Mavericks @ Suns Sunday Playoff game thread, R2, 5-15-2022 - Game 7

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still a Book fan but the thing that really bugs me about Devin is the lack of humility sometimes. Be humble not arrogant. Having said that? I don't believe in this garbage about poking the bear. Luka was going to be Luka no matter who said what. Luka was consistent the entire run which is what Superstars do.

Also, I don’t believe Ayton ever steps back on the court in a Suns uniform. Right or wrong, He’s sign and traded, no doubt in my mind.
I agree. A deal gets worked out and he is traded. I was listening to the guys on the radio this morning. I guess I missed the article but Ayton talked about how he only gets 2 hours of sleep a night. :oops: . Now I am not so surprised about him being so lethargic and unfocused at times on the court.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saric is not on the same level as AD, Kawhi, or Jamal Murray. All those guys are top 2 players on their team while Dario was what, the 7th or 8th best Sun?

I was pointing out the Suns were missing a key player against the Bucks in Saric, not that they were comparable in talent to these players.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns should trade Ayton for Ben Simmons. I'm serious. That's the only path for this team to improve.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns should trade Ayton for Ben Simmons. I'm serious. That's the only path for this team to improve.
I just don't think that's the answer. At least DA is a likable person.

Right now, I'd trade Ayton for whatever real value we can get. But I'm not sure that an unlikable, one dimensional weak-willed guard in a forward's body is any kind of value and that's without considering his back problems.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You want to trade a 20/10 center for a guy who never plays and just had back surgery?

Riiiiiight

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns trade Ayton, they need to get a point guard out of the trade that can eventually take over for Chris Paul.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns trade Ayton, they need to get a point guard out of the trade that can eventually take over for Chris Paul.
Totally agree. That's the only way we are going to get a high impact PG IMO. I would also like to see them get a decent FC player in return. Doesn't have to be a star but a legit PF would be nice.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. That's the only way we are going to get a high impact PG IMO. I would also like to see them get a decent FC player in return. Doesn't have to be a star but a legit PF would be nice.

I guess we will find out the value of the Suns roster this summer.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I don't know. Those losses to Houston killed 11 and 12 year old me. In 94 we were up 2-0 returning to Phoenix for Games 3 and 4. In 95 we had a 3-1 lead. Two epic chokes with Jordan retired.
Yep. And we did it last year and again this year.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. And we did it last year and again this year.
It's sad but true. When I think of the Suns and all the years I have watched even the great teams? It's filled with heartbreak and "so close" moments.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I just don't think that's the answer. At least DA is a likable person.

Right now, I'd trade Ayton for whatever real value we can get. But I'm not sure that an unlikable, one dimensional weak-willed guard in a forward's body is any kind of value and that's without considering his back problems.

I think Simmons is a better player than Ayton and perhaps when he's the 3rd or 4th option his will doesn't matter as much. James Jones would never trade for a headcase like him though.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
These are some of the greatest things about social media these days... A kid like him with his cockiness/ego is gonna have this pie served for quite some time and hell just have to eat it. Things like this is how a young man hopefully learns to shut his mouth and just play.....or not. Who knows.
Who cares? That's who he is. He was talking trash in 30 point losses for 5 years. He's tough as hell and can lead a team to a championship. He owned the loss and didn't act like a sore loser.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny. Simmons is better than Ayton.
Ben has had more individual success, at least during the regular season, but I think you have to ignore his shortcomings in a manner that none of us are willing to do for Ayton to come to the conclusion that he's worth trading DA for.

Simmons is further along in his career, makes a lot more money than DA will and just had surgery on his back. And nobody disappeared more glaringly in the postseason than Ben did.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who cares? That's who he is. He was talking trash in 30 point losses for 5 years. He's tough as hell and can lead a team to a championship. He owned the loss and didn't act like a sore loser.
That's fair. Didn't argue against any of those points. I want the kid to be who he is. Fine. But he's still young/cocky/egotistical and he's going to learn from this as well. IMO. Sometimes life likes to check your ego hard when you run your mouth off hard constantly. We'll see.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ben has had more individual success, at least during the regular season, but I think you have to ignore his shortcomings in a manner that none of us are willing to do for Ayton to come to the conclusion that he's worth trading DA for.

Simmons is further along in his career, makes a lot more money than DA will and just had surgery on his back. And nobody disappeared more glaringly in the postseason than Ben did.
Just trying to think of high upside moves the Suns could make. A young 3x all star who plays elite defense and can pass the ball.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's fair. Didn't argue against any of those points. I want the kid to be who he is. Fine. But he's still young/cocky/egotistical and he's going to learn from this as well. IMO. Sometimes life likes to check your ego hard when you run your mouth off hard constantly. We'll see.

His mouth wrote a check that his ass could not cash. Simple as that.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ya, I'd guess he's probably embarrassed and would use it as motivation.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just trying to think of high upside moves the Suns could make. A young 3x all star who plays elite defense and can pass the ball.
I felt that way when I suggested the same possibility at the start of the season. But that was before Simmons missed an entire season and then had back surgery. I don't want a reclamation project that has as many physical and emotional issues as that man has even though yes, he's played like a superstar at times.

If there was a Ben Simmons kind of player out there that didn't also have scary health concerns, I'd go for it even if we think it's unlikely to work well for us. Because then we always have the option of trading at value near what we expended aquiring him.

AZ Fan

Rookie
Reaction score
With all the talk about trades and so on, I don’t think addresses the underlying problem. There’s something going on with the Sun’s mindset. Past teams have dominated regular season and won many conferences. But they’re not wired to go all the way imo (0 championships in 54 years). And fans have suggested teams quit before the job is done. I wish I had a solution to the problem.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's why you have a real Power Forward on your team in the playoffs. And a backup point guard.
We have the exact same needs we had at the start of this season. They tried to make Stix a PF and it failed, wasted draft pick for....Tori Craig WTF?
If we don't meet the teams needs it will be more of the same in the future, awesome season then get bullied in the playoffs.
I'm not upset or mad at all, I said at the start of the season we would win 63 games, I also said if we didn't have a competent PF it would be more of the same in the playoffs.
Kinda expected this. Not from Dallas but it is what it is.
Live and Learn.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oh I’m done with him. You got to show me when it counts now. I don’t care about his regular season or if he makes an all star game or MVP talk

He has to show it in the playoffs
That’s being a bit prisoner of the moment….Book is still an amazing player and we had a great season. But last night was an abomination. No one showed up. It wasn’t just him.

The kid scored 40 in back to back finals games. He’s 25. It sucks to lose for sure but I’m not going to jump ship on DBook. He’s got a lot to work on this offseason. However, EVERY great player has had failures in big moments.

This is only career defining if he lets it be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose