Mavericks @ Suns Sunday Playoff game thread, R2, 5-15-2022 - Game 7

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Make no mistake if this ends Sunday it will be one of the biggest flame outs in history. That’s how dominate we were during the regular season

I was listen to some podcast and they brought up Paul. They said it doesn’t look physical it looks mental. Like he’s checked out. They also brought up his comments after game 6 about how “it’s just basketball” and he had no advice for his young teammates. Your young players look to veterans in these times and when your leader looks checked out it’s throwing off the whole team.

It’s just really odd to see what’s happen to him.

It’s time for the young guys to carry Paul. Time for Book to step up and make it known it’s his team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m curious to see who’s the unexpected side hero of tomorrow’s Game 7. Seems like these games always have one role player who has an outsized impact on the game. Can Cam Johnson find his touch and be a flame thrower again? Is it a random Landry Shamet game where he hits a couple threes and has one of his baseline dunks?

You expect superstars to be great… but when those even out, who else steps up around them when the pressure is at it’s peak?

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m curious to see who’s the unexpected side hero of tomorrow’s Game 7. Seems like these games always have one role player who has an outsized impact on the game. Can Cam Johnson find his touch and be a flame thrower again? Is it a random Landry Shamet game where he hits a couple threes and has one of his baseline dunks?

You expect superstars to be great… but when those even out, who else steps up around them when the pressure is at it’s peak?
I’ll go ahead and say I think Cam J is going have a good game at least double digits scoring.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol anyone else tryin to make tod go slow,? Im just sooo nervous on tom man enjoyin few free suns stressing hrs playin nba 2k22 ps5 to chill.... try to

Really prayin correct please god team shows up tom mainly cp3 da we shall know soon ugh

Welpp goooo suns tom........ hope all have a decent sat

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I think this board was more optimistic when the Suns were a perpetual cellar dweller.

I believe game 7 will be the Suns finding their mojo and reminding everyone they had the best regular season in the league and had that position locked up for the final 2-3 weeks of the season.
Man, I hope so!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Make no mistake if this ends Sunday it will be one of the biggest flame outs in history. That’s how dominate we were during the regular season

I was listen to some podcast and they brought up Paul. They said it doesn’t look physical it looks mental. Like he’s checked out. They also brought up his comments after game 6 about how “it’s just basketball” and he had no advice for his young teammates. Your young players look to veterans in these times and when your leader looks checked out it’s throwing off the whole team.

It’s time for the young guys to carry Paul. Time for Book to step up and make it known it’s his team.
Paul was doing things in game 3, right after single-handedly dominating the Mavs in game 2, that makes me think there’s just some unexplainable weirdness with him in the playoffs. Bad luck with injuries have played a part but you can go back and look at his game logs throughout his career in the postseason and notice it. I’m expecting either an epic head-scratcher or virtuoso from him in game 7.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
sure, Paul "checked in" for career games a week ago, but just suddenly "checked out" this week because one of the games' great leaders and focused, clutch players is suddenly having a mental breakdown for some reason

anyone with any kind of common sense judgement of human character who has watched him for the past 180+ games would get that if he's not hyped-up it's because he's frustrated knowing there's no escaping his physical limitations right now

when was the last time we've seen him act oddly out of character? when he over-reacted and got tossed 2 months ago -- just before he was out for weeks rehabbing his hand

what's in-character for him is insisting on playing, and not sharing the degree of his problem with anyone. When the media asked him about his hand his reply was, "i'm good" -- that's NOT AN ANSWER to the question

there's some questions about character, all right, but, imo, it's not Paul's that is questionable

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Cam Johnson for the Suns. Spencer Dinwiddie for the Mavs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul was doing things in game 3, right after single-handedly dominating the Mavs in game 2, that makes me think there’s just some unexplainable weirdness with him in the playoffs. Bad luck with injuries have played a part but you can go back and look at his game logs throughout his career in the postseason and notice it. I’m expecting either an epic head-scratcher or virtuoso from him in game 7.
Yeah… he’s had/captained some of the most epic playoff flameouts ever.

If we lose this series, I think it will be his FOURTH series lost after taking a
2-0 lead. And back to back years for us.

Superbone

Reaction score
So, I’m starting to talk myself into some level of excitement for Sunday if for no other reason than to see if Booker has the stuff of legend in him.

He’s been fantastic all season and very good in the playoffs (although not GREAT), but Game 7 is where All-Timers make their mark. With Paul on what looks like last legs, I’m excited to see if Book has that in him to truly be the guy who can carry us a bonafide title contending #1 when Paul is gone.
Here's the thing though. The Mavs have been double teaming Book every time he touches the ball. This is their game plan to get the ball out of his hands. I don't know if he'll have the chance to show his greatness. He often holds the ball too long in these situations resulting in turnovers. His best game might be to distribute the ball efficiently out these traps and then it's up to the others to do their thing. They should have an advantage if played correctly. Book may have to pick his spots otherwise.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sure, Paul "checked in" for career games a week ago, but just suddenly "checked out" this week because one of the games' great leaders and focused, clutch players is suddenly having a mental breakdown for some reason

anyone with any kind of common sense judgement of human character who has watched him for the past 180+ games would get that if he's not hyped-up it's because he's frustrated knowing there's no escaping his physical limitations right now

when was the last time we've seen him act oddly out of character? when he over-reacted and got tossed 2 months ago -- just before he was out for weeks rehabbing his hand

what's in-character for him is insisting on playing, and not sharing the degree of his problem with anyone. When the media asked him about his hand his reply was, "i'm good" -- that's NOT AN ANSWER to the question

there's some questions about character, all right, but, imo, it's not Paul's that is questionable
This ain’t gonna be the first meltdown in CP3’s playoff career though. Go back and check him blowing I think TWO 3-1 series leads, and singlehandedly blowing a series against OKC with the Clippers on teams that continually underachieved.

That’s not a hit on his character. It’s just fact that he’s had a SUPER checkered playoff past. Some incredible highs (beating the Spurs on one leg on a game 7 buzzer beater classic, everything last year up until Game 3 in Milwaukee). But the knock on him has always been either too brittle physically to make it through the grind of regular season and playoffs or just bizarre collapses in the playoffs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing though. The Mavs have been double teaming Book every time he touches the ball. This is their game plan to get the ball out of his hands. I don't know if he'll have the chance to show his greatness. He often holds the ball too long in these situations resulting in turnovers. His best game might be to distribute the ball efficiently out these traps and then it's up to the others to do their thing. They should have an advantage if played correctly. Book may have to pick his spots otherwise.
Totally agree. He doesn’t have to score 40 to achieve greatness. He has to show greatness in other ways… play controlled, don’t get yourself in traps, have the rebounding game of your life, distribute, find ways to score and get fouls.

The best players of an era overcome the kitchen sink thrown at them. Tomorrow we find out if Book has actually reached that level. And that CAN even happen even in a loss.

Superbone

Reaction score

I'm all about the journey in all parts of life but yeah, no lie, it would be horrible to go out tomorrow and it would definitely "blow chunks." It would take me a while to recover. It feels like the Mavs are now finding themselves while we're a shell of the team that dominated the regular season. Still, I think we can take this and I'm glad that we have our rowdy crowd there to back them up. The Suns need to dig down deep. Book just can't lose to Doncic. He just can't. Ayton too for that matter based on their draft history.

Paul does concern me quite a lot. He seems to have lost his edge. His joy of playing basketball. I sure hope to see it return but I agree, in the meantime, his teammates need to step up and get him across the line.

Superbone

Reaction score
Lol anyone else tryin to make tod go slow,? Im just sooo nervous on tom man enjoyin few free suns stressing hrs playin nba 2k22 ps5 to chill.... try to

Really prayin correct please god team shows up tom mainly cp3 da we shall know soon ugh

Welpp goooo suns tom........ hope all have a decent sat
Nah, I'm the opposite. I want to get there and see what happens. Either elation or extreme sadness. I'd probably call in sick on Monday if we lose. The wait is killing me.