Matt Barkley

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score
Matt Barkley had his first career start today and he was outstanding. He completed 28 of 54 attempts, threw for three touchdowns and had two interceptions. But the statistics do not tell the whole story. There were several - at least ten dropped passes- two of which should have led to touchdowns.

He had a commanding presence as well.

I was extremely disappointed the Cardinals did not keep him. It was a huge mistake.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
They should have won that game. His receivers dropped at least 3 TD passes and none of them were difficult catches. Barkley looked sharp.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Our worst fears are that BA and staff cannot actually develop QBs, only coach highly gifted first round picks

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Matt Barkley had his first career start today and he was outstanding. He completed 28 of 54 attempts, threw for three touchdowns and had two interceptions. But the statistics do not tell the whole story. There were several - at least ten dropped passes- two of which should have led to touchdowns.

He had a commanding presence as well.

I was extremely disappointed the Cardinals did not keep him. It was a huge mistake.

A statline of 5.9 YPA, 52% completion, 72.8 QB rating and 2 INTs is not "outstanding." It's not decent, even if you factor in all of the drops.

There are a number of problems with this season, but releasing Matt Barkley is not one of them.

I get fans are desperate to find the QBoF, and will hang on to any recognizable name out there, but Barkley is not it.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
A statline of 5.9 YPA, 52% completion, 72.8 QB rating and 2 INTs is not "outstanding." It's not decent, even if you factor in all of the drops.

There are a number of problems with this season, but releasing Matt Barkley is not one of them.

I get fans are desperate to find the QBoF, and will hang on to any recognizable name out there, but Barkley is not it.
so your saying you didn't see the game

that stat line would have been much different if Chicago had a wr who can catch,...dude was hitting them right in the mitts all day,...even at the end, for the game winner, he hits the wr right in the chest and the dude drops the ball..it was unbelievable... I don't know if it is his rotation or what but he played very well and damn near had to pass the ball, then run out and catch it for the wr

TJ

Reaction score
so your saying you didn't see the game

that stat line would have been much different if Chicago had a wr who can catch,...dude was hitting them right in the mitts all day,...even at the end, for the game winner, he hits the wr right in the chest and the dude drops the ball..it was unbelievable... I don't know if it is his rotation or what but he played very well and damn near had to pass the ball, then run out and catch it for the wr

Ive seen Barkley play numerous times in college and the pros to conclude that he isn't a starting QB in the NFL. Up-selling a garbage stat line doesn't prove otherwise, especially out of frustration over the season. Barkley doesn't have the arm strength, pocket presence, or accuracy to run a team. Think poor man's Kevin Kolb. Do you honestly believe this is a better team with Barkley instead of Palmer?

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ive seen Barkley play numerous times in college and the pros to conclude that he isn't a starting QB in the NFL. Up-selling a garbage stat line doesn't prove otherwise, especially out of frustration over the season. Barkley doesn't have the arm strength, pocket presence, or accuracy to run a team. Think poor man's Kevin Kolb. Do you honestly believe this is a better team with Barkley instead of Palmer?
Hit the nail on the head. I DID watch the game BTW

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
It really was unbelievable how many balls the Bears receivers dropped. I'm talking it was historically bad. Definitely over 10 total and several that should have been TDs.

I'm actually amazed that Barkley was able to keep his composure.

OP
OP
P

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score
In this game Barkley displayed each of the characteristics you criticize. He did show arm strength with the very first pass, his pocket presence was outstanding and his throws were extremely accurate. I don't know what pro games you are referring to but he was the Cardinal's best quarterback in the pr-season.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
In this game Barkley displayed each of the characteristics you criticize. He did show arm strength with the very first pass, his pocket presence was outstanding and his throws were extremely accurate. I don't know what pro games you are referring to but he was the Cardinal's best quarterback in the pr-season.

Barkley worked diligently on his arm strength with a QB guru this past off-season. Watching him yesterday only confirmed what Paso Fino, others and I saw and liked in Barkley during the pre-season. He was the best QB in the pre-season games---by far. Cutting him after giving up a draft pick to get him, was a poor decision. Plus, had the coaches built him up instead of tear him down, the Cardinals might have gotten some trade interest from other teams.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Tennessee was up 27-7 and started playing soft zone when Barkley started putting stats up. He's not a starting NFL QB.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Not a starter but better than Stanton...Should have kept him...
Based on what?

I'd be willing to bet 32 out of 32 teams would choose Stanton over Barkley. Of course, there's no way to prove it but Stanton has never been, to my recollection, worse than a #2 QB his entire career(maybe his rookie year) while Barkley has never been above a 3 without injuries.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on what?

I'd be willing to bet 32 out of 32 teams would choose Stanton over Barkley. Of course, there's no way to prove it but Stanton has never been, to my recollection, worse than a #2 QB his entire career(maybe his rookie year) while Barkley has never been above a 3 without injuries.

Based on Stanton's performance the last two year's...Barkley outplayed Stanton by a wide margin in preseason. Stanton has regressed in my opinion. I saw scrubs from many teams outplay Stanton in preseason...

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Based on Stanton's performance the last two year's...Barkley outplayed Stanton by a wide margin in preseason. Stanton has regressed in my opinion. I saw scrubs from many teams outplay Stanton in preseason...
Pre-season means nothing. He won his start this year and, I think 4 out of 6 a couple years ago. I'm fine with him as the backup. Teams would love that win% with their backup QB playing. I think Stanton is one of the better backup QB's in the league.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pre-season means nothing. He won his start this year and, I think 4 out of 6 a couple years ago. I'm fine with him as the backup. Teams would love that win% with their backup QB playing. I think Stanton is one of the better backup QB's in the league.

I shudder at the thought of him coming into the game. A couple of years ago he did play ok. Now he is lousy with no upside.

TJ

Reaction score

Keyword: Preseason.

There have been hundreds of QBs, many of whom played for AZ, who showed they could ball out in the preseason and then turtle in the regular season when faced against better competition and an open playbook.

I don't disagree that Barkley had a great preseason, but the team had a year to evaluate him and decided he was expendable, as did the Eagles previous to us. If preseason were a direct indicator of future success, we'd have a QB depth chart of Matt Barkley and Philip Sims.

A game in which Barkley completed 52% of his passes is neither a good nor sufficient sample size to prove that AZ "made a huge mistake" by releasing him.

Reaction score
I trust our coaches who are professionals & have been doing this for several years over fans on a message board being armchair coaches/GM's.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn