Masters of the Air (2024 - AppleTV)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I literally just finished watching Band of Brothers for the first time. I tried years ago, but couldn't get into the first episode. Stuck with it this time, and there are at least 2 episodes that are among the best war films/episodes I've ever seen. My favorite was the one centering on Doc. Just amazing.

I figured I have to wait to watch The Pacific and Masters of Air because I have high expectations based on BoB.
Band of Brothers was just incredible in pretty much every way IMO. Glad you finally watched it. The Pacific for me was decent and worth a watch. But it was certainly a VERY LARGE letdown based on expectations after BOB.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still really like this show. The story dialogue and casting can be inconsistent but it has really good parts.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
My buddy and I needed a new series and both really wanted to check this out. It...wasn't good. Nothing truly compelling about the show, and some really awful writing. "Hi, this is so and so, and I'm going to proceed to introduce you to every main character!" We just ended up BSing through the whole episode, and that was the end of that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy and I needed a new series and both really wanted to check this out. It...wasn't good. Nothing truly compelling about the show, and some really awful writing. "Hi, this is so and so, and I'm going to proceed to introduce you to every main character!" We just ended up BSing through the whole episode, and that was the end of that.
It took about five episodes before the show got good.

That’s not good.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was good but far from great. Just because you didn't really get attached to any of the characters. As I understand it, this was the end of the BOB series. Nothing stands up to the original series.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was good but far from great. Just because you didn't really get attached to any of the characters. As I understand it, this was the end of the BOB series. Nothing stands up to the original series.
yeah... outside of Buck and Bucky, the only characters that really got any shine were the Navigator (who just wasn't interesting in the least) and the spy he'd have rendezvous with (who I did like but was such a small piece of the show).

also, very very strange Barry Keoughan brief appearance.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It took about five episodes before the show got good.

That’s not good.
yeah... outside of Buck and Bucky, the only characters that really got any shine were the Navigator (who just wasn't interesting in the least) and the spy he'd have rendezvous with (who I did like but was such a small piece of the show).

also, very very strange Barry Keoughan brief appearance.
Was just wondering about where he went

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Just wrapped it up. The air fights I thought were top notch and pretty realistic. Outside of that, they didn’t really do any character development. I feel like we were introduced to a ton of people but no one really stuck around.

It is truly remarkable what these people had to go through, though.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wrapped it up. The air fights I thought were top notch and pretty realistic. Outside of that, they didn’t really do any character development. I feel like we were introduced to a ton of people but no one really stuck around.

To me that is the real value of the show, even though it didn't take the entire series for me to appreciate.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But after the two initial guys named Buck or Bubbles or Bill or whatever, the main characters are pretty wooden and I didn't care about them nearly as much.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I'm glad I sat through the closing credits of the last episode. Seeing photos of the cast and the real airmen, one after another, was really touching. Amazing generation of American heroes, for sure.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This show wasn't bad, but it was extremely disappointing.

Band of Brothers might be one of the best series ever, the Pacific had directing and writing on an almost parallel scale, but it is brutally depressing, especially the last couple episodes.

Masters of the Air had some good moments, and the action shots were well done, but there were only 4 characters that had any amount of screen time and they were paper thin personalities.

I knew more about roughly 10 different characters after 2 episodes of band of brothers than I did about everyone in this whole series.

The series either needed to be far more focused or more broad. IMO, they should have focused on one or 2 bomber crews, rather than a few officers (among an entire division) who all had basically the same job and the one off appearance of a few Tuskegee airmen, an appearance so meaningless and so brief that it was obvious pandering.

I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but an ardent history buff.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This show wasn't bad, but it was extremely disappointing.

Band of Brothers might be one of the best series ever, the Pacific had directing and writing on an almost parallel scale, but it is brutally depressing, especially the last couple episodes.

Masters of the Air had some good moments, and the action shots were well done, but there were only 4 characters that had any amount of screen time and they were paper thin personalities.

I knew more about roughly 10 different characters after 2 episodes of band of brothers than I did about everyone in this whole series.

The series either needed to be far more focused or more broad. IMO, they should have focused on one or 2 bomber crews, rather than a few officers (among an entire division) who all had basically the same job and the one off appearance of a few Tuskegee airmen, an appearance so meaningless and so brief that it was obvious pandering.

I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but an ardent history buff.
Agree about the red tails. I was shocked at how 2 dimensional they made that part of the story.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree about the red tails. I was shocked at how 2 dimensional they made that part of the story.
Felt like a diversity CYA… almost insultingly so. I’ll be honest… this series was below average.

If this didn’t have the pedigree of “From the people who brought you Band Of Brothers”, would any of us have actually gotten through the first four episodes? I probably wouldn’t have.

I only cared about the Bucks, yet never really loved either of them and one of their fates was repeatedly spoiled in the opening credits every episode.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Felt like a diversity CYA… almost insultingly so. I’ll be honest… this series was below average.

If this didn’t have the pedigree of “From the people who brought you Band Of Brothers”, would any of us have actually gotten through the first four episodes? I probably wouldn’t have.

I only cared about the Bucks, yet never really loved either of them and one of their fates was repeatedly spoiled in the opening credits every episode.
You should be honest all the time if you can, Mr. Cheese. :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair! The more I think about this show the less I like it. :)
It also just wastes really good talent in it, like Barry Keogan or Eric from Sex Education. Those guys showed up, were given next to nothing to do and then just disappeared either in a couple episodes or at the end of the show.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson