Matt - His Offseason - The Time For Growing

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
28-Feb-09Ryan Davidson: In remembrance of a true Trojan
Ryan Davidson’s impact is celebrated during a moving ceremony Saturday in Wisconsin

By Ben Malcolmson
USCRipsIt
PeteCarroll.com

You must be registered for see images

SUN PRAIRIE, Wis. — On a snowy morning in this small Wisconsin town, a very warm celebration honored the life of a person with an extremely large impact on those around him.

More than 300 family and friends took part Saturday in a powerfully moving memorial service for Ryan Edward Davidson, a teenager who first came out to USC in 2004 on a Make-A-Wish trip but soon became an eternally inspirational part of the Trojan Family.

Ryan battled cancer for 9½ years, surviving four brain surgeries and 60 rounds of radiation treatment, before passing away Feb. 19. But Saturday’s memorial service didn’t focus on his death — it instead focused on his life, his lasting impact and the hope that comes from such a fulfilled existence like Ryan’s.

“He will always bring us joy,” Coach Pete Carroll said during his five-minute speech. “We were the ones who were blessed by our relationship and friendship with Ryan. He will always be with us and always be a special part of our family.”

He only lived 16 years — to the day, since he passed away on the afternoon of his birthday on Feb. 19 — but if you evaluate a lifetime in terms of influence instead of years, Ryan without question lived an overflowing life.

The value and impact of Ryan’s life could begin to be measured by looking at the roster of speakers — a Heisman Trophy winner four weeks removed from the Super Bowl, the nation’s most prominent college football coach and an NFL executive.

Ryan taught those around him that you quantify life not in the years you live but in the lives you touch. During a video tribute to Ryan, a quote read, “to the world you might just be one person, but to one person, you might be the world.”

Thing is, Ryan was the world to way more than one person.

“We are better people because we have been inspired by a boy and his story,” Sun Prairie United Methodist Church pastor Susan Bresser said. “While cancer has taken his body far too soon, his spirit will continue to touch and inspire this world as long as there are people.”

“There’s so much to celebrate about Ryan’s life,” SPUMC pastor Scott Carlson said at the onset of the two-hour ceremony. “We will laugh, we will cry, and we will remember and thank God for Ryan’s life.”

Sun Prairie United Methodist Church was the setting for the gloriously uplifting service, which drew a standing-room-only crowd that stuffed into a quaint sun-filled sanctuary in this small community outside of Madison, Wis. The location was fitting considering the Trojans were once called the Fighting Methodists, and there might not have been a more appropriate description for Ryan.

Many of the 11 speakers in the two-hour ceremony referred to Ryan’s never-give-up attitude, glowing smile, sparkling eyes and contagious personality. Hope, joy and perseverance were common themes of the service, with Ryan continually lauded for living life to the fullest. And during his short time on earth, Ryan set an example of selflessness that melted even a Heisman Trophy winner.

“He was battling for his life but he was always more concerned with how other people were doing,” Matt Leinart said as he held back tears during a five-minute address. “He inspires me everyday.”

Leinart was just one in a line of speakers who spoke so highly of the 16-year-old boy who somehow had the impact of a lifetime on people young and old.

And Ryan’s reach stretched far and wide — from USC to Sun Prairie, Wis., to even the NFL headquarters in New York.

“He’s changed us all forever,” Nancy Gill, the NFL’s senior vice president of human resources, said during her brief address.

Dwan Johnson, an employee of the American Cancer Society who worked closely with Ryan during his fundraising campaign, spoke of Ryan’s desire to raise more money than ever before “so that no kid would ever have to go through what he battled.” Johnson excitedly shared of Ryan’s successes, as he has raised $35,181 this fiscal year alone and about $71,000 since he started his campaign four years ago.

Ryan’s close friend Spencer Leibl shared stories of the two of them playing video games all night and pulling pranks on neighbors.

“Ryan was a hero to everyone but we’ll always remember how good of a friend he was,” Leibl said.

Carroll’s heartfelt speech centered on the power of Ryan’s positive attitude and his undying spirit.

“He’s a remarkable young man; he never backed off,” Carroll said. “We always talk about maximizing your potential and being all you can be. Ryan Davidson has always done that.”

Carroll added that the 2009 home-opener will feature a pre-game ceremony for Ryan and that the Davidson family — Ryan’s parents, Kirby and Amy, and his 19-year-old sister Mallory — are always welcome to attend any game as a special guest of the program.

Leinart followed Carroll, and he talked about playing Halo and virtual golf with Ryan on his many trips to Arizona to watch the Cardinals. Leinart said Ryan taught him through their unlikely friendship to “never give up no matter what the challenges are.”

“He was the bravest, most courageous person I’ve ever met in my life,” a choked-up Leinart said before turning to the casket and addressing Ryan with tears welling up in his eyes. “I just feel blessed to be your friend. You will always be my friend. I love you.”

Ryan had not only won over the USC community, but he had also converted his hometown to become Trojan fans. Family and friends frequently said that the town was full of USC followers — all thanks to Ryan and his connection with the Trojans.

Ryan had won them over, just like he had won over the Trojan Family. The church was festooned with USC paraphernalia, the flower arrangements featured almost all cardinal-and-gold roses and the two pastors even wore specially designed stoles with USC-logoed fabric on one side.

But before Ryan spread his love of the Trojans to his hometown, he first embraced USC nearly five years ago. And USC in turn embraced him back.

Davidson attended the Cal game in 2004 and about one per year from there on out, going to the USC-Nebraska game in Lincoln in 2007 and then hitting a peak with the 2008 USC-Arizona State game last season.

Ryan received dire news of his spreading cancer just a week before, but that mid-October day might have been his most memorable. He was selected as an honorary game captain, held the sword and directed the band at the Friday pep rally, led the team out of the tunnel and even received the game ball following the Trojans’ 28-0 win that day.

“We believe the reason Ryan fought so long and so hard was because of the love and support he received from so many,” Kirby Davidson said during his address during the service.

Kirby Davidson also breathlessly talked about how Ryan never said “why me?” during his nearly decade-long fight with cancer. And because of that, along with so many other reasons, Ryan now has an impact that will live forever.

Following the memorial service, the attendees participated in a balloon release, which included a spine-tingling sight when a majestic hawk soared across the sky through the cardinal, gold and white balloons. Then, a graveside service consisted of a release of doves, a bagpiper playing “Amazing Grace” and a final casket viewing. As temperatures dipped near the single digits on a windy winter day, spirits soared high thanks to the warmth bestowed by remembering Ryan's life.

“Though Ryan is not physically with us, his spirit continues to bring us hope and peace,” said Carlson, one of the SPUMC pastors.

During his remarks at the memorial service, Kirby Davidson shared a recent quote from his son that epitomized Ryan’s life.

“Ryan told me, ‘I don’t even know why I’m such an inspiration to people,’” Kirby recollected. “‘I’m just being me.’”

Well then, thanks for being you, Ryan. You have inspired and touched us more than you could ever imagine.

More pics here.. http://www.petecarroll.com/index.cfm/pk/view/cd/NAA/cdid/413582/pid/400025

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Wow...great story. I think Matt has turned a monumental corner, in his maturation...and I see why he isn't coming out and demanding a trade. He's growing up.

Way to go!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson