Massie suspended 3 games

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I was going to mention how my friends in the Vegas valley look at the law, but didn't want to say anything until Shane had put in his piece. It's more or less what I expected...

Police officers exist to keep the rest of the public safe, not to always stick to the letter of the law.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I golf with a police officer and a lot of how they treat the person is how the person treats the officer. Discretion is definitely used.

He told me if he pulls someone over who he can tell had a couple beers, would probably be a DUI, and the person isn't a complete jerk, he'll take their keys and allow them to call someone to get them. If a guy is an obnoxious buffoon and acts like an ass toward the officer, he's getting ticketed.

It's not a black and white law where if you're over .08, it's an automatic ticket.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Now that the report is out this is all moot. Massie has some issues of the things he says in the report are true and not just drunk speak. But whoever the security guard was who called the police on him should probably be fired for being a complete idiot and not recognizing a player's car pulling in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeeperaz

Rookie
Reaction score
Yeah it sounds like he has a serious drinking problem...

"The 305-pound offensive lineman told police he had been impaired by alcohol every day for the last ten years, but also said he did not believe he has an alcohol problem, the report said.
When asked if he took any medications, Massie volunteered that he “smoked,” later explaining that he smoked “weed” but did not recall the last time he did so, according to the report.
The report said that Massie appeared confused when he was questioned during the course of the investigation and his answers indicated he thought he was in Virginia; police reminded him that he was in Arizona."

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

"The 305-pound offensive lineman told police he had been impaired by alcohol every day for the last ten years, but also said he did not believe he has an alcohol problem, the report said.
When asked if he took any medications, Massie volunteered that he “smoked,” later explaining that he smoked “weed” but did not recall the last time he did so, according to the report.
The report said that Massie appeared confused when he was questioned during the course of the investigation and his answers indicated he thought he was in Virginia; police reminded him that he was in Arizona."

source?

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that the report is out this is all moot. Massie has some issues of the things he says in the report are true and not just drunk speak. But whoever the security guard was who called the police on him should probably be fired for being a complete idiot and not recognizing a player's car pulling in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You called it on the security guard:

Massie was arrested the day before the Super Bowl was played in Glendale, when the New England Patriots defeated the Seattle Seahawks. When asked why he drove into a parking lot at the training facility early in the morning, Massie told a police officer that he was there to pick up his Super Bowl tickets and that he had been at the Sand Bar earlier in the evening, the report said.

A security guard at the training complex in Tempe called police after seeing Massie park his white BMW, the report said. The security guard thought the car was suspicious.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it is a DUI and DUI penalty is typically 2 games, wonder why they gave him 3 games.

jeeperaz

Rookie
Reaction score
So it is a DUI and DUI penalty is typically 2 games, wonder why they gave him 3 games.

I think Goodell & CO have done a decent job of establishing they dole out whatever suspension they 'feel like'. Forget logic or fairness.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe because he admitted to smoking weed to the police? Of course without a failed drug test can he be disciplined for that?

I would think not, or they tried but an appeal would lift it. I bet he goes into substance abuse program though.

I think Goodell & CO have done a decent job of establishing they dole out whatever suspension they 'feel like'. Forget logic or fairness.

true.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

After pages upon pages of people trying to rationalize that Massie prob was in the right here and was just "sleeping his drunk off", that after its confirmed he was apparently TRASHED and driving, it's still Goodell who's the bad guy here.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
"The 305-pound offensive lineman told police he had been impaired by alcohol every day for the last ten years, but also said he did not believe he has an alcohol problem, the report said."

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Attention DJ Humphries

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps this is why he dropped like a rock in the draft.

Maybe some caught wind of his alcoholic tendencies.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After pages upon pages of people trying to rationalize that Massie prob was in the right here and was just "sleeping his drunk off", that after its confirmed he was apparently TRASHED and driving, it's still Goodell who's the bad guy here.

And the security guard. How dare he do his job?! :rolleyes:

jeeperaz

Rookie
Reaction score

Since you quoted my post...

First off, I wasn't one of those trying to defend Massie. Second, my comment was only about how it's futile trying to look for a logical explanation of why Massie is getting suspended for 3 games vs. the normal 2 games. Goodell has routinely shown he is inconsistent with his rulings.

If I made the rules, DUI would be punished much more severely than 2 or 3 games.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
After all that how could Massie even consider appealing his 3 games?!? If I were him I think I'd just shut up, serve my 3 games, get professional help, and hope no one pays more attention and allows me to continue making millions of dollars.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
If he has honestly been impaired everyday for the last 10 years Massie needs help and I really hope this is a wake up call for him.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

With our extreme DUI Laws, he'll wish he was in Virginia.

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
With our extreme DUI Laws, he'll wish he was in Virginia.

Now we know why DJ was picked in the first. This guy is as about as dumb as they come. Why would anyone offer that information to the police while being arrested for a DUI? I don't care how drunk you are, what would be the point of coming clean like that. In my opinion, they drafted DJ and don't plan on resigning Massie next year.