Mavericks @ Suns Tuesday Playoff game thread, R2, 5-10-2022 - Game 5

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Listen I love Amare but he was pathetic on defense he had no concept of where to be and he made no effort at all on the boards.

BUT I don’t blame him. It’s the system he came in to. D’Antoni made no effort to even coach defense. So I don’t blame Amare at all.
Amare averaged 9 to 9.6 reb per game as a Sun. Ayton is basically 10 to 11.5. It's not the drubbing you paint it to be. And again, I remember Amare blocking shots to win games (In Sacramento) but of course, he wasn't a defensive demon. One thing you never had to worry about was his force of nature will on offense. It was legendary.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
You figure something good is going to happen.

Get Luka in foul trouble

Booker scores

They have to help and we swing the ball to get an open shot

Luka get tired

I mean what’s the downside!
Hate to say it, but I put a lot of this on Paul. He should be able to figure this out and create these types of opportunities… But man he looks exhausted. He only has 1 official turnover, but he really should have 3-4 more. He’s made some seriously lazy passes that luckily didn’t end up as a turnover…

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't try to defend his defense, just saying you're wrong on his rebounding. He absolutely should have been better but he averaged 8.9 boards per game for Phoenix, there are many (MANY) worse PF/Center rebounders than him.
Especially since he was an undersized center. Ayton this season averaged 1 more rebound than Amare (pre injuries). Big whoop.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but I put a lot of this on Paul. He should be able to figure this out and create these types of opportunities… But man he looks exhausted. He only has 1 official turnover, but he really should have 3-4 more. He’s made some seriously lazy passes that luckily didn’t end up as a turnover…
100%

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll be surprised if finishes with those numbers. He typically has worse numbers after halftime and Monty is obviously losses at him yanking him after that horrible no-dunk fiasco. Just doesn’t seem like he’s even got any fire to ignite in Ayton tonight.
It could go either way. Sometimes if he's pitiful on defense he steps it up in the 2nd half but given that he's had decent numbers, he might have deluded himself into thinking he's not the problem - something he's capable of doing.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't try to defend his defense, just saying you're wrong on his rebounding. He absolutely should have been better but he averaged 8.9 boards per game for Phoenix, there are many (MANY) worse PF/Center rebounders than him.

With his talent?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Paul is cooked

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doncic pushed Bridges down!

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
SHut up Reggie about Mikal's games played. Just STHU BRO!