. Because of the Marvelstans, the MCU movies always start out high and then will drop down to their final level. They're the reason why the movies always have the big box office drop between week 1 and 2 too. Everything is front loaded by the rabid fans.
Hmm, those of us that saw and liked it are also part of the audience, no? Or do we not count?

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Hmm, those of us that saw and liked it are also part of the audience, no? Or do we not count?
When did I say you didn't count? I'm saying that that cohort overwhelms the initial number.

Also, maybe you're in the cohort. ;)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm seeing it again with a different friend tonight. I'll be able to see what his reaction and feedback is, get a second blush reaction from myself, and relive all the fun and feels a second time around.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing it again with a different friend tonight. I'll be able to see what his reaction and feedback is, get a second blush reaction from myself, and relive all the fun and feels a second time around.

If you can make it dry-eyed through the scene where Rocket discovers the baby raccoons, then you are one cold hearted SOB.... :D I'm going back for a second dose myself.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can make it dry-eyed through the scene where Rocket discovers the baby raccoons, then you are one cold hearted SOB.... :D I'm going back for a second dose myself.
I had no problem with that scene but not for the reasons you think.
For a split second I was "ahhhh" then my mind went directly to that SOB is experimenting on babies. So, I didn't get teary eyed at all.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'll revise my opinion here after a second viewing last night, as I think my other friend's negativity was rubbing off on me. While I liked it a lot despite perceived flaws last week, I loved it even though I still had a few niggles last night. Sooo much fun. Still felt some slight sag in the middle and the spoiler below, but man, what a fun/heart-rending romp. Magnificent capper to the series. My third fave, but waaay better than any other stuff Marvel is putting out right now. Like, worlds and worlds beyond Ant Man and such. Well, galaxies beyond :D

Still didn't love them benching modern Rocket for 2/3 of the film. I cannot legitimately say how Gunn would have worked in the backstory otherwise, though which was essential.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, only 50% will be a really good showing. Pretty much everything MCU has been 60+% drops in the 2nd weekend. Even Endgame was 59%. If the 50% holds I think that it shows that people are burning out on the MCU formula but will come back for something good.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
It ended up dropping only 48% for the 2nd weekend. That's pretty impressive given the box office has been going. It's amazing for how MCU movies have been performing and really good compared to anything not named Mario or Top Gun.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was sweet, gave everyone signature moments except Gamorra, breezed through 2.5 hours, but no where near 2 or 1.

Last end credits super lame. Gamorra being shoe horned into a complete bitch to juxtapose against all of Nebulas character development didn't fit any part of her entire character arc. All of Adam Warlock sucked.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cosmo the dog was a better character than Gamorra in this movie. Not sure I will get over that.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ravagers also made zero sense at all. Peter is a well known Ravager on Yondu's crew. Yondu completely redeemed at the end of 2. Why are they rolling up all hard on Peter early in the movie?

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

It was an awesome movie. Both funny and sad all at the same time.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The Ravagers also made zero sense at all. Peter is a well known Ravager on Yondu's crew. Yondu completely redeemed at the end of 2. Why are they rolling up all hard on Peter early in the movie?

I think it was due to Gramora.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'll revise my opinion here after a second viewing last night, as I think my other friend's negativity was rubbing off on me. While I liked it a lot despite perceived flaws last week, I loved it even though I still had a few niggles last night. Sooo much fun. Still felt some slight sag in the middle and the spoiler below, but man, what a fun/heart-rending romp. Magnificent capper to the series. My third fave, but waaay better than any other stuff Marvel is putting out right now. Like, worlds and worlds beyond Ant Man and such. Well, galaxies beyond :D

Still didn't love them benching modern Rocket for 2/3 of the film. I cannot legitimately say how Gunn would have worked in the backstory otherwise, though which was essential.

We all know after watching the movie, Rocket's character isn't even close to being over.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't paying attention. However, this doesn't feel like the typical marketing blitz for a Marvel movie this time around. I remember seeing trailers and stuff but this felt so low key in terms of marketing. Not sure if that is a legit view but maybe that's why it isn't the juggernaut, I think this should be. It's a great movie.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose