Mavericks @ Suns Sunday Playoff game thread, R2, 5-15-2022 - Game 7

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be points
That he’s never averaged in any of his four seasons.

See this is why discussing anything Ayton with you is so hard. There are cold hard FACTS that you straight out inflate beyond the subjective claim that Ayton’s elite defensively even though he’s not an elite rebounder, shot blocker and just got Gobert’d in the one series he did almost live up to your mythical 20/10… which was actually 19/9. And I’m pretty sure you regularly TRASH Amare for that level of rebounding.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've moved on and am actually feeling better. Not snappy and pissy lol
That's the good and ugly being a Suns fan...cloud 9 when they win and in the dumps when they lose...My wife could tell just by the look on my face when she came home...I'm sorry hunny lol
Sometimes I wish I hated sports

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

See this is why discussing anything Ayton with you is so hard. There are cold hard FACTS that you straight out inflate beyond the subjective claim that Ayton’s elite defensively even though he’s not an elite rebounder, shot blocker and just got Gobert’d in the one series he did almost live up to your mythical 20/10… which was actually 19/9. And I’m pretty sure you regularly TRASH Amare for that level of rebounding.
Actually if amare would’ve averaged 19 points Finito would’ve trashed him for that too.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was all over people being overcritical with Ayton but I didn't go slinslin. I regularly called out what he wasn't good at and what he struggled at. I don't know about you guys but the overall #1 pick? I want more like 25/12 out of Ayton but that evidently isn't realistic.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd trade Ayton for a milkshake and a beer at this point. Number 1 pick is soft as hell.. I apologize to all the posters who I called out for their critique of him. Just was hoping he would turn the corner ...he never will

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s the issue… if you pay Ayton to be your anchor, your D is going to be soft. It’s just that simple.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You again?

Is Bam an elite defender?

He got Gobert’ed? Ayton in the Dallas series had games of
25/8
16/11
14/11
20/9
21/11

He was actually our most consistent player but tell me how he was useless and got Gobert’ed. oh that’s right none of the Suns being able to play perimeter defense was Ayton’s fault.

Booker leaving his man in the corner? Ayton’s fault

Paul being abused? Ayton’s fault

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd trade Ayton for a milkshake and a beer at this point. Number 1 pick is soft as hell.. I apologize to all the posters who I called out for their critique of him. Just was hoping he would turn the corner ...he never will
I think he turned a corner yesterday.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You again?

Is Bam an elite defender?

He got Gobert’ed? Ayton in the Dallas series had games of
25/8
16/11
14/11
20/9
21/11

He was actually our most consistent player but tell me how he was useless and got Gobert’ed. oh that’s right none of the Suns being able to play perimeter defense was Ayton’s fault.

Booker leaving his man in the corner? Ayton’s fault

Paul being abused? Ayton’s fault

Ayton’s averages for the series. But yeah, 20/10 . . .

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not really. The disconnect here is I accept players for who they are. I accept things in general for what they are.
You would’ve crucified him for not being who he was, which was a a high volume scorer.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just listening to Dallas radio (I know I am gluten for punishment). After Game 5 the Mavs made a huge adjustment. They felt that Booker was nullifying Luka. So, they felt if they could trap Booker every single time, he touched the ball that put all the pressure on the other guys they had a great chance. They didn't seem that worried about Paul, Ayton or our other role players. The felt the one player they had to shut down was Book.

So, take that for what it is. It's the ultimate respect for Book and a great gameplan that worked to a "T". That matches what the sideline reports said they heard the Mavs coaches saying, "anybody but Book". That was the plan and strategy by the Mavs. As a result, we were -19 and -41 respectively with Book on the floor after the adjustment.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just listening to Dallas radio (I know I am gluten for punishment). After Game 5 the Mavs made a huge adjustment. They felt that Booker was nullifying Luka. So, they felt if they could trap Booker every single time, he touched the ball that put all the pressure on the other guys they had a great chance. They didn't seem that worried about Paul, Ayton or our other role players. The felt the one player they had to shut down was Book.

So, take that for what it is. It's the ultimate respect for Book and a great gameplan that worked to a "T". That matches what the sideline reports said they heard the Mavs coaches saying, "anybody but Book". That was the plan and strategy by the Mavs. As a result, we were -19 and -41 respectively with Book on the floor after the adjustment.

If Booker can’t deal with a double team then he has business even being an all star.

You know how you stop that? By recognizing the double is coming and swinging the ball. Something this team was legitimately great at the last two years. Finding the open man and making the shot. To act like Booker just started getting doubled is ridiculous.

You have to make them pay for double teaming. We couldn’t we acted like we forgot how to play basketball, our shooters went ice cold and we were a turnover machine

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

It worked because they ONLY had to stop Booker. Something was up w CP3? It LOOKED like Avocado broke him. Booker needs some help, someone to consistently take the pressure off him. You know someone that doesn't only shoot after the 3rd quarter or in clutch time.
Maybe they could try actually drawing up plays for DA and start using him like a center, we don't need any more half assed 3nD guys WE EFING got that!(needs an upgrade tho)
Lets get some guys on the bench that Monte can actually play without losing a lead.

I'm at a loss. Maybe LeBron is the answer. He and CP3 can race Rascals around the 5G center.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ayton’s averages for the series. But yeah, 20/10 . . .

I said what I said. Well yeah game 7 everyone on the team was horrible that’s gonna bring everyone’s average down. He had got in foul trouble in game 2 but we didn’t need him we ran away with that game.

Are you saying Ayton was bad in the Dallas series?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Booker can’t deal with a double team then he has business even being an all star.

You know how you stop that? By recognizing the double is coming and swinging the ball. Something this team was legitimately great at the last two years. Finding the open man and making the shot. To act like Booker just started getting doubled is ridiculous.

You have to make them pay for double teaming. We couldn’t we acted like we forgot how to play basketball, our shooters went ice cold and we were a turnover machine
So now the coaching staff is lying about the adjustments for Game 6 and Game 7? My gosh. Occasionally double teaming him and making it a point in Game 6 and 7 is completely different. It came from the coaching staff's mouth but I guess in your mind you know better.

Book could have played better. No question. However, Paul was passing up shots and the Suns shot horribly overall. Book reverted back to old Point Book because he felt like had to do it all with how the rest of the team was playing. The Mavs were brilliant. Monty couldn't make the adjustment and played into the Mavs game plan. Point Book is a mess. We already know that. The Mavs evidently knew it too.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Any criticism of the roster begins with CP3 and Mikal. CP3 the straw that stirs the drink for the offense. He literally played like a back up point guard towards the end. Mikal is supposed to be our Bruce Bowen on defense but looked overwhelmed and disinterested on both sides of the court. These two have clearly-defined roles and simply didn’t fulfill them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose