Massive Trade - Balt sends Orlando Brown Jr to Chiefs for picks

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I still don’t get it, though. Why would you give up a pretty good & potentially great cornerstone LT for late rounders? You’ll do that, but draft a RB at #16, smh Solarrrrrr.
Humphries has had 5 years to show he's much more than a solid LT. I'm not clamoring to replace him, but he's not a cornerstone either.

We have a potential out with him next year, and it wouldn't totally shock me if he ends up being a cap casualty next year with a more than $18 million cap hit, our roster pretty threadbare, and Kyler likely to see a contract extension. We'll be paying him as a top-5 OL at any position next year. Is he one? I don't think so.

I mean, it doesn't matter in the here and the now, but in a year it might.

Edit: It's not late round picks, either... it's a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd... that would put a team like ours that should be desperate to get younger in a position to walk away with 5 potential starters at a cost controlled price.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Humphries has had 5 years to show he's much more than a solid LT. I'm not clamoring to replace him, but he's not a cornerstone either.

We have a potential out with him next year, and it wouldn't totally shock me if he ends up being a cap casualty next year with a more than $18 million cap hit, our roster pretty threadbare, and Kyler likely to see a contract extension. We'll be paying him as a top-5 OL at any position next year. Is he one? I don't think so.

Edit: It's not late round picks, either... it's a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd... that would put a team like ours that should be desperate to get younger in a position to walk away with 5 potential starters at a cost controlled price.
Yeah. It I think they gave back 3rd and 5th with brown.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Again, let's pretend we're in a special world where things like who our GM is and the Humphries cap hit didn't count, lol...

Our team is hurting for young talent so badly.

So you give up a young in his prime LT and replace him with a 30-year old who tore his Achilles in January and a few lottery tickets: Extraordinaire!

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Yes, he is!

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So you give up a young in his prime LT and replace him with a 30-year old who tore his Achilles in January and a few lottery tickets: Extraordinaire!
I mean, this is all a silly thought exercise anyways. Honestly, if I were the Ravens I might not do what they did, but we aren't anywhere near their level of talent and have a very iffy future when it comes to young talent.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
We'll be paying him as a top-5 OL at any position next year. Is he one? I don't think so.

Reality check: even by today DJs contract averages are not among the top ten offensive lineman, and you wont get another LT in free agency even close to DJs quality for less. By next year, DJs contract will look even better.

If you have a solid LT, you keep him. You have to overpay on the open market for any LT.

You are overrating draft picks as well. On average, only one out of two late first rounders pans out for their team. Not to speak about probabilities for 2nd and 3rd rounders. To get a LT like DJ, you would have to invest at least a late 1st rounder, and this player has too pan out. It would be a lateral move at best.

And we are not especially known for good drafting, either.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, this is all a silly thought exercise anyways. Honestly, if I were the Ravens I might not do what they did, but we aren't anywhere near their level of talent and have a very iffy future when it comes to young talent.

The difference is that the Ravens still have a good LT on their roster. If we somehow luck into a 2nd good LT, I am supporting you in trading away one LT for draft picks like the Ravens did.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The difference is that the Ravens still have a good LT on their roster. If we somehow luck into a 2nd good LT, I am supporting you in trading away one LT for draft picks like the Ravens did.
I'm just quoting one post for the past two, but as far as DJ's salary goes, I wasn't trying to pass off the AAV of his deal as top 5, just that next year individually will be a top 5 salary where we stand today, and we have a potential out to save us $14 million plus in cap space. I don't want to put the cart before the horse, but we do have a possible OT waiting in the wings in Josh Jones.

Normally I support keeping proven players as possible, but grabbing 3 young, highly drafted players for what I view as a rebuild no matter what we do this year is enticing. But as QC and I disagree on, I don't see DJ as a cornerstone on this team.

I think most people by now know I'm an advocate of hitting the reset button on 90% of this team. If in two years this roster only had, say, Kyler, Baker, DHop, Hudson, and Simmons (maybe Jones/Lawrence/Fotu) in common with today's version of the roster & coaching staff, we're probably better off. Kugler and Buckner can come too if they bring beer.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You'd trade a close to Pro Bowl young LT on a great contract for late picks?

You realize that the chances of any of those picks becoming as good as Humphries is actually quite low.

They have Villenueva ready to sign, and they think thers is little to know drop off. That is a killer trade, almost no matter the haul.

That would be like if we had gotten Josh Jones, and he had blown us away and was ready to step in at LT with little or no drop off. Would I then trade the more expenive, more injury prone DJ Humphries for a first round pick and a few decent other picks???? Of course I would!

I guess my point is that anytime you can afford to trade away a player that the rest of the league wants....and you feel you can do it because you have someone ready to step in with little drop off....those are the types of trades good teams make in the long run. You are selling high and not seeing many players bolt in free agency because you already got something for them.

I wish we would have had a CB waiting in the wings so we could have traded PP21 at some point rather than have him leave.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They have Villenueva ready to sign, and they think thers is little to know drop off. That is a killer trade, almost no matter the haul.

That would be like if we had gotten Josh Jones, and he had blown us away and was ready to step in at LT with little or no drop off. Would I then trade the more expenive, more injury prone DJ Humphries for a first round pick and a few decent other picks???? Of course I would!
Villanueva is not even close to Orlando as a player lol the hell

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm just quoting one post for the past two, but as far as DJ's salary goes, I wasn't trying to pass off the AAV of his deal as top 5, just that next year individually will be a top 5 salary where we stand today, and we have a potential out to save us $14 million plus in cap space. I don't want to put the cart before the horse, but we do have a possible OT waiting in the wings in Josh Jones.

Normally I support keeping proven players as possible, but grabbing 3 young, highly drafted players for what I view as a rebuild no matter what we do this year is enticing. But as QC and I disagree on, I don't see DJ as a cornerstone on this team.

I think most people by now know I'm an advocate of hitting the reset button on 90% of this team. If in two years this roster only had, say, Kyler, Baker, DHop, Hudson, and Simmons (maybe Jones/Lawrence/Fotu) in common with today's version of the roster & coaching staff, we're probably better off. Kugler and Buckner can come too if they bring beer.
How do you include Simmons, but not DJ?

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Villanueva is not even close to Orlando as a player lol the hell

I have zero idea...Im telling you what the Ravens are saying to justify the trade. And its not Brown vs. Villenueva straight up

Its Brown vs. Villenueva + a rookie first rounder on a 5 year deal (around the same pick where they got their franchise QB) + several other picks that should produce based on the Ravens draft record.

Its a slam dunk, no brainer for the Ravens. They killed this trade.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have zero idea...Im telling you what the Ravens are saying to justify the trade. And its not Brown vs. Villenueva straight up

Its Brown vs. Villenueva + a rookie first rounder on a 5 year deal (around the same pick where they got their franchise QB) + several other picks that should produce based on the Ravens draft record.

They only “killed” the trade if those draft picks turn out to something worthwhile.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
How do you include Simmons, but not DJ?
For the sake of my own personal exercise I was just using guys under contract for 2023 at this point. Discussing DJ in that is a matter of re-signing him, what the market looks like, if Josh Jones develops... just more complicated. I think it's fair to say, even if Humphries improves a bit, if we thought Josh Jones looked really good, it wouldn't be wild to decide not to pay Humphries something like the top OL contract in the league.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They only “killed” the trade if those draft picks turn out to something worthwhile.

Again, look at the Ravens history. They just got 4 additional picks. One of those guys is going to be a good...maybe more. Ravens are the best drafting team in the league.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I don’t understand why no one is even apparently considering the drafts coming back from the ravens. Aren’t they sending a 3rd and 5th with brown? That devalues the trade from the ravens side considerably.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Again, look at the Ravens history. They just got 4 additional picks. One of those guys is going to be a good...maybe more. Ravens are the best drafting team in the league.
Again they are only netting 2 picks. They are sending back a 2nd and 6th.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Again they are only netting 2 picks. They are sending back a 2nd and 6th.

And giving up a VERY GOOD tackle...a tackle fresh off a season where he moved to the left side and played near pro bowl level.

They didn't move him for the picks...they moved him because he wants Ronnie Stanley money and they can't pay two tackles that kind of money in quick succession.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And giving up a VERY GOOD tackle...a tackle fresh off a season where he moved to the left side and played near pro bowl level.

They didn't move him for the picks...they moved him because he wants Ronnie Stanley money and they can't pay two tackles that kind of money in quick succession.
Right. This wasn’t a slam dunk in either direction imo. Pretty fair trade.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Brown gave up no sacks playing left tackle and earned Pro Bowl honors. He'll replace fellow Pro Bowler Eric Fisher who was a cap casualty. The Chiefs will be able to pay franchise type money next year to Brown. This is looking very well done by the Chiefs.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Looks like a fair trade for both parties. Edge will go to Baltimore if the Chiefs don't get him signed before he gets to FA or have to use the FT on him.