Max Garcia signing with the Arizona Cardinals

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I can say about Max Garcia, is I liked him out of college. Nasty demeanor and can play guard and center. So, I am happy with the signing. 5th year in the league, so we have have the optimistic view that he has "learned" the NFL game and reap the benefits of him learning his trade with another team, and him being a more polished product. He 27 years old, so he is in his prime, yet he is coming off an ACL injury, so he is going to be a PUP guy until, at least 6 games into the season, one would think.

He is going to challenge Shipley, Sweezy and Colby Gossett for a roster spot, or even a starting spot, IMHO. So, not a "splash" guy, but may be a solid contributor

On paper the OL is looking like, at least so far:

LT: Humphries
LG: Pugh
OC: Cole
RG: Sweezy
RT: Gilbert

OT: Cunningham
OG: Garcia
OC: Shipley

Not sure how much of an improvement we are looking at but this what is, it is shaping up to be.

LT: Humphries
LG: Sweezy
OC: Cole
RG: Pugh
RT: Gilbert

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Pugh didn’t have the cap ramifications I think he would be gone. Going to be interesting to see who plays LG as Pugh reportedly told Gambo he will be playing LG next year. I was thinking Fluker would be a good signing with how well he and Sweezy played guiding the SEA rushing attack but at least they added another veteran OL.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Garcia adds more depth for the OL which is a big need. Still need to get more help in the draft.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I think they are keeping Pugh at RG... reports say Sweezy was much better on the left side.

That would be a very Cardinal like move. LOL. Pugh played MUCH better as a LG in NY.

But, if that is what is getting reported, so be it.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Looks like a marked improvement to me over street FAs :)

VERY true.

To be fair a lot of those off the street FA, were caused by injuries, and the line I noted earlier in the post has a bunch of injury prone players on it, so we get to look forward to a whole new group of street free agents this year. Thank goodness for the AAF, at least they are getting players some work in for us during the offseason.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who knows. Mike Clay had an updated availability list on Twitter and he wasn't even in the top 10 to 15 Centers/Guards available. FWIW.... Iupati was ranked 4th best still available.
Doesn't say much for the FA offensive lineman pool.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Nasty run blocker, just like Sweezy. A culture change might be coming. I like it.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The entire O line needs replacing ....
RT - Gilbert - injured very high potential
G - Max - Torn ACL - recent

Not exactly the overhaul that makes DJ or Rosen say 'yippie'.

Cards got A LOT more to do to move on from being the worst O line in the NFL.

Rosen was hit over 200 times last year and sacked 45 times....he can't survive another season like that...shoot no qb could.

The best news the Cards have is the new O line coach is VERY VERY good...but you can't exactly ask a chef to make a 5 star meal with one piece of bread and a fig newton.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the radio yesterday, the said that Pugh will be playing LG this year and that Sweezy will be the RG.

If we are making decisions without even an ounce of training camps and mini camps, that's already a problem in my eyes.

although I guess with enough film study you could probably decide beforehand

:shrug:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Coming off a torn ACL in November? Really man? Come on Keim wtf dude :bang:

I swear Keim spends almost everyday scouring the local hospitals & NFL IR lists to select Oline lol :madarms: Good Lord dude really...again? As Chris Carter used to say Come on man

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson